Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to leave things plugged in to your 12V for long periods of time when the car is off? I neon wired into the 12V plug and I don't want to keep on unplugging it and plugging it in all the time.

I know this might sound kind of dumb, but I'm just playing it safe cause I think I read somewhere that it's not good to leave stuff plugged in when the car is off.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
It won't get power when the car is off, so yes, it is ok. Do NOT leave it plugged it for extended periods of time with the ignition on Acc.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
It's not good. More battery drain when you crank the car if the neons are turned on. Otherwise no biggie.

Also the cig lighter shares the A/C & radio fuse, so I wouldn't push too much throuhg it. It's not that you'll bust the fuse, you'll melt the wires.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Siver_Cartel said:
It won't get power when the car is off, so yes, it is ok. Do NOT leave it plugged it for extended periods of time with the ignition on Acc.
Why not, isn't it safe to play radio/have stuff on for a while if its on Acc? Also, how long do you mean by extended periods of time?

Toysrme said:
It's not good. More battery drain when you crank the car if the neons are turned on. Otherwise no biggie.

Also the cig lighter shares the A/C & radio fuse, so I wouldn't push too much throuhg it. It's not that you'll bust the fuse, you'll melt the wires.
What do you mean by crank the car? Start it? So it just means my battery will wear quickly?

I've got 3 neons running through a 4 to 1 adapter and plugged into the 12V. Is this too much?

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
OK, on our cars when the ignition is in 'crank' or 'off' mode there is no power going to the 12v anyways so it will make no dif. The only problem is that when you are drawing too much power through that source you will get the wire to heat up, and blow the fuse. So to answer your question, you should be fine unless you are drawing too much current for the wires to handle.

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
You'll be fine. Interior neons don't draw much power at all... I know people who have accidentally left them on all night and their car started that morning.

·
Registered
1988 AE80 Corolla
44 Posts
Ukrainian102 said:
Why not, isn't it safe to play radio/have stuff on for a while if its on Acc? Also, how long do you mean by extended periods of time?
Its not that its not safe to leave accessories turned on for long periods of time with your ignition on Acc...its just that you may flatten your battery, as powers being used and its not being charged at the time. Hence whenever my car stereos on, the engines running (3 amplifiers does that tho :S lol ) or my batteries flat in about 3 songs at 3/4 volume LOL

Cheers
DRaKeN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts