Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi T-100 fans
Apparent bad rear diiferential seals leaking into the brake drum. I have this problem on my 97 T-100 4x4....just on the passenfger side only, but it is obvious that it is differential oil. So I guess I've got to replace at least the seal on this side. Question is...is this common or a fluke....should i just do a rebuild of both sides while I am at it ? Anyone had to do this ? What's the pain factor ? Any info is appreciated.
Thanks very much
JKP

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
First thing to check is the differential pressure relief valve. It's located at the top of the differential. If it's clogged, it will allow pressure to build up in the differential and gear oil will be blown past the seals.

You might as well do the remote differential breather mod while yer there... ;)

If the left side isn't leaking...I wouldn't bother with it. But I would inspect it carefully just to make sure. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BZP
Thanks for the tip...I had never heard of that mod. What's the need ? just easier servicing of the differential ?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
Marlin Crawler's rear axle seal... ;)

Looks like I really didn't answer yer question. :(

The whole purpose of of the remote breather mod is to keep the breather above any water level whether the water depth is intentional or unintentional. With the breather valve in the current stock location...when fording through water...the water will cool the rear axle and if the valve is submerged...water can enter the rear axle as the axle cools and creates a vacuum. Most owners will not check their rear axle after such an event only to find they are trashing their rear axle with an oil/water mixture with less lubricating properties. They will usually find out the hard way when they git noise from the rear end. :(

It also keeps it out of the way of any debris that could clog up the breather valve. You don't have to reuse the valve as some will put in an inline fuel filter like the Fram G2 fuel filter. The key is to keep the end out of harm's way... :D

Some people have used an accordion type bulb in place of the breather valve. Not sure how effective that is...I guess it works fer them.

The cheap method is to remove the current valve from the rear axle, remove the cap and valving setup so it becomes a straight nipple. Reinstall the "improved" valve. Attach the hose to the nipple and clamp in place. Install the fuel filter on the other end and tuck it behind the tail light. :D

Yer choice... ;)

BTW...click that "Thanks" button...if you don't mind. :D

Reactions: Parkstech

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
If the left side isn't leaking...I wouldn't bother with it. But I would inspect it carefully just to make sure. ;)
If one side isn't leaking either just replace it or don't touch it at all.
If you pull the axle shaft out to inspect the seal, you're going to end up damaging it during the removal/reinstall, and you won't find out it's damaged until later, and you'll be tearing it all apart again.

And for the side that is leaking, inspect the axle shaft where the seal rides on it to make sure the shaft doesn't have a groove worn there. If it does you'll keep leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts