Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We just bought our 2019 Highlander LE Plus recently and it doesn't come with the LED Daytime running lights. We cannot afford to go for higher trims but we really like the LED DRLs in SE and Limited. I am checking on genuine Toyota parts store then I came across with headlight assembly that is ha LED drls and black accent which is for SE I think. If I buy this one to replace my stock HD will it work? is it plug and play. has anyone tried this before? I don't like the aftermarket ones.

Thanks,

JR

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m guessing not plug and play since on our 17 Platinum Limited there is a manual ‘Off’ switch on the steering wheel lighting stalk for the DRLs, so the wiring is likely different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you @TheTexasKellys. Im checking with the OEM parts dealer now. They asked me to send my vin number. Ive checked their website prior that the HD assembly with LED DRL with black accents is compatible with all 2019 trims (LE-Limited even hybrids). Hopefully they get back to me. Im following a similar thread before but I guess it lost traction. Really appreciate your reply. :) Ill also update here coz most probably I'm not the only one who wants to know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

We just bought our 2019 Highlander LE Plus recently and it doesn't come with the LED Daytime running lights. We cannot afford to go for higher trims but we really like the LED DRLs in SE and Limited. I am checking on genuine Toyota parts store then I came across with headlight assembly that is ha LED drls and black accent which is for SE I think. If I buy this one to replace my stock HD will it work? is it plug and play. has anyone tried this before? I don't like the aftermarket ones.

Thanks,

JR
I'd buy them and just wire them into a "run" fuse. Full-time DRL is fine.

All electronics are handled by a Body Control Module (BCM). So the headlight switch connects via a CAN Bus to the BCM, BCM then controls the lights.

Sadly I don't have the factory manuals. Even for my 2018 Ford I could buy a CD ROM for $150 that gave me a ton of great information but looks like Toyota is "subscription only" service. Sigh.

Wiring manual would tell us what needs to be done. It is possible the harness and BCM is identical. Only the headlight and switch are different, which would make a retrofit quite simple.

Ford's Headlight switch for "automatic headlights" is different, but those models have a light sensor. No light sensor (base model) and headlights are automatically turned on when the engine is running.

Pricing: $461 list on each side. Ouch!

Noticed this on eBay for $149

On those broken clips, you can epoxy them in place. They will work fine, but for $149 it's a cheaper experiment than an OEM one.

Just looked at Toyota Parts, the BCM is the same for all trims. Toyota Speak called is "Computer Assembly, Trans" Transponder (ie remote fob) function handled by this module. The software may enable DRL and various switches but makes tracking firmware a nightmare so most likely just a dash switch and headlight assemblies. Most dealers won't have a clue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks FJ60guy. Really appreciate it. Wow we really want the OEM look but with that hassle I'm afraid that if ill go with it might mess up my new car wirings. Yeah you are correct most of the dealership doesn't have idea how it can be done. This brings me to the option of seeking for Aftermarket ones. Any one knows a good reliable ones? Ive seen some at EBAY but they are from China and mostly with HID. I wanted to have that DRL but I want it also to confirm with the standards here in the US , safe to use and won't distract other drivers because its too bright. TIA

·
2019 Le Plus
100 Posts
Someone did that same upgrade about a year ago and I believe it required a slight wiring modification (do a search, he documented the upgrade), he bought used SE headlights off ebay for about $200, so I'm guessing new headlights will probably run $700+

I also have a 2019 LE Plus and have upgraded the low beams and fog lights to Led's from Xeon Depot (Extreme Led Pro H11) due to many recommendations about the company from this forum. They make a quality product and they're not so bright as to not blind on coming traffic. I'm very pleased with the plug and play upgrade.

If I also wanted to upgrade the high beams along with the daytime running lights to Led, I would buy the Xeon Depot 9005 Extreme Pro Led along with the optional DRL Led driver for under $180. https://www.xenondepot.com/9005-Xtreme-LED-kit-pro-p/xt-led-9005-pro.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not that familiar with what's available aftermarket for HLs. I would like to get LED low beams (don't care about DRL--don't use it) but only if they're in housings designed for LEDs. See for example the problems with LED in halogen housings... https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3rd-gen-hid-vs-led-vs-halogen-h11-projector-headlights.589465/
This is for Tacos, but same would apply. So is Toyota now putting LEDs in 2019 HLs as an option? Could I then order these LED-designed housings and put them plug-and-play in a 2018 XLE?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We just bought our 2019 Highlander LE Plus recently and it doesn't come with the LED Daytime running lights.
I've got an LE. It has manual DRL's. To activate them, turn the light switch on the steering column to "auto". Note that in daytime the DRL's are on but when night time (or low light) comes, it automatically switches from DRL mode to full headlights.

I am surprised that the DRL's are manual and not automatic (like all the base model Honda's I've owned)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just purchase and install the 9005 Xenon Xtreme Pro Led with DRL driver. DRL is only about 15% of full intensity. Easy upgrade

·
2019 Le Plus
100 Posts
Just purchase and install the 9005 Xenon Xtreme Pro Led with DRL driver. DRL is only about 15% of full intensity. Easy upgrade
ToyCan, are the Led DRL's at 15% significantly brighter then the stock Halogen DRL, which are pretty pathetic?

I have the Xenon Xtreme Led low beams and was also thinking about upgrading the high beams, if there's enough room in the headlight housing for both.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ToyCan, are the Led DRL's at 15% significantly brighter then the stock Halogen DRL, which are pretty pathetic?

I have the Xenon Xtreme Led low beams and was also thinking about upgrading the high beams, if there's enough room in the headlight housing for both.
Yes. Big difference from stock mainly due to the white color. Here is a video which demos the difference. Note that there is no flicker in real life. It looks like there could be some but it is an artifact as a result of filming. Would never go back. Believe me, you won't be disappointed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts