Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://jalopnik.com/5840709/the-death-of-the-ford-crown-victoria-is-a-sad-day-for-america
Death of Ford Crown Victoria
By Justin Hyde Sep 15, 2011 3:45 PM

The death of the Ford Crown Victoria is a sad day for America

Today, the Ford Crown Victoria, a slope-nosed metal box with an unquenchable thirst for gas built with manufacturing methods Henry Ford would have recognized, died after 32 years of production. Here's why its passing marks the sad end of a great American era.

The vibrant white Crown Victoria that rolled off its Candian assembly line this afternoon marks the last of a V8-powered breed, an endangered species of vehicles that modern America was built by and for. It's not that the "Panther" platform underpinning the Vic, the Lincoln Town Car and other models was ever groundbreaking — it was derided as slow and small from the moment it launched in 1979.

Yet no other American car has ever proven as durable, which is why Ford built 9.6 million of them. Taxi and police fleets routinely put 200,000 miles on Crown Vics and Town Cars. Having its body built separate from its frame meant Crown Vics could survive collisions that would total lesser unit-body vehicles. And police departments grew to rely on them not just for their roominess and durability; hitting a curb at high speed in a Crown Vic wouldn't end a pursuit by bending a drive shaft the way it could in a front-wheel-drive car. It even does well off-road.

Even though most of the Panthers built became taxis or cop cars, the Panther cars were superior interstate cruisers. They came from the era when thousands of children were tortured by squirming next to their siblings on road trips, without infotainment cocoon and yacht-quality captain's chairs to save them from the inspirations of boredom.

By the 1990s, older Crown Vics became sought after by hot rodders; there's often still no cheaper way to get a V8 car turning its rear wheels, just like the 1932 Ford V8s that sparked hot-rodding culture in America. All engines make noise, and a modern turbocharged four-cylinder can surpass the Crown Vic's power, but a V8 makes a feeling, a tremor that transmits through steel and plastic and time.

The official cause of the Crown Vic's death is neglect. The Panther platform made a mint for Ford over the years, but the line was already a corporate stepchild by the late 1980s. The last major coin dropped by Ford on those models came in 2003 with the souped-up Mercury Marauder, which only exists because the executive in charge was a member of the Ford family. Today they're collectors items, a status rare among Ford sedans from the past two decades.

It wasn't a lack of money or know-how or popular demand that doomed the Crown Vic and the Town Car; making old tech new is how Ford has made the F-Series pickup America's most popular vehicle, and taxi companies have been hoarding the last Panthers they could buy. Rather, it was a lack of will by Ford, a bet on technology and global engineering rather than simplicity and affordability.

The Crown Vic isn't the last American rear-wheel-drive V8 sedan, but thanks to a combination of regulations and avarice, it may be the last one that's accessible — not just to everyday buyers, but to people who love it enough to make it their own. Just as Henry Ford imagined his cars should be.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
5,615 Posts
There really is nothing great about these cars. The only reason some people are sad is because it's the death of a BOF sedan, but its death should've been years ago. They handled like shit, the build quality was laughably bad, and the power output from the civilian version V8 was paltry.

·
11,318 Posts
There really is nothing great about these cars. The only reason some people are sad is because it's the death of a BOF sedan, but its death should've been years ago. They handled like shit, the build quality was laughably bad, and the power output from the civilian version V8 was paltry.

Hater j/k:) CV was really not a bad car, plus it was a very comfortable relaxed highway cruiser

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Or the front wheel drive intrepid and impala, which are about as intimidating as the cops who wear shorts. :facepalm:

·
straight cash homie
18,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They sold well, that's why they were great to Ford. Many PDs and LEOs are slowly warming up to the newer cars like the Charger, but many still love the CVPIs just like many families love their Camrys and don't want them to change. I took a walk by the police department in my little city, and I saw two new CVPIs without plates...looks like they were one of the many departments in the country to buy up the last of them.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
5,615 Posts
They sold well, that's why they were great to Ford. Many PDs and LEOs are slowly warming up to the newer cars like the Charger, but many still love the CVPIs just like many families love their Camrys and don't want them to change. I took a walk by the police department in my little city, and I saw two new CVPIs without plates...looks like they were one of the many departments in the country to buy up the last of them.
I'm sure they're fantastic for the type of use the Police Depts need, but as a car for civilans, it was way past its prime.

I do like the fact that their headlights are recognizable at night, so it's easy to tell if one is coming up and it's likely a cop..giving you a chance to slow down before you pass him. :lol:

·
Banned as a troll
0 Posts
I'm sure they're fantastic for the type of use the Police Depts need, but as a car for civilans, it was way past its prime.

I do like the fact that their headlights are recognizable at night, so it's easy to tell if one is coming up and it's likely a cop..giving you a chance to slow down before you pass him. :lol:
Got news for ya...it's too late by then. ;)

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
^ I know that all to well.

It is sad to see it go, they were tanks of cars. When I used to work at an oil change shop we used to get a ton of taxi guys coming in once a week with Crown Vics. The odometer on the cars I seen read anywhere from 400,000 to 800,000; and from what I was told they had little or no problems. The only complaint about them was fuel consumption. These new police cars have big shoes to fill.

·
Save The Manuals
1,837 Posts
+ 1

For me, recognizing any cop's headlights has saved my ass a few times. :lol:

·
TN の がしょう
7,388 Posts
I've noticed that the new Chargers have a distinct headlight distinction at night used by the Police and Chippies (CA equivalent to State Troopers). Can't really explain it with words...it's just...yeah. :lol:

I won't miss them as much, but the new Chargers are starting to sprout out more and are getting more common with the CVs now. My city has unmarked Malibus in their fleet and I've seen a few pulling people over. It even has civilian plates to fool people but it's a full-fledge patrol car.

I'd like to see the new Police Interceptors and Caprices on the roads soon. It's going to remind me of the 90s when Chevy, Ford, and Chryslers were competing each other in that market.

·
Premium Member
34,419 Posts
Makes you wonder what the police in a place like Monaco drive given the boatload of money there. Could it be the one place on the planet where the police drive Maserati Quattroportes? :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'd like to see the new Police Interceptors and Caprices on the roads soon. It's going to remind me of the 90s when Chevy, Ford, and Chryslers were competing each other in that market.
Indeed, but of course this was during the time when GM was managed with some idiots who decided the B platform was not profitable enough and went with SUVs instead even though they could have sold B platform Caprice for a longer time with minimal changes. Ford must have been laughing at GM's stupid decision to throw away totally reliable guaranteed income, yes they were low margin because they're fleet sales but its easy money and GM just let them take more of it.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
camrybooster
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing