Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When using the 09 Sienna Cruise Control, the Laser Cruise Control adjusts a fairly large gap of 5 mph increments - standard cruise adjusts a more favorable 1 mph increments.

According to the manual, Canadian Sienna specs for the Laser Cruise can adjust by 3 mph increments.

Can the Laser internal settings be changed to 1 or 3 mph increments?

·
Registered
236 Posts
(How about that... your first post; my first post... :)

As far as I know, you cannot change the Laser-mode step-up/step-down increments. If they're different in Canada vs. the U.S. models, it might be because Canada emphasizes the Metric speed measurement over the English (MPH).

Frankly, I really prefer the 5-mph increments myself, as it's a lot easier to dial in a quick, significant change. When you first engage Laser-mode cruise (as configured on my '05 XLE AWD), it will engage at exactly the current speed (e.g. 37 mph). It only goes to the nearest 5-mph increment when you first try to increase or decrease speed (e.g. 40 mph or 35 mph respectively), and then continues in 5-mph steps after that. On the few occasions when I've had to resort to Manual mode, it was really annoying to have to keep waggling the control stalk to step up or down in little 1-mph increments.

After all, the Laser mode is maintaining a safe following distance anyway, so you don't really need to fine-tune your intended setting; you need only have it high enough to "see" and safely follow the cars in front, without receding back from the traffic in front of you.

--
Andy Green
2005 XLE AWD Limited

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laser cruise increments

Thanks for the info Andy. My preference for single mph increments is greater likelihood in traffic enforcement mishaps. Going 10 miles an hour over the speed limit and you're begging for a ticket, especially in these stressed financial times where traffic enforcement has become more of a revenue stream for the financial strapped towns and states. Going 4 mph or 9 mph and your much less likely to get nabbed. I also like to go with the flow of traffic and that is why I think smaller increments make for safer travel. I understand this increases the waggling of the stalk, but it far better to be below the radar and with the flow.

Single mph increments are much more subtle in speed changes. You might have noticed, adjusting the stalk to a faster 5 mph, makes the Sienna's transmission step down and accelerate uncomfortably for all passengers and neighboring vehicles on the highway, till it reaches its set speed.

I just wish someone knew of a way to personalize the increments...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the info Andy. My preference for single mph increments is greater likelihood in traffic enforcement mishaps. Going 10 miles an hour over the speed limit and you're begging for a ticket, especially in these stressed financial times where traffic enforcement has become more of a revenue stream for the financial strapped towns and states. Going 4 mph or 9 mph and your much less likely to get nabbed.
I suppose so... although if you suddenly feel a need to drop your own speed down without making an obvious tromp on the brakes, I can tell you that it's a great relief to be able to drop the setting 5 mph with one touch, as opposed to having to go WaggleWaggleWaggleWaggleWaggle to achieve the same thing in 1-mph increments... :)

If you definitely want to have laser mode and a set speed of, say, 39 mph instead of 40, you can get that by carefully eyeballing the speedometer and hitting the Cruise activation when the speedo shows you 39 mph.

I also like to go with the flow of traffic and that is why I think smaller increments make for safer travel. I understand this increases the waggling of the stalk, but it far better to be below the radar and with the flow.
Um... but that's what the laser assist is doing for you: maintaining your following distance (which you can adjust) from the car in front, enabling you to go with the flow without having to periodically tap the brakes and accelerate again afterwards. For example, if the flow of traffic is 37 mph, you can dial in 40, and it will carry you at 37 like everyone else, assuming that the car in front of you is doing 37. Technically, your speed will be whatever the guy in front of you is doing, up to the limit of whatever maximum you have set.

(Let me tell you, it's great fun to discreetly check the speed of the cruising cop in front of you that way, without having to get so close to him that he notices the attention.)

Single mph increments are much more subtle in speed changes. You might have noticed, adjusting the stalk to a faster 5 mph, makes the Sienna's transmission step down and accelerate uncomfortably for all passengers and neighboring vehicles on the highway, till it reaches its set speed.
It depends on the amount of extra speed that you have dialed in, as well as (most significantly) whether the system was tracking a car in front at the time you initiated the increase.

There are different levels of acceleration that the system will select, depending on whether a car in front had been sighted when the new speed (or a Resume of the current speed) was set. If one had been seen, even if it's not seen anymore, the acceleration rate will be very slow -- almost agonizingly so -- because the system is holding back deliberately, in case the car in front pops up again (e.g. when following someone around a tight curve in the road, and occasionally losing sight of them). The system is programmed to avoid a lurching acceleration in that scenario, which would be followed by an equally abrupt slam on the brakes as soon as it found the lead car again.

If you know the car in front is gone for good, such as someone who turned off onto a side road, you can goose the system out of its slow-resume mode by tapping the gas pedal a bit.

I just wish someone knew of a way to personalize the increments...
Yeah, I don't believe the increments are adjustable, although I have to respect the programming that was put into the system; it seems really good under most circumstances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts