Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of purchasing a 15 Hybrid Touring model.

I believe it has the dual beam or dual projector halogen lights.
I didn't get a good chance to look because it was so bright out.

HID kit:
I'm sure many of you have swapped your halogens for HID kits.
1. Can anyone give me some advice on a top quality brand to go with?
In the past I have put in a 65w HID kit from retrofitsource in our 4 runner. It worked fine. But within 3 years one of the bulbs started to fade.
And in cold weather ( 10 degrees or colder ) you have to turn the lights on and off several times before they light. I assume it's because of the temperature outside but this is a real PIA because in WI here its 10 degrees or colder for 4 mos. of the year.
2. Does an HID kit out perform the halogens much?

LED bulbs in fogs
I'd like to swaop the bulbs in the factory foglights for some better and brighter bulbs.
Other then HID are LED bulbs the way to go? I'm not to familiar with LED bulbs.
1. Can anyone rec. a top quality brand.
2. It looks like a real PIA to replace the bulbs in the figlight housing? It looks like you hve to either acces the bulbs from the innrer fender well or from underneath the car?

**** I'm not going for super white or color.
***** I want the best performing color. My understanding is the closest to 4300k will give me the best performance.

Thank you
1st post

·
Registered
Toyota Avalon
75 Posts
In the process of purchasing a 15 Hybrid Touring model.

I believe it has the dual beam or dual projector halogen lights.
I didn't get a good chance to look because it was so bright out.

HID kit:
In the past I have put in a 65w HID kit from retrofitsource in our 4 runner. It worked fine. But within 3 years one of the bulbs started to fade.
And in cold weather ( 10 degrees or colder ) you have to turn the lights on and off several times before they light. I assume it's because of the temperature outside but this is a real PIA because in WI here its 10 degrees or colder for 4 mos. of the year.
2. Does an HID kit out perform the halogens much?

LED bulbs in fogs
I'd like to swaop the bulbs in the factory foglights for some better and brighter bulbs.
Other then HID are LED bulbs the way to go? I'm not to familiar with LED bulbs.
1. Can anyone rec. a top quality brand.
2. It looks like a real PIA to replace the bulbs in the figlight housing? It looks like you hve to either acces the bulbs from the innrer fender well or from underneath the car?

**** I'm not going for super white or color.
***** I want the best performing color. My understanding is the closest to 4300k will give me the best performance.

Thank you
1st post

As you can find posted elsewhere on this forum, I tried various LED and HID low beam retrofit kits on my 2018 Avalon with composite halogen headlights. The only successful kit I found was the following:

9005: MORIMOTO ELITE
HID BALLASTS: 2 X 35w / AMP: Morimoto XB Ballast
9005 HID BULBS: 2 X 9005 / H10 / 9145: XB 6500K
WIRE HARNESS: 1 X HD Relay: 9005/9006/9012/H10

I considered the 50w ballast but was cautioned that the extra heat generated by the bulbs running at 50w could damage the headlamp housings, so I settled for the 35w.

I tried the 5500K and 6500K bulbs and even though the 5500K were a bit brighter, I found that the 6500K provides a more even light distribution and also reflects off road signs and cats eyes better. I had one bulb go bad after a few weeks, and used the 5500K as a spare until the warranty replacement arrived. They are a HUGE improvement over the stock candles Toyota installed.

This is an excellent quality kit that is easy to install. The wiring harness does not require additional capacitor links or resistors to eliminate flickering which other kits did (and still flickered.). If you order these, make sure the ballasts come with the mounting brackets, otherwise they are more difficult to install.

My 2018 doesn't have fog lamps unfortunately. I really wish Toyota hadn't eliminated them on the 2016 refresh.

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,085 Posts
HID kit:

LED bulbs in fogs
Welcome to the Gen4 Avalon forum Hybridgrl!

To answer your first question, yes, the stock HID headlight (Limited model only) is much better than the Halogen bulbs and yes, there are HID kits available BUT a caution. The two bulb types use a very different reflector so an aftermarket HID setup might not give you the improvement you're looking for. Try the forum search looking for "HID kit". You'll find several threads on the subject.

2. Replacing the stock Halogen bulb in the fog light with an LED is actually very easy. You'll find details here. Downside, right now your fog and headlight bulbs have the same color temperature. If you change the fogs to LED they'll be whiter than your yellowish headlights/daytime running lights.

Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used the "Lasfit" brand & they worked very well.

I did contact retrofitsource .com.
They replied with " The HID kits have come along way. But the LED's are still getting better but are more reliable then the HID kits in the cold temps. "

that's the biggest thing. We had about 20 days last winter with temps between -10 --> -30. So I need a lighting setup that will work and not leave me stranded.

Our retrofitsource HID kit on our T4R was great. But in the cold temps was intermitent unless the temps were about 10 degrees.

I'm leaning towards a retrofitsource LED kit o try.

Are the '15 Avalon Hybrid touring bulb sizes the same in the foglight housing as the low beams? If so I can purchase the LED kit and always more it into the foglight housing if we decide to go with an LED kit.

I don't care about color. Blue, white purple etc...
I just need whichever is going to improve the visibility the best.

Anythoughts?

I see retrofitsource has 2 LED kits for the Avalon. They appear to be the same bulb?
I don't see any K or color differance.
What gives? Are they the same bulb?

·
Registered
Toyota Avalon
75 Posts
I did contact retrofitsource .com.
They replied with " The HID kits have come along way. But the LED's are still getting better but are more reliable then the HID kits in the cold temps. "

that's the biggest thing. We had about 20 days last winter with temps between -10 --> -30. So I need a lighting setup that will work and not leave me stranded.

Our retrofitsource HID kit on our T4R was great. But in the cold temps was intermitent unless the temps were about 10 degrees.

I'm leaning towards a retrofitsource LED kit o try.

Are the '15 Avalon Hybrid touring bulb sizes the same in the foglight housing as the low beams? If so I can purchase the LED kit and always more it into the foglight housing if we decide to go with an LED kit.

I don't care about color. Blue, white purple etc...
I just need whichever is going to improve the visibility the best.

Anythoughts?

I see retrofitsource has 2 LED kits for the Avalon. They appear to be the same bulb?
I don't see any K or color differance.
What gives? Are they the same bulb?
You may want to check this site out before you purchase a LED kit:
https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

I didn't find a LED kit that worked well in my Avalon. I think part of the problem is that in the Avalon the low beam bulbs are angled 45 degrees either to the left (driver's side) or right (passenger side) in the headlight housings, so the LED bulb needs to be 360 degree adjustable in order to get the correct beam pattern. The adjustment is a trial by error exercise, and the location of the bulbs, particularly on the driver's side, make it difficult to adjust while the bulbs are installed. I also found the fans to be noisy and some flickered. An ideal LED would be one that is adjustable, fanless and obviously doesn't flicker. One bulb I tried had all the right specs but when installed the result was even dimmer than the OEM halogens!

I'd suggest going with a brand that someone has already successfully used in our Avalons. Someone on this forum had good results using the LASFIT brand.

I'm pretty happy with the Morimoto HID kit I have installed, but on 2 occasions over 5 months I've had a "misfire" when one or the other bulb doesn't ignite. According to the documentation, the ballasts do not retry when the bulbs fail to ignite, even after they are turned off and on again, which is not ideal. As a result, I have a pair of halogens in the glove box, just in case...

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the Morimoto HID kit I have installed, but on 2 occasions over 5 months I've had a "misfire" when one or the other bulb doesn't ignite. According to the documentation, the ballasts do not retry when the bulbs fail to ignite, even after they are turned off and on again, which is not ideal. As a result, I have a pair of halogens in the glove box, just in case...
Since your bulbs ignite, they both good. Swap left to right your bulbs or igniters and then ballasts and see if the issue would move to the other side, it could be a defective igniter or ballast. Also check tightness of all connections and relay contacts, they could be a bit lose. If misfire occurred when it was cold, most likely you got a defective harness relay.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,393 Posts
You may want to check this site out before you purchase a LED kit:
https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

I didn't find a LED kit that worked well in my Avalon. I think part of the problem is that in the Avalon the low beam bulbs are angled 45 degrees either to the left (driver's side) or right (passenger side) in the headlight housings, so the LED bulb needs to be 360 degree adjustable in order to get the correct beam pattern. The adjustment is a trial by error exercise, and the location of the bulbs, particularly on the driver's side, make it difficult to adjust while the bulbs are installed. I also found the fans to be noisy and some flickered. An ideal LED would be one that is adjustable, fanless and obviously doesn't flicker. One bulb I tried had all the right specs but when installed the result was even dimmer than the OEM halogens!

I'd suggest going with a brand that someone has already successfully used in our Avalons. Someone on this forum had good results using the LASFIT brand.

Since your bulbs ignite, they both good. Swap left to right your bulbs or igniters and then ballasts and see if the issue would move to the other side, it could be a defective igniter or ballast. Also check tightness of all connections and relay contacts, they could be a bit lose. If misfire occurred when it was cold, most likely you got a defective harness relay.
I have a 2015-era Morimoto HID Low Beam set for my 08 Camry. One thing to keep in mind that if you are using the AUTO/DRL function, there is potential for when it is dark that only one side will turn on. The solution to this is to not use AUTO/DRL assuming you are able to not use it. You are either OFF or ON. I use my Morimoto Fog Lights as my DRLs instead with the yellow film.

I was able to determine my issue because TRS warrantied me an entire kit and I still got the issue. Once I noticed it only happen on AUTO I just stopped using it.

OFF
AUTO/DRL
PARKING LIGHTS
LOW BEAM

·
Registered
Toyota Avalon
75 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.

Each side has failed to ignite, but this happened only once on each side in 5 months, and it wasn't particularly cold.
I've checked and rechecked the connectors, wires etc but all seems secure.

molson.david, from the pic on your post, your beam pattern and coverage looks better than mine.
Yes I know, I promised you a pic months ago...

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
I have a 2015-era Morimoto HID Low Beam set for my 08 Camry. One thing to keep in mind that if you are using the AUTO/DRL function, there is potential for when it is dark that only one side will turn on. The solution to this is to not use AUTO/DRL assuming you are able to not use it. You are either OFF or ON. I use my Morimoto Fog Lights as my DRLs instead with the yellow film.

I was able to determine my issue because TRS warrantied me an entire kit and I still got the issue. Once I noticed it only happen on AUTO I just stopped using it.

OFF
AUTO/DRL
PARKING LIGHTS
LOW BEAM
My set works fine in any mode, but I have a HID harness. It helps with "auto" issue and protects the oem circuit from overloading. I had a real HID retro with harness on my 2007 and 2012 Camry and never had "auto" issue. I also like harness cuz it allows to cleaner hidden installation, longer wires, easier to hide ballasts. TRS sells harnesses for $20-30, buy one if you running ballasts without it.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
My set works fine in any mode, but I have a HID harness. It helps with "auto" issue and protects the oem circuit from overloading. I also like harness cuz it allows to cleaner hidden installation, longer wires, easier to hide ballasts.
Mine has the harness too connected to the Left Low Beam. My assumption is that sometimes the Right Ballast does not get enough power to turn it on when it is on AUTO compared to ON.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.

Each side has failed to ignite, but this happened only once on each side in 5 months, and it wasn't particularly cold.
I've checked and rechecked the connectors, wires etc but all seems secure.

molson.david, from the pic on your post, your beam pattern and coverage looks better than mine.
Yes I know, I promised you a pic months ago...
Hmm, interesting... Usually it's only one side. Are running ballasts through a harness or they hooked up directly to the oem low beam connectors?
The pic in my sig is my 2012 Camry D2s RX350 projectors + clear lenses + modified shields retro, my current 9005 HID bulbs set up is a "cheap shadow" of that light field. :)

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
Mine has the harness too connected to the Left Low Beam. My assumption is that sometimes the Right Ballast does not get enough power to turn it on when it is on AUTO compared to ON.
Is it connected to the + battery or "hot nut"? Any not 100% tight connections? I slightly bent and lightly sanded all prons before installation. Some connections are not 100% insulated and might oxidize over time.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Is it connected to the + battery or "hot nut"? Any not 100% tight connections? I slightly bent and lightly sanded all prons before installation. Some connections are not 100% insulated and might oxidize over time.
It's been a long time since I looked at it in-depth but mine is connected directly to the battery clamp a long with a fog light harness. It's not a big deal to me anymore and I consider the OFF/ON a solution.

·
Registered
Toyota Avalon
75 Posts
Yep, I have the harness too with dual relays, and I do rely on AUTO mode.
This hasn't happened frequently enough to be of concern but I still don't trust them 100% as a result.
I may try another LED kit in a couple of years as LED technology improves, but I've tried so many LED and HID kits and I'm thoroughly sick of tinkering with the lights! I can't focus close up (and I can't see far), so I do a lot by "feel". Getting old is highly overrated. Maybe it's my eyes that need a retrofit and not the lights! :nerd:

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Yep, I have the harness too with dual relays, and I do rely on AUTO mode.
This hasn't happened frequently enough to be of concern but I still don't trust them 100% as a result.
I may try another LED kit in a couple of years as LED technology improves, but I've tried so many LED and HID kits and I'm thoroughly sick of tinkering with the lights! I can't focus close up (and I can't see far), so I do a lot by "feel". Getting old is highly overrated. Maybe it's my eyes that need a retrofit and not the lights! :nerd:
Yeah mine was intermediate but I'd say once a week. Once I did OFF/ON, it has never happen since. I can only recommend that to see what happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased an H11 LED set from retrofitsource.
Morimoto?

Will try these in the fog light housing.

I want to purchase a Morimoto HID kit for the low beams. But we are just hesitant because our last set of Morimoto HID kit was so inconsistent.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I purchased an H11 LED set from retrofitsource.
Morimoto?

Will try these in the fog light housing.

I want to purchase a Morimoto HID kit for the low beams. But we are just hesitant because our last set of Morimoto HID kit was so inconsistent.
TRS's brand is Morimoto (unless I am wrong). I say just try the ON/OFF method instead of AUTO if you are able to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts