Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Troyslegacy
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would write a quick note on my experience with my 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 4cyl 5spd xtra-cab. This truck was damn near bulletproof and saved me from many precarious situations while on and off of the road. When the 2005 model came out I was interested but took a "wait and see" approach. I drove a friends 2005 in Jul of 06 and shortly therafter decided to buy an 06. I ended up buying a DC 4WD 6spd with the TRD-Off Road setup. I had owned the truck for approximately 10 days and had no problems other then the ticking situation. I then received deployment orders to Cambodia. Needless to say my truck was parked in August of 06 with less then 1000 miles. It has been driven a handful of times since I have been gone(mainly to charge the battery) and even now in Feb 07 has only about 1100 miles. I guess what I am saying is that there are so many complaints with this new truck. Things such as engine ticking, doors cracking, tailgates collapsing that I am worried that I made a mistake in trading in my 03 which never had an issue of any kind. I have never heard so many complaints on a truck before such as the 05+. I drive a 2003 4dr Tacoma here in Cambodia and other then the brakes it is a great truck. I have to drive out to a lot of remote places and the truck does great. I worry that this new model can't take the heat that these older trucks could take. I invite some opinions on this subject as I have less then a 1000 miles of experience on the new truck. Thanks

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
Before I baught my 2007 Tacoma I owned a 95 Pathfinder that I racked up to 430,000km's. I put no money into it and I paid next to nothing for it. It was hard for me to make the move to Toyota but I am glad I did. With that in mind if you go to a Nissan Pathfinder forum you will find just as many if not more issues with the Pathfinder. There is a rule of thumb. If something good happends (lets say my Tacoma is great on gas) I tell one person, if something bad happends (lets say there was a small issue with the fuel pump) you tell 10. Do the math you have a whole lot of complaints that overshadow the great.

Every vehicle has its problem, but now we have houndreds of people in the same spot with the same truck problems otherwise blown off as bad luck, or one of a kind are now concentrated.

I am sure problems with arise for my new truck one day, and when they do, I will think to myself that I am so lucky I am not driving a vehicle that has mass recalls, only lasts 5 or 6 years or is so tangled with problems that I just drive it as is. Name a vehicle that doesn't have problems and I will find the proof to proove you wrong,all you have to do is visit a forum for that particular vehcile.

See here for my information

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think by coming here and reading theses sites it magnifies the problems of the new tacoma 100 fold. That's what people come here for; to complain. I've seen super duty fords with bent tail gates but I haven't seen one new tacoma in my area in two years with a bent tail gate yet. I have a friend who works in the service department at Toyota, and he says they hardley ever see the new Tacoma come in for anything. Basically it is a lighter truck with thinner sheet metal and a composite bed but that's to cut back on the wear and tear of the truck. Your brakes are gonna last longer, your tires are gonna last longer, It's gonna be better off raod, less strain on the motor. We have less HP than the Frontier and yet we have a better 0-60 time with better fuel milage. Just sit back and wait and see how many poeple complain about the new Tundra. Any time something new comes out poeple don't trust it and look for anything to complain about. The new Tacoma is 10X better than the old Tacoma. Every old toyota pick up I see is just about rusted in half. How bullit profe is that? My 87 4x4 had rust rust popping out by 1989 just two years later. They even had had problems with the frames rusting in half. All the complaining you read about on here is out of 400,000 new Tacomas sold since 2005.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
I totally agree with Tom B and D Caplan. On the web you will hear a lot more negitives than you will positives things, thats the internet for ya. I bought a 89 Toy PU and they said the same things about the truck since it was a new GEN. It had it's flaws but nothing major (Radiator, starter, main oil seal) I had it for 17 years with over 160k on it, mainly city driving. It was a tank and since I had it for so long I abused it a lot more than usual. With my 05 Tacoma I'm still getting to know her and have'nt experienced any problems that people have posted. I have 16k on it and it still running strong.

·
Registered
441 Posts
you made the right choice, once you get home and start driving it you will see..hang in there, youre gonna like the ride

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a TOUGH 2002 xtra cab before swapping to the '06 AC..... The tailgate sucks but overall I think that this new truck will serve me very well.....

Just enjoy it and remember to baby the tailgate.....

·
Registered
CJ5 Unlimited
308 Posts
That's right. The difference is the prevalence of the internet. Problems exist through out all product lines... the notable delta is the ability of owners to reach out to each other. The truck isn't any better (or worse).... its just easier to talk about it.

I have had 2 brand new Jeeps (a 98 wrangler and an 04 Grand Cherokee)... both, if you believe the press and the internet suck. Neither went to the dealer for ANYTHING other than routine stuff. Perfectly reliable.

But if I stuck to the internet I'd find myself walking naked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with everyone else. These trucks are made lighter and I do not think they are as tuff. IMO they have much more room, faster, and a hell of a lot better looking.
The guy that lives next door to me would come over and stare at my truck like he was looking a necked woman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts