Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for those with the 'Technology Package'.....
  • Lane Departure - In addition to audible tone when veering over a painted line, is there any kind of 'visual alert - blinking lights, etc' that engage? If so, where does this display actually?
  • Pre-Collision Avoidance - same question basically, is there a display of any sort that shows on either the center LCD or Nav screen when the system is engaged as a visual warning/alert that coincides with the audible alerts?

Thanks! Just wondering what it looks like when it 'goes off.'

·
Registered
2007 Acura TL Type S
367 Posts
I test drove a Platinum last week for a better part of the day (great vehicle btw). I did not get to experience pre-collision avoidance, but I tested lane departure several times and it worked flawlessly. Like you said there is an audible tone that is not too intrusive, just loud enough that you can hear. In addition to that a visual display comes up on the MID (screen in the middle of the gauge cluster), that shows a picture of your vehicle and whichever lane you are veering into flashes an orangish color. I would imagine pre-collision does basically the same with audible tone and visual display on the MID.
Radar cruise control worked excellent as well. Cant wait to get one of these things for my wife!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just don't know other than hearing the audible tone with the lane departure once. I just haven't had lane departure on much. Pre-collision is tougher to test, but I think it engaged one time when I was coming up on a vehicle in front of me that had stopped. I felt the brakes engage and I don't think I had the cruise control on at the time but I may have.

Reactions: Toddsta

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just curious for those with the 'Technology Package'.....
  • Lane Departure - In addition to audible tone when veering over a painted line, is there any kind of 'visual alert - blinking lights, etc' that engage? If so, where does this display actually?
  • Pre-Collision Avoidance - same question basically, is there a display of any sort that shows on either the center LCD or Nav screen when the system is engaged as a visual warning/alert that coincides with the audible alerts?

Thanks! Just wondering what it looks like when it 'goes off.'
Yes and yes. The visual comes up in the driver console and has audible tone as well. There may be a youtube video showing the system in action.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a few years old... and seems to be for Lexus.... but wonder if it is the same used now in the Highlander? It also shows there being a sensor which detects if you start 'dozing'.... and it will apply the brakes if it detects this.... wonder if this is integrated into the Highlander system?

Then, this newer video also has 'pedestrian' avoidance built in..... wonder if that is integrated also?

Not seeing one specifically for the Highlander.

·
Registered
868 Posts
There is a description in the owner's manual online here:
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM48A12U/pdf/sec_04-05.pdf

Lane Departure Alert is on page 280. There are illustrations of what should be shown on the dash display. Interestingly, they show one for the monochrome display found in the LE and one for the color display, even though it's only currently available on the Limited a/a tech or Platinum.

Reactions: Toddsta

·
Registered
22 Posts
Toyota has different systems and I'm a little disappointed that the one for the highlander is not as advance as what is available or out there. Lexus and some other Toyota models have an advance pre-collision system. The highlander only has the basic one. The lane departure is just as what has already been stated. The pre-collision system (PCS) pre-loads the brakes for you and slow the car down a little but it will not stop the car. According to the IIHS test (they tested a limited platinium) "Low-speed autobrake:" "In the 12 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 7 mph." "High-speed autobrake:" "In the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 6 mph."

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/highlander

the radar cruise will also deactivate if speeds are below 35mph. This is the Toyota video of how our PCS works :

Our system is pretty much the same as the 2010 Prius. See it in action here:

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ex.... it seems like the PCS should have engaged sooner.... and it appeared to only shave about 5 mph off the impact.... which I suppose is somewhat significant??

Good that it locks up the seatbelts for possible impact though!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure if it is helpful to shave off 5ish mph, maybe it is more for marketing purpose. It would be nice if the system actually stopped the car for you. I was looking at the IIHS website and Hyundai has a system that totally avoided the collision.

"Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision. 2 points

High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision. 3 points "

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/hyundai/genesis

·
Registered
982 Posts
I drove with the Lane Departure on today and purposely went out of bounds to see whazzup. Yes, there is a quick ringing tone to let you know plus the center info screen between the guages lights up and highlights the side of the lane which you are offending.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My thoughts on the pre-collision system are mixed. On the one hand it really could help you if you were not paying attention. On the other hand, on a very windy road, I could see it going off unnecessarily. There is a switch to turn it off, but 99% of the population wouldn't know how or when to use it even if they knew it existed. Most people just buy cars and are mostly clueless to the technology.

I can also see it being a problem while trying to take a left across traffic.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assume the Lane Departure works like the LD in my 2013 Equinox; it only sounds the alarm if you start to cross a painted line WITHOUT using your blinker.....it assumes since you didn't use a turn indicator you were either d4ifting due to distraction or sleeping. Worked flawlessly.....to those who don't use thie turn signals? Shame on you - it's rude and dangerous and where did you learn how to drive?

I did experience occasional times where the pre-collision system engaged with no cars around me whatsoever. ..

·
Registered
776 Posts
My thoughts on the pre-collision system are mixed. On the one hand it really could help you if you were not paying attention. On the other hand, on a very windy road, I could see it going off unnecessarily. There is a switch to turn it off, but 99% of the population wouldn't know how or when to use it even if they knew it existed. Most people just buy cars and are mostly clueless to the technology.

I can also see it being a problem while trying to take a left across traffic.
My understanding of the system is that it only works when cruise control is on. If that is correct, I shouldn't think that someone would be using cruise control while turning and crossing traffic.

Not that it would never happen, or has never happened. Stranger things have been attempted by others. I, on the other hand, have never done anything stupid behind the wheel. :>)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My understanding of the system is that it only works when cruise control is on. If that is correct, I shouldn't think that someone would be using cruise control while turning and crossing traffic.

Not that it would never happen, or has never happened. Stranger things have been attempted by others. I, on the other hand, have never done anything stupid behind the wheel. :>)
It is always on, unless turned off. There are some flaws to it. If it remembered correctly the manual describes certain situation when it gives a false positive; thus, the need to turn it off.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It is always on, unless turned off. There are some flaws to it. If it remembered correctly the manual describes certain situation when it gives a false positive; thus, the need to turn it off.
That's why I am a member of this forum; I learn so much! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
From the manual (p.306):

PCS (Pre-Collision System)
When the radar sensor detects that a frontal collision is highly
likely or even unavoidable, safety systems such as the brakes
and seat belts are automatically engaged to lessen impact as
well as vehicle damage.
The pre-collision system can be turned on and off as necessary by
operating the switch. (→P. 307)

◆ Pre-collision warning
When a high possibility of a
frontal collision is detected, the
pre-collision system warning
light flashes, a buzzer sounds
and a message is shown on the
multi-information display to
urge the driver to take evasive
action.

◆ Pre-collision brake assist
When there is a high possibility of a frontal collision, the system
applies greater braking force in relation to how strongly the brake
pedal is depressed.
The system may not warn the driver using a warning light, warning
display and buzzer when the system detects and judges braking
operations.

◆ Pre-collision braking
When there is a high possibility of a frontal collision, the system
warns the driver using a warning light, warning display and buzzer.
If the system determines that a collision is unavoidable, the brakes
are automatically applied to reduce the collision speed.

■The pre-collision system is operational when

The PCS OFF switch is not pressed and the following conditions are met:

●Pre-collision warning:
• Vehicle speed is greater than about 10 mph (15 km/h).
• The speed at which your vehicle is approaching the obstacle or the vehicle
running ahead of you is greater than about 10 mph (15 km/h).

●Pre-collision brake assist:
• The VSC OFF switch is not pressed.
• Vehicle speed is greater than about 19 mph (30 km/h).
running ahead of you is greater than about 19 mph (30 km/h).
• The brake pedal is depressed.

●Pre-collision braking:
• The VSC OFF switch is not pressed.
• Vehicle speed is greater than about 10 mph (15 km/h).
running ahead of you is greater than about 10 mph (15 km/h).

■Conditions that may trigger the system even if there is no danger of a
collision

●When there is an object by the roadside at the entrance to a curve
●When passing an oncoming vehicle on a curve
●When driving over a narrow iron bridge
●When there is a metal object on the road surface
●When driving on an uneven road surface
●When passing an oncoming vehicle on a left-turn
●When your vehicle rapidly closes on the vehicle in front
●When a grade separation/interchange, sign, billboard, or other structure
appears to be directly in the vehicle’s line of travel
●When there is a metal plate in the road in front of the vehicle on a downhill
slope
●When climbing a steep hill causes an overhead billboard or other metallic
structure to appear directly in the vehicle’s line of travel
●When driving under an overpass
●When an extreme change in vehicle height occurs
●When passing through certain toll gates
●When passing through a tunnel
●When the radar sensor moves off position due to its surrounding area being
subjected to a strong impact

When the system is activated in the situations described above, there is also
a possibility that the brakes will be applied with a force greater than normal.

■Obstacles not detected
The sensor cannot detect plastic obstacles such as traffic cones. There may
also be occasions when the sensor cannot detect pedestrians, animals, bicycles,
motorcycles, trees, or snowdrifts.

■Situations in which the pre-collision system does not function properly

The system may not function effectively in situations such as the following:
●On roads with sharp bends or uneven surfaces
●If a vehicle suddenly moves in front of your vehicle, such as at an intersection
●If a vehicle suddenly cuts in front of your vehicle, such as when overtaking
●In inclement weather such as heavy rain, fog, snow or sand storms
●If the vehicle is skidding when VSC is not operating
●When an extreme change in vehicle height occurs
●When only part of your vehicle’s front end collides with, or contacts, a vehicle
or object in a frontal collision
●When the radar sensor moves off position due to its surrounding area being
subjected to a strong impact

■Automatic cancelation of the pre-collision system
When a malfunction occurs due to sensor contamination, etc. that results in
the sensors being unable to detect obstacles, the pre-collision system will be
automatically disabled. In this case, the system will not activate even if there
is a collision possibility.

■When there is a malfunction in the system
The pre-collision system warning light will flash and warning messages will be
displayed. (→P. 564, 579)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pre collision
The center display lights up red with some word on it. Don't know didn't have time to read it :).
On a different occasion I was doing about 45 down a back road with alot of humps close together and noticed for a split second that the center display lit up red but it went right away. It didn't beep or try to apply the breaks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.