Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stop buying garbage
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

The precursor for this story is that I have 4 toyota trucks in the yard, 3 of which are going onto the operating table this winter. 1 nissan to do as well, so time is of the essence.

I'm doing the timing chain job on one now, did it last winter so it is going well. I'm trying to save time and cut corners as I want these trucks running, inspectable and out of the dooryard.

I can't see any problem with leaving the timing chain guides that have broken up and fallen into the oil pan alone. They have been there a while now without causing a problem, the screen on the oil intake is far from the bottom of the pan where the parts sit and I can't imagine how they may jump up out of there.

Anyone else out there stupid enough to consider this as an option? I just thought of it and figured I'd pass it by you guys.

I want to enjoy my winter somewhat and I've got a shitload of work to do to get these rigs out of here and it pains me to see them rust.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
the only problem i would think of is the pieces getting chopped up smaller and clogging the oil pump screen causing your oil preassure to drop. i would go ahead and remove the oil pan as a little preventive maintainance. i had an olds cutlass that the fiber timing chain gear shreded and clogged the oil pump screen. the rod bearing ended up spinning on the #1 journal. when we puilled the pan and looked in the oil pump screen there was all kinds of shit clogging it. its up to you but i wouldnt do it man.

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
guides

also when they get chopped up they can go past the screen and get in the bearings. NOT GOOD!

·
Stop buying garbage
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya

yeah I wanted to save soem time but the more I thought about it I couldn't cheap out so it is coming off.

Where can you get a good cork oil pan gasket? I thought that may be easier than squeezing that rtv/pan under the lifted engine.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
i would get a rubber gasket personaly. you should always use a little seal packing (rtv silicone) on the oil pan side. most parts stores should stock complete gasket sets for the 22re i get most of my stuff from auto zone. i know that advanced discount carries beck arnley parts and they make a rubber gasket. youll be glad you used rubber when your oil pan gasket doesnt leak like a cork one does.

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
i just did the timing chain on mine, i would definatly take off the oil pan, there were so many bits of chewed up plastic in the bottom, also there was a lot of coolant that found its way into the pan when taking the cover off.
when i had mine off i noticed the owner before me had the pan, which was evident by so gouges in the mating surface, and had used what seemed like gasket maker, like the stuff from a tube. it worked as it didn't leak for the entire time i've owned it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts