Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Camry, 4-cylinder LE model. The car runs well, no hesitation; if I just get in and start the car, it starts fast. Like most cars, you can turn the ignition key to the acc position or the ON position without starting the car. If I leave turn the car keys to the ON position, and leave it in that position for a few minutes, then the car is hard to start when I fully turn the key to start the car; the ignition will cut out if I don’t give it gas for 10 seconds. The engine light is not on, and there is no engine light code because of a bad bulb; I’ve had the engine code read at Autozone. I've replaced the ignition wires and tested the ignition coil with an ohmmeter; all is well. If I turn the key to ACC, one click before On setting, just to power things while the car is not started, then there is no problem starting the car when I want to. Please let me know if anybody out there has had this problem, and what you did to fix it

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,476 Posts
Hmmm... did this just start happening as the weather got colder? I'd recommend you go in and get your battery checked. It may be on its way out.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,299 Posts
Maybe your Fuel Pressure Regulator isnt holding pressure making it have to crank harder to build up pressure. Its more of a common problem with adjustable fuel pressure regulators, but I have seen it happen with OEM too. May be something to look into.

Most of the time, it happens with Adjustable ones because the pump primes the system when you turn the key to the on position, but the check valve inside the FPR leaks and doesnt hold pressure so it primes, and if you dont immediately start the vehicle up, the fuel by-passes to the return line and your fuel rail looses pressure, causing the car to crank and crank and crank to build up pressure before it starts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe your Fuel Pressure Regulator isnt holding pressure making it have to crank harder to build up pressure. Its more of a common problem with adjustable fuel pressure regulators, but I have seen it happen with OEM too. May be something to look into.

Most of the time, it happens with Adjustable ones because the pump primes the system when you turn the key to the on position, but the check valve inside the FPR leaks and doesnt hold pressure so it primes, and if you dont immediately start the vehicle up, the fuel by-passes to the return line and your fuel rail looses pressure, causing the car to crank and crank and crank to build up pressure before it starts
Thanks, this is something I will definitively:thumbsup: look into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.