Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
07 Camry SE & 03 Acura TL
'07 Camry SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next project: change the crappy yellow OEM daylights.

I was thinking probably LED since I do not night any light output from them. What do you guys think? Anybody done this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,472 Posts
I'm pretty sure the drl's/high beams are 9005's. h11's are the low beams and the fog lights. At least they are in my 07 camry se.

Light output will be crap, and high beams are pretty much going to suck. I can't say too much because I don't have them, just my experience with a friend who did it. Maybe someone who did this can chime in.

·
^__^
08 LE:]
665 Posts
DRLs & highs are exactly the same bulb(only one of the DRLs though not the turn signal DRL)
there's more a light output when you flick the highbeams
if you have HIDs, you should get the switchback turn signals/DRLs(switch from amber to white)
gen6s have 3 bulbs
from left to right on driver's side
left: highbeam/DRL type-9005 bulb
middle: lowbeams type-H11
right: DRLs/turn signal type- 3157/3457

read this thread bro...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299364

·
'07 Camry SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so ifrom what I read it looks like I have 3 options:

1. put HIDs in high beam/DRLs and blind people all day long
2. Put LED in there and loose the high beam function since LEDs have crappy light output
3. Leave it be as it is, OEM and live with the yellow light

I'm inclined to pick option 2. Since I already have HIDs in the fogs I could probably use those as "high beams" if I ever need more light output. Also living in a big city I never find myself needing the high beams unless I flash someone and I guess I could do that on LEDs also.

what do you all think?

·
Registered
06 camry se
417 Posts
i wouldnt use HID in the high beam unless you disable the DRL; the reason why is DRL uses reduced power so they will not work properly

·
^__^
08 LE:]
665 Posts
dude, get HID lows & cover the squierell spotters!
blinding other drivers=no more
you're so worried about blinding people, you shouldn't have HIDs in fogs in that case.
those are even more blinding because they are in a reflector housing.
the lowbeams are in a projector.

here's an epic setup:

highbeams: get nokya arctic whites
lowbeams: stick an HID kit in there & cover the spotters(no more blinding)
turn signal: throw in some switchbacks
fogs: remove HID because unless you did it right, you're prolly blinding every driver when they're on. throw a nokya arctic white in them

& for fun, paint your housing black;D

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,838 Posts
Clearly you have never used your highbeams...
How can u tell where your light came from when sitting inside the car? :lol: When I first start driving I did play with high beam but had no idea where it was from due to the fact that I sit inside the car and not in front see where the light came from.

To me DRL is kinda useless if it doesn't rain, but than U suppose to turn on the headlight anyway when it rain.

If U really want to do LED DRL than U have to use the harness cable to supply power for your LED. The harness cable will bypass low/high power into normal power for the LED. This also mean no more flashing high beam at ppl. If U don't use the harness, one accidental high beam will likely blow out your LED (and I hope I can see that on video.. smoke coming out). :lol:

IMHO, turning DRL/HIGH BEAM into LED will cripple the light. Giving up useful functions for a less useful and less practical functions. :D

·
'07 Camry SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How can u tell where your light came from when sitting inside the car? :lol: When I first start driving I did play with high beam but had no idea where it was from due to the fact that I sit inside the car and not in front see where the light came from.

To me DRL is kinda useless if it doesn't rain, but than U suppose to turn on the headlight anyway when it rain.

If U really want to do LED DRL than U have to use the harness cable to supply power for your LED. The harness cable will bypass low/high power into normal power for the LED. This also mean no more flashing high beam at ppl. If U don't use the harness, one accidental high beam will likely blow out your LED (and I hope I can see that on video.. smoke coming out). :lol:

IMHO, turning DRL/HIGH BEAM into LED will cripple the light. Giving up useful functions for a less useful and less practical functions. :D
so you can't switch high beam on with a LED bulb unless you use the harness? good to know :D

·
'07 Camry SE
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You wont have high beam..harness or no harness. Harness is for voltage purposes.
I understand that but mistakenly switching on the high beam with no harness will burn the LED right? (I already ordered the LEDs already and did not order the harness)

·
Registered
154 Posts
a relay harness is used in an HID kit to prevent the stock wiring from melting. HIDs(aftermarket ballasts in particular) require a lot of startup voltage before they stabilize at the 35watt or 55watt level - during that startup period, it could fry your stock wiring, which requires a LOT of money to fix... so a harness does nothing more than re-route how it gets its power

HIDs won't work w/ high beams unless you intend on leaving them on for longer periods of time (no flashing). Ballasts don't play nice with quick on and off flashing b/c they need a warmup time. So if you flash pass someone w/ HIDs in the highs.. it's likely that no light will come out. DRLs wont' work with HID kits w/o modification either as they require a 12V starting voltage in most cases. Our camry has something like a 6-7 volt for DRL, which WILL NOT activate the ballast.

what I believe dcme means is that most LEDs are either on or off. Some may have dual voltage functionality.. but only the brightest setting can be remotely useful as a DRL. But he might also mean that LEDs will fail as high beams in terms of light output... same deal either way.. that LED can work as DRL but fails miserably as a high beam

·
8,838 Posts
^ my questions is really about the 6V. I didn't know there is ANY 6V in the car. :D I never measure the voltage of DRL vs High Beam so I'm just asking.

·
8,838 Posts
the standard voltages are 1.5V (1.2V for rechargeable batteries), 3V, 6V, 9V, 12V, 18V.

So, equipments that said to work with 12V should be able to handle up to like 15V because the alternator puts out about 14.x Volt. And 6V equipments is suppose to handle 7V.

So what is the real measured voltage for DRL?

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts
LEDs are not meant for high beams or even in DRLs. PERIOD. If your wires are fried or you cause damage to your car, dont come looking for sympathy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts