Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 celica gt, 2.2, after driving for 15-30 minutes a major gas leak occurs in the front, above crossmember. possibly cannister, but the cannister seems dry except for maybe 2 drops of gas that came out of it when i removed it, there seems to be no purge solinoid, but there is a small purge valve that looks like a fuel filter. is it possible to have bad purge valve. the return line and vaccum line seem fine.
can i remove the canister and purge valve and safely drive this vehicle? will the vehicle pass emissions this way, and is there a way to bypass the cannister altogether. the fuel leak is of mass quanity, like 1/4 tank gone in 10 miles.
ANY IDEAS WHAT TO CHECK, ANY INFO WOULD HELP, THANKS:disappoin

·
Registered
234 Posts
are you sure its not coming out from your injectors?? that just happened to me like 2 weeks ago...one of my injectors which i am sure are original just started blowing gas out of the side of the injector...you might want to make sure everything is tight on your fuel rail and all your lines and stuff are not busted. you might want to try replacing your canister...you can get them at junk yards and stuff i put a new one on mine after rebuilding my head. sometimes those fill up with gas when they go bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem

Same problem with my 95 Camry. In my case fuel is coming out off charcoal canister. Once I release gas tank pressure by removing tank cap, it will stop very soon Mechanic said my canister is old and I had it replaced. Still I see the leak. My vaccum is there, so probably they installed me a bad canister or there is something elso went wrong.

How is your leak now?:mad:

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
There shouldn't be any liquid fuel in the canister, only fuel flame. Something is wrong with your fuel lines.
Get under the car and see where it is wet and locate the fuel leak. Better fix it before you catch a fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.