Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Highlander XSE 2021
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Toyota Highlander XSE 2021, and today I took my dog out after work. Here in Vegas it's getting warm and I stopped at Sams Club before going home. You all told me you can't lock the driver door while the car is running except if you use the actual key. In this case I did. I used the key to lock the door with the AC on, ran inside for about 10 min and came back out. All was well. I went to open the rear lift gate and it wouldn't open. I.pushed the button on the back/ under the lift gate, nothing. Used the key fob to try and open the lift gate and got nothing. I went to the driver side door, and used the metal part of the key fob to open the door which was no biggie BUT I still couldn't get lift gate to open. I turned the car off, nothing, turned the car back on... finally after looking like I was breaking in my car it opened. What happened????

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum AWD, 2017 Tacoma OR DCLB 4x4
78 Posts
It sounds like the lift gate was still locked. Think of the lift gate as a fifth door--just like any other door, it cannot be opened if it is locked.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
+1 to the above - unlock all the doors first.

Another point to mention... if the car is already running, it's drivable even without the fob. The fob has to be present inside the car to start it, but after that it will keep running. Just something to consider if you're going to leave it running in a public place like that. A slightly better idea would be to turn the car off and then turn it back on using the remote start. When the car is started with remote start, it shuts off as soon as you open a door and requires the fob again to start it the normal way. Remote start will only run the car for 10 minutes, but it sounds like that would have been enough in this case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Remote start will only run the car for 10 minutes, but it sounds like that would have been enough in this case.
Also if started with the ignition and left in park, the Highlander will only run about 45 minutes and then shut itself off.

·
Registered
Toyota Highlander XSE 2021
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also if started with the ignition and left in park, the Highlander will only run about 45 minutes and then shut itself off.
Very valid points all. I think I will do the remote start next time. Just a quick in and out. But what happens if I need longer? I need ALL doors locked. But I also want them to open when I want them to open....

·
Registered
78 Posts
But what happens if I need longer? I need ALL doors locked. But I also want them to open when I want them to open....
I can't guarantee this will work, but an aftermarket remote start may do what you want. We had one installed in our old car which you could program to run for up to two hours.

Alternately, use the Remote Connect app and restart the Highlander every time it shuts off?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Remote start will only run the car for 10 minutes, but it sounds like that would have been enough in this case.
I don’t know about the OP, but my “I should be back in 10 minutes” visits are often foiled by running into someone I know, getting sidetracked by an interesting display, checkout lines that take forever, etc. Personally, I would not run the risk.

Also — if you have a hybrid, the lack of engine noise may mean it won’t be obvious that the A/C is on and everything is fine inside. If an overzealous passerby decides to “help,” you may find yourself replacing a window. I know Teslas have a “dog mode” that displays a message on the screen since it’s not obvious that the A/C is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts