Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like brighter interior lights, but not bright white light. Who wants their car to look like a police station? LOL

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

·
Captain Camry
268 Posts
I've tried just about every type out there and I've settled on two that I like. What you're looking for is the 'sweet spot' of brightness, without the ridiculous color. These are what I use in my car in the map and door positions. They are 10 SMD LED bulbs. They are a nice natural white, I get zero blue at all. Definitely much cooler white than incandescent, but none of the blue at all. They use the 5630 SMD chips, very important to make sure the part you are buying has those chips. They are a touch longer and won't fit in all applications. I'm especially fond of them in my map lights, when I need to look for something at night, they light up the whole cabin like it's daytime. There are two examples of what they commonly look like, below:

My other favorite is this more common 5 chip LED. Most sellers have a few color options, so I go with the 'natural' or 5000k range. Again, I also hate the blue. I use these in my license plate lights and trunk light, because those both need a shorter bulb. I do find that they burn out quickly. However, they are super cheap, you get 50 for $20 from China. I find I have to bend the wire contacts out to ensure a solid connection and I use dielectric grease with this model. A good example is pictured below:

Dome lights are difficult. Our bulbs are 29mm, not 31 as people commonly make that mistake. I've only found one seller that makes a reasonable bulb and they don't make it anymore. So at this time, I don't have a reasonable recommendation other than stick with lower color ratings, like 5000k.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts