1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
34,621 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me in the context that Toyota has been downsizing all their models, such that the 3rd and 4th Gen Highlanders are now the size of RAV4s of yesteryear. IMO, Toyota is being deceptive in how they're marketing vehicles by downsizing them to reduce weight to improve mileage and increase profits, all the while selling them at an inappropriate size. An example again would be the Highlander, which they still list as a mid-sized SUV which is a massive joke. Compare the specifications of the Gen 2 versus a Gen 4 or else place them physically together, and one can clearly see the Gen 2 is truly a mid-size SUV while the Gen 4 is truly a small SUV. That is deception, pure and simple.

·
Camry Freak
1,087 Posts
I don't think it will be discontinued. It's selling at about the same rate that it has over the last ten years- about 3,500 pear year. While that is very low in terms of sales, remember that the profit margins on them are gigantic. Also remember that Toyota generally keeps a Land Cruiser generation for ten years or more without a major upgrade. So research and development costs can be spread out over a longer life cycle. Add to it the fact that many of those research and development costs are also carried by people who buy the Lexus version, which is largely identical mechanically.

It's also an iconic vehicle that has a very loyal customer base- a base that is willing to spend the money for these vehicles because they know and understand that although it costs a lot to get into a Land Cruiser, resale values are incredibly high and reliability is top-notch.

Personally, I see Toyota stringing the Land Cruiser along for another few years- then either giving this generation a third facelift or doing an overhaul in the next couple of years. The current generation came out in 2007- and has been substantially updated twice since then.

To me, I see Toyota dumping the Sequoia before the Land Cruiser. Unlike the Land Cruiser, which sales haven't decreased much over the past decade (It's consistently been about 3,500 per year dating back to 2005), the Sequoia's sales figures have dropped significantly over the past decade, largely because it's been totally ignored by Toyota since the current generation came out in 2007. Back then, Toyota sold 23,000 of them. Last year they sold 11,000. Although they sell more Sequoias than Land Cruisers, no one would be sad if they discontinued the Sequoia. There's nothing special about it. Worse, it's clearly not the best option in its class. Comparatively, if Toyota discontinued the Land Cruiser, people would notice and be upset. Land Cruisers are special- and almost in a class by themselves. They are simply built to a higher standard that no one else can match. No other manufacturer can sell you what the Land Cruiser offers- even at $75-80,000. Sure, A Range Rover could likely match its off-roading skills- but you'll pay more and good luck after the warranty runs out. No Jeep can combine the off-roading skills with reliability and features of the Land Cruiser. Mercedes, BMW, or Volvo? Sure- but again, good luck after the warranty runs out- as the repair and maintenance costs will be significantly more than you'd pay on a Land Cruiser.

Even better- Toyota knows that they can just keep selling them year after year with no substantial changes- and people will still buy them- even if the economy tanks. People still bought them at about the same rate during the recession of 2007-10. I think sales went down to 2,000 units those years- but then went right back up to the norm of 3,500/year.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it will be discontinued. It's selling at about the same rate that it has over the last ten years- about 3,500 pear year. While that is very low in terms of sales, remember that the profit margins on them are gigantic. Also remember that Toyota generally keeps a Land Cruiser generation for ten years or more without a major upgrade. So research and development costs can be spread out over a longer life cycle. Add to it the fact that many of those research and development costs are also carried by people who buy the Lexus version, which is largely identical mechanically.

It's also an iconic vehicle that has a very loyal customer base- a base that is willing to spend the money for these vehicles because they know and understand that although it costs a lot to get into a Land Cruiser, resale values are incredibly high and reliability is top-notch.

Personally, I see Toyota stringing the Land Cruiser along for another few years- then either giving this generation a third facelift or doing an overhaul in the next couple of years. The current generation came out in 2007- and has been substantially updated twice since then.

To me, I see Toyota dumping the Sequoia before the Land Cruiser. Unlike the Land Cruiser, which sales haven't decreased much over the past decade (It's consistently been about 3,500 per year dating back to 2005), the Sequoia's sales figures have dropped significantly over the past decade, largely because it's been totally ignored by Toyota since the current generation came out in 2007. Back then, Toyota sold 23,000 of them. Last year they sold 11,000. Although they sell more Sequoias than Land Cruisers, no one would be sad if they discontinued the Sequoia. There's nothing special about it. Worse, it's clearly not the best option in its class. Comparatively, if Toyota discontinued the Land Cruiser, people would notice and be upset. Land Cruisers are special- and almost in a class by themselves. They are simply built to a higher standard that no one else can match. No other manufacturer can sell you what the Land Cruiser offers- even at $75-80,000. Sure, A Range Rover could likely match its off-roading skills- but you'll pay more and good luck after the warranty runs out. No Jeep can combine the off-roading skills with reliability and features of the Land Cruiser. Mercedes, BMW, or Volvo? Sure- but again, good luck after the warranty runs out- as the repair and maintenance costs will be significantly more than you'd pay on a Land Cruiser.

Even better- Toyota knows that they can just keep selling them year after year with no substantial changes- and people will still buy them- even if the economy tanks. People still bought them at about the same rate during the recession of 2007-10. I think sales went down to 2,000 units those years- but then went right back up to the norm of 3,500/year.
This is a tough one. Like all of Toyota's off-roaders, they are considered "old school". Just look at the 4Runner, which is also the same in its approach. However, its popularity has never been that great, especially now with the TRD Pro models, much like the Tacoma. The biggest detriment of the LC has been its price tag, and how most other countries get a more down to earth version, whereas the LC we get comes with leather and all the stuff that most offroaders wouldn't care to have. We get deprived of a Land Cruiser Prado, since we get the Lexus GX.

Yeah, I think most LC sales go to those with "old money", that would keep it for its lifetime and not interested in the flash that others like the Escalade and RRs have (You dump these after the lease), but sell better in the US. Our market isn't that great compared to the Middle East, where these vehicles are even more popular.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
This is a tough one. Like all of Toyota's off-roaders, they are considered "old school". Just look at the 4Runner, which is also the same in its approach. However, its popularity has never been that great, especially now with the TRD Pro models, much like the Tacoma. The biggest detriment of the LC has been its price tag, and how most other countries get a more down to earth version, whereas the LC we get comes with leather and all the stuff that most offroaders wouldn't care to have. We get deprived of a Land Cruiser Prado, since we get the Lexus GX.

Yeah, I think most LC sales go to those with "old money", that would keep it for its lifetime and not interested in the flash that others like the Escalade and RRs have (You dump these after the lease), but sell better in the US. Our market isn't that great compared to the Middle East, where these vehicles are even more popular.
Toyota trucks are the best in the world, the Detroit Three are the best in North America. That is how I see it. I've always like the 90s Land Cruiser with the I6 and I enjoy what the current Land Cruiser is. I would like to get one but obviously I ain't gonna have any more for it.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toyota trucks are the best in the world, the Detroit Three are the best in North America. That is how I see it. I've always like the 90s Land Cruiser with the I6 and I enjoy what the current Land Cruiser is. I would like to get one but obviously I ain't gonna have any more for it.
Believe me, everyone who loves Toyota would love to have a Land Cruiser. Even with old ones, they keep their value oh so well. Most complain here why Toyota doesn't just give us those plain LCPs that they have overseas. Heck, I'd love to order a base spec Prado.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Believe me, everyone who loves Toyota would love to have a Land Cruiser. Even with old ones, they keep their value oh so well. Most complain here why Toyota doesn't just give us those plain LCPs that they have overseas. Heck, I'd love to order a base spec Prado.

I enjoy those too.

·
Premium Member
34,621 Posts
Toyota trucks are the best in the world
Just ask all the third world militias that have turned one flavor or another of Toyotas into "technicals." Reliability you can count on. LOL! I think I could identify every Toyota truck by its silhouette under any adverse conditions.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Just ask all the third world militias that have turned one flavor or another of Toyotas into "technicals." Reliability you can count on. LOL! I think I could identify every Toyota truck by its silhouette under any adverse conditions.
It could also just be a importation issue too along with parts availability. I don't know the import figures of US trucks of course... To me too, it's also something where like if in the US you have a boat you may have a pickup truck. The rest of the world, if you have a boat it is moored or you rent a service to move it from coast to coast.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It could also just be a importation issue too along with parts availability. I don't know the import figures of US trucks of course... To me too, it's also something where like if in the US you have a boat you may have a pickup truck. The rest of the world, if you have a boat it is moored or you rent a service to move it from coast to coast.
The reason why our trucks are different here is the 'chicken tax' and consumer taste. Chicken tax is why we don't imported trucks. Plus, the trucks that most Americans buy are big, which wouldn't work in other continents. Tundras are sold mostly here, and would do well in places where gas is cheap.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
The reason why our trucks are different here is the 'chicken tax' and consumer taste. Chicken tax is why we don't imported trucks. Plus, the trucks that most Americans buy are big, which wouldn't work in other continents. Tundras are sold mostly here, and would do well in places where gas is cheap.
Sounds about right, as far as I know the Tundra, Tacoma, and most likely the 4Runner are designed here for the US market.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds about right, as far as I know the Tundra, Tacoma, and most likely the 4Runner are designed here for the US market.
yep sums it up right. Because 'Murica, these things are selling pretty well now at the expense of the cars lol. IDK, I want a 4Runner too. The updated 2020 one with the better infotainment with Carplay/Android Auto sparks my interest even more.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
yep sums it up right. Because 'Murica, these things are selling pretty well now at the expense of the cars lol. IDK, I want a 4Runner too. The updated 2020 one with the better infotainment with Carplay/Android Auto sparks my interest even more.
I mostly want a Tacoma Access Cab as a work truck because having a bed just helps. I would take the Land Cruiser as a luxery/semi-work/maybe off-road use. I would sorta prefer a 90s Land Cruiser but... it's a 90's era Land Cruiser... so rust is an issue, I am not fond of old technology o_O and who knows what's been done to it. Now give me a brand new 90s Land Crusier, that I would take.

·
Token Aussie
1,733 Posts
With a line like that, you need to be on Toyota's marketing team. LOL
Landcruisers are serious business in Australia - roughly 10% of worldwide annual sales are here, and the combined 200/70-series is consistently in the top 10 per month (150 Prados are counted separately.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts