Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaking coolant from the hose that is connected to what I presume is the thermostat. Its leaking from right above the ac compressor. And its leaking where the hose meets the fitting. Would it be a safe bet, to say the hose is leaking, or should I think into it more??

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how can you post pictures on the website??

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...I took the hose off, and lost a lot of coolant. The aluminum part that holds the thermostat has some corrosion on it. it was hard to see if the hose was cracked, or if the aluminum part was cracked too. I put on a different clamp which uses a screwdriver to tighten it around the aluminum post, and the hose. Do our radiators have a petcock so I can remove my coolant?? Its the Red stuff, so I am guessing its very expensive and it looks to be in good condition.

What should I do??
Thanks,
Adam

·
just a nobody
Echo
6,610 Posts
There is a drain plug for the radiator, and also one for the block. Depending on the year, it can either be at the right side of the car or close to the middle, it looks like a plastic wing nut.

Without seeing what you are looking at, I would suggest refilling the cooling system and check for leak. The red Toyota coolant cost a little more but not prohibitively expansive.

N.E.O.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will refill the coolant and check for a leak again. What are the chances the thermostat is bad?? I know when I took the hose of I lost a pretty good amount of coolant. It feels like the top hose gets hotter, than the bottom hose. Is this normal?? both hoses feel spungy. Should I just drive around so the thermostat can open, or should I check the radiator level when cold??

Thanks,
Adam

PS: once I put on the new hose clamp, not the one that you use to open with a pliers.
My Camry is a 1992

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The T-stat is inside the aluminum housing. Typically the housing does not corrode to a point of leaking.

Could also be the gasket/O'ring between the housing and engine.

Fill the radiator up with engine cold then squeeze the upper and lower hoses to get the air out. Repeat this process until you get as much coolant into the radiator as you can.

Compare top and bottom hoses. If hoses are spongy then replace them.

The top hose is return coolant after it has gone through the engine. It will be hotter then the bottom hose but after the engine is warmed up not that much hotter. Both hoses should be hot.

When you get as much coolant into the radiator as possible let the engine warm up with the radiator cap off. Once the T-stat opens the coolant will circulate and the lever drop, then add more coolant.

When full install the cap. You may need to add more coolant after you drive a bit. Don't remove the cap if the engine is hot, only check the coolant when engine is cold. Make sure the over flow reservoir is filled with coolant.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i believe I fixed it. I replaced the lower rad. hose, and no more leaks. purchased a gallon of Toyota Red. topped off the system, and all appears normal. thanks for your help

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys, I thought I had solved the problem, but apparently not. Its still leaking coolant. Not as much as before with the new hose on. Its leaking from the aluminum neck where the hose connects. I can't tell if the aluminum neck is split, but I don't know what else could be causing the leak. Could the thermostat be causing it? It opens up, but not that quickly. Could the thermostat be building pressure in the neck, or is it more likely that the aluminum neck has split?

Any Suggestions?? I tried to look for splitting on the neck, but couldn't see anything. I see some corrosion. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Splitting would be unusual.

Is the leak where the neck bolts to the housing? Did you inspect the neck for hose due to corrosion?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the leak is not where the neck bolts to the housing. Its where the hose connects to the neck. I am at a loss here. there is corrosion on the neck, but I couldn't see any splitting.

Thanks,
adam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can I purchase an Aluminum neck that houses the thermostat for the 2.2l, also what is a good thermostat to purchase too??

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok...since no one knows where I can get a new thermostat housing, the one on my car thats leaking, its got corosion on the bottom of it. if I was to use sandpaper and sand the corrosion off, could this solve my problem???? maybe its not cracked, but just corroded and coolant is leaking past the corroded part?? Does this even sound possible??

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Is this what you're talking about? http://tinyurl.com/6znrn6

It's referred to as the Thermostat Housing. Rockauto.com has one for $15.25 + shipping.

They also have thermostats ranging from $4.84 to $8.63. However, I would just go to the dealership and buy one, they aren't terribly expensive.

I would probably agree that if there is corrosion, coolant could potentially escape through the gaps of the uneven corroded surface.

If you do end up buying the thermostat and/or thermostat housing, be sure to get the thermostat seal and the housing gasket as well, if they do not come with them.

·
just a nobody
Echo
6,610 Posts
ok...since no one knows where I can get a new thermostat housing, the one on my car thats leaking, its got corosion on the bottom of it. if I was to use sandpaper and sand the corrosion off, could this solve my problem???? maybe its not cracked, but just corroded and coolant is leaking past the corroded part?? Does this even sound possible??

Thanks,
Adam
Didn't realize you are still having problem with the coolant leak. A dealer would be your best bet if you want to get the housing. Corrosion of the housing indeed can cause it to leak, since it has uneven surface and the hose might not seal it properly. Sanding off the corrosion would definitely help, try to get it as smooth as possible. For short term, you can also try using two hose clamps. There are other ways you can repair the old housing, using epoxy; however, it is time consuming and doesn't always work.

N.E.O.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, unfortunately still leaking, albeit not as bad. I might try the sanding trick first. haux, thanks for the picture. That is in fact whats leaking on my car. I wonder what the dealer would charge for the housing?? and if they would sell the thermostat seal, and gasket?

Thanks for all your help haux, and N.E.O

Adam

1 - 20 of 28 Posts