Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rock crack my windshield on my 2018 Camry LE hybrid. When I try and schedule an appointment online (Safelite) to have the windshield replaced, it says that my car has an Advanced Driver Assistance System which must be recalibrated after windshield replacement, and because of that they can’t come to me. Instead, I must schedule an appointment and drop my car off at their office, which is in a different city. Or I can opt out of the recalibration (see below). I’m not keen on compromising any safety systems, but I’m not aware of any cameras that look out through the windshield on the LE hybrids. Am I mistaken?

“Opt out of insurance covered recalibration service and refresh schedule to show only glass replacement appointments*
* Vehicle manufacturers require a recalibration of the camera system after a windshield replacement. Safelite will be able to recalibrate your camera system as soon as you are ready to have the service completed.”

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's a camera on the Front Windshield for Lane Departure Alert w/ Steering Assist and Automatic High Beams. This must be the one that requires calibration!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out there is also a rain sensor attached to the windshield on the 2018 LE hybrids.

The windshield can’t be replaced in the field due to the recalibration mentioned previously. I had to take the car into their shop. My 1st appointment they had the wrong windshield (missing rain sensor housing). The 2nd appointment they had the correct windshield, but couldn’t get their recalibration device to work. So now I’m driving with dash alerts saying that radar cruise is unavailable and LDA and Pre-collision systems are malfunctioning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the benefit of those needing the inevitable windshield replacement, if you have a choice in the matter consider picking the more expensive OEM windshield right from the get go. In my case, my insurance company originally specified a non-OEM windshield, which was no bueno as far a recalibration was concerned. After 3 trips, 7 total hours wasted and 3 different windshields, the windshield replacement company was finally able to recalibrate my lane departure system, but only with OEM glass. The previous unsuccessful attempts to recalibrate with non-OEM glass also caused failures in the radar cruise control and pre-collision systems, which were unavailable until recalibration was finally successful over a week later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the benefit of those needing the inevitable windshield replacement, if you have a choice in the matter consider picking the more expensive OEM windshield right from the get go. In my case, my insurance company originally specified a non-OEM windshield, which was no bueno as far a recalibration was concerned. After 3 trips, 7 total hours wasted and 3 different windshields, the windshield replacement company was finally able to recalibrate my lane departure system, but only with OEM glass. The previous unsuccessful attempts to recalibrate with non-OEM glass also caused failures in the radar cruise control and pre-collision systems, which were unavailable until recalibration was finally successful over a week later.

I concur with OEM!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts