Toyota Nation Forum banner

Lemon Highlander Hybrid 2020 LE...now water leak

3939 Views 32 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ToyoEgos
Hi everyone,

did someone had problem with water leak under the front driver floor mat ? I have a 2020 LE (that is a REAL lemon, I'm now at the 8 major issue since January 2021!!!!) and it have a lot of water under the floor mat of the driver side. It'a a LE so, no gimmick, no sunroof, moonroof or anything that usually leak. Also, its the original Windshield, again, so not suppose to have problem there too.

So someone had this issue (or any water leak) ?

Thank you !

Eric
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Lexus is just a pimped out Toyota. It's not designed and built like real premium / luxury cars that are designed from the ground-up as a premium product. "You can put lipstick on a pig ..."
Hi Katekebo, what do you mean that is not designed and built like a ''real'' premium ? I know that they are on the same platform (K platform). It is not the same for all manufacturer ? Acura have the same platform as Honda ? And Infiniti have the same as Nissan ?

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Hi Katekebo, what do you mean that is not designed and built like a ''real'' premium ? I know that they are on the same platform (K platform). It is not the same for all manufacturer ? Acura have the same platform as Honda ? And Infiniti have the same as Nissan ?
You won't get a rational response. He has a bone to pick with Toyota.

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So the dealer was give me the car back. They do some test a quick cleanup, and they say that they don't find any leaks ... common.
The dealer say that he can't find the water leak after having the car and searching for 2 weeks, that's make me wonder if they are any competent with water leaks, they spray some water with a hose over it and call it a day.

Today after a trip in the rain, I notice the car is still leaking, so back to house I did a test with a pressure washer (best way to simulate a heavy rain at 80mph), I found the problem in less than 15 minutes. It leak in the upper front left, probably a seam in the body or the base of the windshield. The water drip very slowly so it take a while to detect the leak.

What make me a bit angry, is the dealer doesn't seem to care about the problem. I don't have any trust in them anymore, and if the body is leaking, I just take the cash and run away. It will be another one problem not mine anymore.

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Why even stay with a Toyota Product?
Currently, the dealer offer me to buy the car back, so I'm stuck with them since they are aware of the leaking problem and they won't sue me. I don't want to sell the car to anyone else and risk being sued for a hidden problem. And quite frankly, I think nobody will ever want buy a car with water leak. If the dealer sell it after that to someone else, it surely won't be my fault, and legally I will be clear.

I must say that I don't ''hate'' or ''dislike'' Toyota, I always had Toyota before and generally speaking, like them (at least, the ones I had before was problem free for the most part of the ownership), I want to convince myself that I had real bad luck with this one, its a first year/model. I know that Toyota and Lexus are the same company, but I wonder if any brand will be better that Toyota/Lexus, maybe, but I didn't had great experience when I had other brand.

I look for a High-end/Luxury SUV with a reliable hybrid power plant, so, the option are pretty limited to Toyota and Lexus, and more specifically to Highlander and RX.

I will go take a look at other brand for sure.

My friend just bought a new MDX, car is nice but they are not trouble free also. He also say he averaging 17-18 l/ 100km, what is a awful gas mileage for a new car just redesigned this year. He also pay north of 90k for it. I had a friend with a BMW X5, well, the car had a lot of problem too.

I need to go take a look at Mercedes, but, from what I heard, they are quite expensive to run, maintain and fix.

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finally, I will get my new highlander hybrid 2023 LE tomorrow ! I just wish the problem will be over with the new one ! I really don't want to have water leak again. I will take a look closely in the next few month to be sure all is ok. I will keep the post updated, but I really really wish that all will be ok !

· Registered
52 Posts
And hopefully at no cost to you! And hopefully the new one will not have problems! Best wishes!

I heard a rumor. In the 1990's Toyota was trying to figure out how another car company (I'll leave unnamed, since it is just a rumor) could build and sell a car so cheaply. So they bought one and dismantled it. Turns out this other company used 1/3 less parts. Lets see, bolt, nut, lock washer. Which is the easiest part to leave out?

Edit: I do think that Toyota, and other companies, still follow the concept of
Kaizen (English: Continuous improvement). So likely your 2023 will be better than your 2020

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And hopefully at no cost to you! And hopefully the new one will not have problems! Best wishes!

I heard a rumor. In the 1990's Toyota was trying to figure out how another car company (I'll leave unnamed, since it is just a rumor) could build and sell a car so cheaply. So they bought one and dismantled it. Turns out this other company used 1/3 less parts. Lets see, bolt, nut, lock washer. Which is the easiest part to leave out?

Edit: I do think that Toyota, and other companies, still follow the concept of
Kaizen (English: Continuous improvement). So likely your 2023 will be better than your 2020

With the current market I haven't lose money, the dealer bought the car the same price I paid it two years ago.

For the kaizen concept, I think they still use it, for instance, I see some change with my 2023 VS my 2020. I notice a few things, better panel alignment, trunk seem to close smoother. Doors shut ''tighter''. Exterior plastic trims are less flimsy. It's all small things, but it prove that they still improve over time.

I also notice that they use different updated parts for many parts, fuel tank, hybrid cable, etc, etc.

But I learned my lesson :rolleyes:, I will never ever but a first year model-year car anymore, even with a Toyota-Lexus. When you buy a new year model, you will be testing and more prone to problems. Usually I always try to buy a car on the end of his lifecycle, so i have all updated parts, most problem are usually fixed. I know that I still can have problem, but at least, they probably fixed many over 3 years.

· Registered
90 Posts
Just a FYI there are creative ways to find a water leak, and trust me water leaks are the worst thing to get on a service order

Once you eliminate the sunroof drains, and look at all the seals, the easiest way is to either use a smoke machine and pressurize the crap out of the car to force the smoke out, or in the bad old days we would open a tank of freon ( no oil, just gas, when it was cheap) in the car, close it up, and use the freon sniffer to find the leak.

the third way is to pop an ozone generator in the car and let it run, then use an Ozone sniffer to hunt for the leak.

· Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just a FYI there are creative ways to find a water leak, and trust me water leaks are the worst thing to get on a service order

Once you eliminate the sunroof drains, and look at all the seals, the easiest way is to either use a smoke machine and pressurize the crap out of the car to force the smoke out, or in the bad old days we would open a tank of freon ( no oil, just gas, when it was cheap) in the car, close it up, and use the freon sniffer to find the leak.

the third way is to pop an ozone generator in the car and let it run, then use an Ozone sniffer to hunt for the leak.
Hi thank for your input. They are indeed good way to find a water leaks, but i think dealer doesn't really care about finding the problem (at least the two dealer i visit), they prefer to put the fault on consumer instead of admit a manufacturing problem. After two years of water intrusion i decided to trade the Highlaner for another one, because i live in Canada and here, its a lot of salt water that was entering the vehicle, so i didn't want to deal with long term problem caused by the water intrusion.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts