Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know the length of a Supra I6? might want to put 1 in a volvo, maybe from mid 80's early 90's

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your quick responce, i got another question........
whats the difference between a 5M-GE and a 7M-GE

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
5mge was in the older supras 1982 - 1986.... 7mge was in the newer supras.... 1987-1993. I believe they have a larger displacement.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
The 5MGE was a 2,759cc, DOHC motor.
The 7MG(t)E was 2,954cc, DOHC motor.
The 2JZ is a 2,997cc, DOHC motor.

engine bore stroke
5M 83.0 85.0
7M 83.0 91.0

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1985 volvo ......... not sure of the model .... paid 15 dollars for it at the auction ...... can I turbo the 5 or the 7? both are currently non turbo and the volvo is a turbo. the 5m is in an 82 supra and the 7m is in an 86 supra. I can buy the pair pretty cheap ..... maybe 100 bucks for the pair

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
You can turbo both, however it's recommended that you just get a 7M-GTE motor. It was factory turbocharged.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just thinking about it ...... I want the power from the I-6 with the practicallity of the 4-door volvo ...... looks like it would be an easy swap ....

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
7M-GTE had some changes internally.
- Pistons on the 7mge (iirc) were domed, while the GTE's are concave.
- Compression is higher on the GE (naturally).
- The GTE block has oil squirters (for cooling the pistons) and also had oil feed and returns for the turbo. I don't think the GE has the oil drain or psi feed machined in it. The heads I believe are the same with the exception of the camshaft profiles.

The stock compression on a 7M-GE is 9.2:1 vs 8.4:1 on the GTE.

Here's a list from another site:
oil pump, oil filter setup, n/a has 1 knock sensor turbo has two, almost all the other sensors and eletronics are different (afm, ISC, etc), pistons (that's the compression difference), spark plugs and wires, alternator, rear diff, driveshaft, clutch, intake setup, radiator (according to Toyota anyway), clutch fan, and I think I'll stop my ramblings there.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
an 85 volvo is probably either a 240 (I4), 740 (I4) ot 760 (V6)

the 740 had an optional turbo, not sure about the 760 though, but it may

if i were you though i'd put in a 5.0L cobra motor in it, there's conversion kits out there available (motor mounts and drive shaft)

and the motor has so much more aftermarket support (supercharger, twin turbos....)

its a pretty common conversion here are a couple links i found doing a quick search

http://www.jtrpublishing.com/Pages/Volvo_200_V-8.html

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/about.htm

http://www.volvoadventures.com/284V8spec.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all right ..... oil lines can be delt with by using a remote oil filter..
compression on the other hand ..... i thought more was better?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the volvo is losing it's turbo to my celica project ...... as far as using a cobra 5.0L ......... I considered it and your right its common. thats why i don't want to do it

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
toyotafan said:
all right ..... oil lines can be delt with by using a remote oil filter..
compression on the other hand ..... i thought more was better?
It is, but in this case it's MUCH more common to break stuff if you turbo the N/A Motor. It doesn't have the internals to keep pistons cool under boost. It's just generally not designed for boost. Save yourself the trouble and pick up a 7M-GTE from http://www.nippon-motors.com or someplace like it.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
You will.
- GTE has 2 knock sensors, GE's have only 1 knock sensor.
- The Air Flow Meter design is totally different, so is the wiring.
- Ignition is no longer done via a distributor, it is on a coil pack system, the N/A Harness won't plug into the coil pack.
- The N/A doesn't have a cam position sensor like the GTE does.
- Various other things.

At the same time, keep in mind, that you will also need the proper ECU for the correct year, motor, and transmission type as they are all different. GTE ECU's for instance have timing and fuel maps that are designed for boost, GE's don't.

Also take note that they changed the wiring harness in 1989, so there are two styles. 1) 1987-88 and 2) 1989-1992. So, if you get a wiring harness from a 1990, Turbo, Automatic car. You'd need the "89+, GTE, A/T" ECU, if it's from a 1987, Manual, Turbo "87, GTE, M/T" and so on and so forth.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
toyotafan said:
Whats the difference internally? did the 7M-GTE have forged internals?
Not even a 2JZ-GTE has forged internals ;)

The Volvo 80's/90's era turbo motors do, I think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts