Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife's 2020 Highlander Limited to the dealer today for the 20K service. I told the service writer that the lane keeping assist makes the car wander to the left and right constantly. He said that there were other similar complaints and that Toyota is working on software upgrade for this problem. How many other people are having the same issue?

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum Blueprint/Glazed Caramel
31 Posts
I took my wife's 2020 Highlander Limited to the dealer today for the 20K service. I told the service writer that the lane keeping assist makes the car wander to the left and right constantly. He said that there were other similar complaints and that Toyota is working on software upgrade for this problem. How many other people are having the same issue?
Ooo, me! Me me! I have the 2021 HiHy it’s been doing it since the day I bought it. When I took in in for the 5K service they said it’s suppose to do that. I had to show him the manual where it clearly shows it’s suppose to stay in the center. They didn’t help. So I went to another dealer at my 10K with that same issue and SO many more they were no help. I would have loved to hear that Toyota is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. Thank you Very much for letting me know. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooo, me! Me me! I have the 2021 HiHy it’s been doing it since the day I bought it. When I took in in for the 5K service they said it’s suppose to do that. I had to show him the manual where it clearly shows it’s suppose to stay in the center. They didn’t help. So I went to another dealer at my 10K with that same issue and SO many more they were no help. I would have loved to hear that Toyota is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. Thank you Very much for letting me know. :)
I HOPE that they do deliver on the promise of a fix. That same service writer tried to "upsell" me on a 4 wheel alignment. The dealership I use must have a commitment to sell alignments to each customer as I saw on a board that almost all customers were getting alignments. $99/per customer profit for unnecessary service will not fix this!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
544 Posts
I HOPE that they do deliver on the promise of a fix. That same service writer tried to "upsell" me on a 4 wheel alignment. The dealership I use must have a commitment to sell alignments to each customer as I saw on a board that almost all customers were getting alignments. $99/per customer profit for unnecessary service will not fix this!
Here's my .02 opinion on how this works...... a dealer does not buy an expensive piece of equipment for altruistic reasons, they buy it to make money. Idle equipment makes zero bucks, even worse, if used infrequently may not even pay back the cost of investment. So if you got it....use it.......whenever an opportunity or excuse presents itself.

And this concept is not unique to car dealers, e.g.
Same applies to medical equipment, & when combined with a CYA attitude ......if you arrive with a complaint or maybe even just for a check up......look forward to being connected and/or shoved into some piece of high tech equipment, or worse have some piece of high tech equipment shoved into you.

·
Registered
21 Highlander Platinum Hybrid
126 Posts
AFAIK, there is a difference between the 2020 and 2021 models. 2020 has Safety Sense 2.0, whereas 2021 has 2.5+, which has improved radar and software. In particular they claim enhanced lane keeping assist, and they have added curve speed management. My 2021 platinum hybrid works just fine on cruise control, staying right in the middle of the lane with no wandering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's my .02 opinion on how this works...... a dealer does not buy an expensive piece of equipment for altruistic reasons, they buy it to make money. Idle equipment makes zero bucks, even worse, if used infrequently may not even pay back the cost of investment. So if you got it....use it.......whenever an opportunity or excuse presents itself.

And this concept is not unique to car dealers, e.g.
Same applies to medical equipment, & when combined with a CYA attitude ......if you arrive with a complaint or maybe even just for a check up......look forward to being connected and/or shoved into some piece of high tech equipment, or worse have some piece of high tech equipment shoved into you.
I agree with you... I just get upset with a dealer that is trying to take advantage of people that do not know better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive both TSS2.0 and TSS2.5+, and never experienced any issue with lane assist feature.
This feature needs both front camera and radar to work properly. Make sure there's nothing in the way of the camera. I think the camera is located at the top of the front windshield.
AFAIK, there is a difference between the 2020 and 2021 models. 2020 has Safety Sense 2.0, whereas 2021 has 2.5+, which has improved radar and software. In particular they claim enhanced lane keeping assist, and they have added curve speed management. My 2021 platinum hybrid works just fine on cruise control, staying right in the middle of the lane with no wandering.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I don't like to use this feature, but since it keeps coming up I figured I'd give it another whirl today.

I think it works pretty well under ideal conditions - there's now a stretch of new pavement with fresh lines not far from me. It worked great in that area, although I can still see what people mean about it not staying 100% perfectly centered. As the road went up and down a little bit (not many roads other than expressways are perfectly flat), the car did move from side to side just a little bit. But as I concentrated on the lines on either side of me, I noticed that the up and down slopes actually create the illusion of the lines not being straight. Again, it's because the road isn't perfectly flat. And they didn't put out laser sight lines when they painted the lines either.

Of course the back-and-forth feeling gets worse as soon as the nice new pavement ended and I was back to gray asphalt with faded lines. And all bets are off as soon as you approach a turn lane and the center line and the fog line spread apart for the turn lane.

I definitely don't think there's a problem with the system. It's meant to be an assist technology, not autonomous lane centering. And I believe some of the back-and-forth movement of the steering wheel is there to make sure your hand is on the wheel. The system cuts off as soon as it thinks you let go of the wheel.

Why don't I use it? The big reason is that I tend to hug the fog line on two-lane roads. Driving in the center of the lane puts me closer to the oncoming traffic than I'm used to. The second reason is that I find the back-and-forth feeling in the steering wheel, slight as it is most of the time, very distracting. For those two reasons alone, I'd rather drive the car myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: 7/14/2021
Someone recommended that I contact Toyota Corporate about this issue. I am glad that I did. Toyota corporate was able to pull up the full repair order and the service writer at my local dealership at Sparks Toyota - Myrtle Beach, SC did not document my complaint in my records. Corporate claimed that there there are no current plans to update the "Safety Sense" program that controls the Lane Keeping Assist on this car. If you are having the same issue, I highly recommend that you also contact Toyota corporate and get them involved. I was very direct in my conversation in that I expect that this important safety feature work as intended. I believe that this at least got their attention as I believe that Toyota does not want to have something like this out there.

This is the link I used to contact them: Toyota FAQs | Send Questions to Toyota Customer Service

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine feels like it always wants to pull me to the left and ride the line. The other day I was riding in the left lane with jersey barriers to my left, and it felt like it wanted to put me into the wall. I love the radar cruise control however I can do without the lane-keeping assist as I feel that I am constantly fighting the system to stay in the center of the lane. I just have to figure out how to turn it off. It's a new car and I haven't had the time to play with the buttons much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't like to use this feature, but since it keeps coming up I figured I'd give it another whirl today.

I think it works pretty well under ideal conditions - there's now a stretch of new pavement with fresh lines not far from me. It worked great in that area, although I can still see what people mean about it not staying 100% perfectly centered. As the road went up and down a little bit (not many roads other than expressways are perfectly flat), the car did move from side to side just a little bit. But as I concentrated on the lines on either side of me, I noticed that the up and down slopes actually create the illusion of the lines not being straight. Again, it's because the road isn't perfectly flat. And they didn't put out laser sight lines when they painted the lines either.

Of course the back-and-forth feeling gets worse as soon as the nice new pavement ended and I was back to gray asphalt with faded lines. And all bets are off as soon as you approach a turn lane and the center line and the fog line spread apart for the turn lane.

I definitely don't think there's a problem with the system. It's meant to be an assist technology, not autonomous lane centering. And I believe some of the back-and-forth movement of the steering wheel is there to make sure your hand is on the wheel. The system cuts off as soon as it thinks you let go of the wheel.

Why don't I use it? The big reason is that I tend to hug the fog line on two-lane roads. Driving in the center of the lane puts me closer to the oncoming traffic than I'm used to. The second reason is that I find the back-and-forth feeling in the steering wheel, slight as it is most of the time, very distracting. For those two reasons alone, I'd rather drive the car myself.
You may want to get the dealership to check it out first, then, you may want to contact Toyota Corporate at: Toyota FAQs | Send Questions to Toyota Customer Service if they don't fix it at the dealership. It is worth a try. I have had other cars with this feature and there were no such issues.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Sorry, but as I mentioned, I don't use the feature anyway. I'm also not convinced mine has anything wrong with it. It can't work miracles if the road isn't straight and the painted lines are sub-par. I'm sure the technology will keep evolving as the years go on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been driving a HiHy 2021 for two weeks with comma 2/Openpilot. It does an amazing job of lane centering. Much more robust than the stock TSS. See the Consumer Reports review and their website but I've been flabbergasted at how well it performs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While my Lexus was in the shop I had a 2021 Lexus RX350 loaner with . It did the Safety Sense 2.5, and it did the exact same thing. It slowly wondered between the lines and this was on the interstate with good road markings. If a cop was behind me I would swear he would pull me over for DWI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While my Lexus was in the shop I had a 2021 Lexus RX350 loaner with . It did the Safety Sense 2.5, and it did the exact same thing. It slowly wondered between the lines and this was on the interstate with good road markings. If a cop was behind me I would swear he would pull me over for DWI.
I hate to hear that the '21 has the same issue. I had a '16 Honda Accord that used to all but drive itself. It worked amazingly well and I expect Toyota/Lexus to always have a one up on Honda - especially newer technology than what I used to own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've posted this information on other subjects....repeating here:

Is your Cruise Control on? When the Cruise Control is off, only the Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) is enabled to keep a vehicle in the lane using minimal assistance that results in the ping-ponging between the lane lines. However, with Cruise Control on, the Lane Centering function becomes active keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane. I have driven many times between Chicago and Florida...works great. (2021 Highlander Hybrid). From the owner's manual:

Lane centering function:
This function is linked with
dynamic radar cruise control
with full-speed range and provides
the required assistance by
operating the steering wheel to
keep the vehicle in its current
lane.

When dynamic radar cruise control
with full-speed range is not operating,
the lane centering function
does not operate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've posted this information on other subjects....repeating here:

Is your Cruise Control on? When the Cruise Control is off, only the Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) is enabled to keep a vehicle in the lane using minimal assistance that results in the ping-ponging between the lane lines. However, with Cruise Control on, the Lane Centering function becomes active keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane. I have driven many times between Chicago and Florida...works great. (2021 Highlander Hybrid). From the owner's manual:

Lane centering function:
This function is linked with
dynamic radar cruise control
with full-speed range and provides
the required assistance by
operating the steering wheel to
keep the vehicle in its ch
Thank you for sharing this information. I posted this based on my experiences with driving on various roads, including interstate, four lane local highways, two lane highways, etc. all while using the Dynamic Cruise Control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hopefully a mildly amusing observation.

I bought a 2021 XSE for my girlfriend.

Like others, I do not particularly like This feature along with a couple of others.

But, Toyota puts them into the vehicles as part of a package.

This you get..... but.... a seat memory button is not available in the XSE.

Apparently that is a bridge too far and too much to ask..... lol

It seems to me like they felt rushed to match competitors, and put technology into the vehicles that was not yet mature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OP: We also have the same experience in our Highlander but have not yet informed the dealer coz of the run around. In comparison, our 2019 RAV4 which has the same feature is more stable and consistent and better at keeping center in slight curves. I think they dulled it down in the Highlander. I hope Toyota will issue a software update.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts