Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my 99 mod 2.2 (Norwegian versjon, probably most similar to the XLE i think). Everything it working perfect exept of one thing; the left headlight motor doesn't respond.

I'm unsure of where it is, and if this is a common problem.

I know the motor worked fine in the summer. But after i got the car back from the mechanics, the left headlight didn't want to adjust anymore.

I'm unsure if he have done anything in that area at all, or if it's simply the cold weather that might cause it. As it's -15c now, instead of +20c wich it was when i used it last.
I Do know one lightbulb have been changed though, as it have a slightly different colour then the other one.
The car have been washed a coupple of times after i got it back, and it's possible it could have come water on it wich have frozen, as it's been -10 to -15c here when it's been washed.

when i try to adjust the headlights, the right light moves as normal, but left is stuck.
I need to get this fixed ASAP to pass periodical inspection wich is tomorrow... >_<

Does anyone have any guide to find, check and posseboly change this motor?

tried to look through the FAQ thread, but didn't find anything about the headlight motors.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Headlight motor??? This must be something US Camrys don't have. Do your Camry's headlights flip up or something? ...Or are you talking about the threaded aiming adjusters?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm guessing it might be something the US model don't have, yes.

On my camry i have this to adjust the hight of the headlights from 0 to 5 depending on load in the car and so, so i won't blind oncomming traffic when pulling a trailer, have something heavy in the trunk or so:

this pic isn't from my car though, but same car and model as mine.

edit: it's the aiming adjustment, yes. I'm just asuming it's a motor doing it, haven't checked it up.. o.o
We have it electronically adjusted on the gen 4 Camry's in Norway.

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,638 Posts
I'm guessing it might be something the US model don't have, yes.

On my camry i have this to adjust the hight of the headlights from 0 to 5 depending on load in the car and so, so i won't blind oncomming traffic when pulling a trailer, have something heavy in the trunk or so:

this pic isn't from my car though, but same car and model as mine.

edit: it's the aiming adjustment, yes. I'm just asuming it's a motor doing it, haven't checked it up.. o.o
We have it electronically adjusted on the gen 4 Camry's in Norway.
That's pretty neat. Mine doesn't have it, and I've never seen anything like that in any Camry I've ever been in.

Great idea, though. I wonder what it would cost to add that feature to a Camry that doesn't have it. I've got a cutout in the dash for it to install just like yours.

Just for the fun of it, I printed out the pic, and will take it to the local Camry dealer and see if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty neat. Mine doesn't have it, and I've never seen anything like that in any Camry I've ever been in.

Great idea, though. I wonder what it would cost to add that feature to a Camry that doesn't have it. I've got a cutout in the dash for it to install just like yours.

Just for the fun of it, I printed out the pic, and will take it to the local Camry dealer and see if they know anything about it.
Hehe, yeah. A bit different models in Norway then the US.

These are pics from my car (before it was repainted in black metallic though).

Standard gen4 camry in norway have:
automatic climate:

fog lights and headlight washers:

rear disk brakes.
automatic transmission fluid cooler if car was orderd with trailer connection.
heating seats (though they tend to breake quite easily)

and maybe something else that i forgot... :p

But on tipic, I guess this means I will probably have to figure this out on my own. Will try to take a look at the headlight in more detail and see if I can figure it out. I'm hoping it's just frozen stuck due to me washing the car in -15c. But had to get off the salt, so had no choise... >_<

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,638 Posts
Well this is very weird.

When you posted the pic of you dash, I thought it was exactly like mine, with a couple of knock-outs on mine, filled with your headlight stuff on yours.

Turns out the layout is different as well. Here's what mine looks like, and compared to yours it's not at all the same. Mine is a 2001 Camry XLE, US made.

You just have to wonder why they do this. I guess it's no big deal to have different dash inserts, but it would sure cut down on the inventory if they had one plate for every Toyota and then just filled the knock-outs with the different options for the car.

·
8,484 Posts
If it is something that will fail an inspection than I would rather not have it. I mean really seems a little silly to me to be adjusting the headlights all the time, how do you know when you have it right and not blinding traffic once you move it? I guess just put it back to zero and hope it goes right back where it was? I would like the heated seats though :)

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Wish I can help you with this but U.S. don't get adjustable headlights and most cars so I don't know much about it. (Only the really fancy cars) I guess it first check to hear is the motor is trying to run. Then check if 12VDC is coming to the motor from the plug connecting to it with a voltmeter. I'm assuming there's three wire, one power to move up, another power to move down and ground. If there's power, the problem is in the motor, if there's no power, then it's the wiring system. You can check all fuses but I guessing both motors use the same fuse of it's not likely. This it the best with my general knowledge. Maybe try warming the motor with a hair dryer if you can.

BTW, this there any pictures of your repainted Camry. Would love to see that black metallic.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
They must get faster Camrys too cuz his speedometer reads 220!! I kid :lol:

But now I'm curious, my 98 has a lighted ring around the ignition switch, it does not look like that one does? Other gen 4 owners, does yours?

What about that thing under the head unit? Is that a lid over the cubby hole? Mine doesn't have that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They must get faster Camrys too cuz his speedometer reads 220!! I kid :lol:

But now I'm curious, my 98 has a lighted ring around the ignition switch, it does not look like that one does? Other gen 4 owners, does yours?

What about that thing under the head unit? Is that a lid over the cubby hole? Mine doesn't have that.
Correct, I don't have the ignition ring light. It can easily be installed though, but it didn't come with that originally.

The black under the headunit is just a cover, yes. It's because it's designed to be possible to install a doubble DIN headunit there as well.
A bit easier to see here, on teh full res image:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq5gb0l4j1p562p/inside.jpg
(click download on the top right to get the full res pic)

heartdisease: i'm not 100% sure it's needed to work to pass inspection, as long as they're aimed properly - wich they are now. So hopefully no problems in a few hours when it's imspection time.
Hopefully they have just frozen and will defrost while being indoors for a coupple of hours.

You easily see if they're aimed properly or not, as you easily see how high/low the lights are aimed either in the dark, or when driving up to a wall.
Maybe i can take a video to demonstrate it later today... :)

Yuko: unfortunately i haven't been able to take any pics yet. It's either been too dark, or too dirty. And as you might guess, washing it outdoors at -10c to -15c is a bit complicated, lol. As soon as it's washed, you have a 1-2mm thick layer of ice all over the car... >_< (but at least the sand and salt is gone).

Will try to take some pics soon, but need to wait for a bit better weather.

·
Stilkiboy
-98 Camry
220 Posts
To remove the headlight motor, you must first remove the headlamp. Mke sute you unscrew the adjustment screw on the motor before removing the headlamp(It should be clockwise, same way as when you're adjusting the lamp upwards). Behind the headlamp it's three nuts(10mm) witch holds it and voila!

As far as to what's wrong it might be a broken wire or the motor itself. Yoy could try the right motor on the left side and visa versa to rule out one of the two. Connectors should be the same. The pic is from the right side due to pure convenience :p

Other differences:
Gen4 (-98) front:

(Teddybear's not stock)

A/C-unit is mirrored:
Norwegian stock option:

US Solara a/c unit:

Fold-in mirrors(required by EU-regulations):

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. :)

Good news is it didn't fail inspection today due to it. They aperantly didn't notice.
bad news is it failed anyway as the valve cover is leaking a tiny bit of oil... gah... >_<
But at least that's a rather inexpencive fix.. :)

·
Stilkiboy
-98 Camry
220 Posts
Thanks. :)

Good news is it didn't fail inspection today due to it. They aperantly didn't notice.
bad news is it failed anyway as the valve cover is leaking a tiny bit of oil... gah... >_<
But at least that's a rather inexpencive fix.. :)
Quite a coincidence :eek: Mine failed today to also because of an oilleak :lol: So your not alone :p Mine leaks from the oilsump after a bit "speedy" reinstallation :facepalm: Gonna fix it tomorrow and have it approved on monday.

Anyway the headlight motors is not a failure on the inspection. It's only a requirement if the car is equipped with xenonlights. And then it must be auto-adjustable.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aha, ok, sounds good. Then i'll leave it untill spring when it's warmer. Refuse to fix something that's not nessesery in -10 to -15c, lol.

And, mine as well, have lots of rust on the oil pan/sump (or whatever it's actually called), and was recommended to keep an eye on it and concider replacing it.
Was it a lot of work to do this? As in, is it something that would take several hours at a mechanics, or is it something that is done rather quickly?

But since it's only rusty, and not broken in any way, maybe it's enough to just brush away the rust and repaint it with rust protection?

·
Stilkiboy
-98 Camry
220 Posts
It took me about 3 hours in -18c. But i went in to warm up in 2 of them :bitterCold:

It's 2 10mm nuts and 17 10mm bolts holding the pan. But you have to remove the front exhaust pipe(only need to unscrew the 3 14mm nuts on the manifold and bend it at the flexitubing) aswell as 2 brackets held on by 3 14mm bolts each. The gasket is a "form in place gasket". I'll use this when I'll fix it:
http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bilreservedeler/Kjolesystem--ventilasjon/Vannpumpe/Pakningssilikon-for-hoye-temperaturer-36194/

·
Stilkiboy
-98 Camry
220 Posts
No prob! Your :welcome:!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now i've checked a bit more, and both engines Are spinning.
However, even if the engine is spinning, the lamp is not moving, so i'm wondering if it's possible it's the gear inside that's broken. I guess i'll just have to take apart the whole motor assembly after removing the headlamp to find out... :(

At least i can exclude bad connection or broken engine. But repairing the gears if those are the faulth might be just as hard as finding a complete replacement engine though.

·
Stilkiboy
-98 Camry
220 Posts
It could be the plastic "stick" that goes into the motor from the lamp that has broken off or just came loose.

Anyway, I think it comes with the motor and the motor will cost you your shirt and half your wardrobe.:disappoin

The cheapest is a scrapyard, but it's not that many Camrys in Norwegian scrapyards :rolleyes:

The partnumber is: 81144‑33010

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
My question is whether they ever changed to the 4.5 ion Norway? I would love the front bumper cover with the build in fogs for a 4.5.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts