Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pictures are further below
I just finished an LED install for my friend's 7th gen corolla. I replaced all of the lights in the dash with white LEDs, except for the cigarette lighter. I, unfortunately, did not have time to retro fit an led on that odd bulb. So, I bought a new one from toyota for $12.50.

LEDs were added to:
gauge cluster
factory toyota tape deck
hvac controls
hazard switch
defrost switch
a/c switch
automatic shift indicator
ashtray light
I also changed the LED in the power window switch on the drivers side for a brighter white led.

I will post pictures up tomorrow I am too tired right now.

I now a have a new respect for toyota build quality. I have never owned one myself, but I would consider it now.

·
Registered
1996 Corolla DX
91 Posts
How do you get to the bulbs behind the gauge cluster? I would like to change all of mine to LEDs too. And what bulb number is are they? Any help is appreciated.

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
Interesting, I look forward to seeing some pictures. Personally, I'm looking at doing a complete LED conversion (minus headlights, I suppose), but the turn signals are what prevents me from doing it... though my limited conversion (corner lamps and dome light) have been a success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For LEDs I used the following leds to convert the dash.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/NEO.htm
8 x white neo-3s - radio faceplate
1x white neo-3 - a/c button
1 x white neo-4 - defrost switch
1 x red neo-4 - hazard switch

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74.html
1 x white 74-CWHP3 - HVAC controls
1 x white 74-CWHP3 - ashtray light

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/bulb_specs.htm
4 x white WLED-W - guage cluster
1 x white WLED-W - automatic shifter light

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm
1 x white RL3-W3030 - driver's side power window switch

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
i want too make that mod too, guide us and post some pics, thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres pictures of the finished install. I will post pictures of the install tomorrow. I dont have alot of pictures, just pictures for parts that I have not seen in other threads. The dash and the shift indicator lights are kind of blueish because the backside of those panels have a blue tint, to make normal incandescent light look whiter. The dash is really bright but my camera does not pick it up very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is a more in depth LED install I did on my last car.

mounting plate made out of ABS plastic

mounted into housing

installed and wired up.

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
does the installation involves resistors or something more "deep" than remove and replace???

hazard lights switch and defrost have lights???

nice looking mod

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
the dimmer works fine. The LEDs I bought have resistors built into the base. And they have a chip in them that allows them to work with current flow in either direction.
The dimmer works fine. I have never had an led that didnt work with the dimmer.

The neo bulbs do not have the chips in them though, but they do have built in resistors.

Much easier than the old way with soldering a resistor and an led and aiming it.

·
1994 Toyota Corolla DX
4 Posts
hazard lights switch and defrost have lights???
I've been wondering this too. My rear defrost button is lit, but the hazard button isn't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changing out the LED in the driver's side power window switch.
supplies:
soldering iron - i just used a cheap 30watt ratshack unit
needlenose pliers
60/40 rosin core solder
desoldering braid
mini-screwdriver
and a philips #2 screwdriver

Taking the window switch unit apart:
there are only 6 screws 3 #2 phillips to get the finishing plate off, and 3 mini phillips remove the circuit board from the casing.

remove the 3 screws to remove the finishing piece

flip over

remove 3 screws to separate the circuit board from the plastic casing and black switches

separate the white plastic backing plate from the circuit board. This can be tricky, but the plastic is held in place by metal contacts that poke through the bottom of the circuit board to form the bottom half of the harness. There are no clips are screws. The 2 halfs just slide apart with a small amount of force.

all of the pieces laid out. Re-assembly is the reverse

This is a closeup of the LED that is going to be desoldered off the board

Another shot of the LED

This is the resistor for the factory LED. It is a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. In combination with the LED that I used, the new LED will see about 22ma of current.

superbrightleds.com 3mm white LED

The arrow is pointing at the solder joints for the factory LED. The left joint is positive, the right joint is negative.

I used the soldering braid and my soldering iron to remove the old solder from the joints to free up the old led from the board. I laid the braid directly over the solder blob, and placed the soldering iron tip right on to the braid. The heat will transfer through the braid and melt the old solder which will be wicked into the braid.

the new LED installed in the board and soldered in place.
Make sure the LED is positioned correctly. If you install it backwards it will have to be desoldered and flipped around.

LED all finished. I clipped and bent the legs of the LED after they were soldered

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HVAC, defrost and AC switches. AC switch uses a neo3 bulb and the other 2 use neo4's

toyota's proprietary bulb for the cigarette lighter. I did not have time to solder an LED and a resistor into this piece.

brand new factory cigarette lighter bulb. It cost me $12.50

disassembling the cigarette lighter and bulb, I replaced this with a factory toyota bulb

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just did this myself! but not the speedo cluster simply because I have the tack cluster comming.. Did you use the 90 degree or 120 for the cluster?

Thanks for the post up should be stickied!

·
Registered
398 Posts
i believe they are 100 degrees 194 replacements

hmmm on SBL.com it only offers 90 and 120 so you probably used the 120's then.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts