Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have done a lot of searching on leveling and lift kits. Some say they maintain a factory ride, some others don't. Some have warranty problems and some don't. Some affect a lot of other components and make other items wear faster.

So, I want to at the minimum level my truck, but would like to do about a 2" all around, no more. I just want a bit of extra height without any of the worry of affecting any other components (ball joints, cv boots, drive train, etc.) or affecting warranty.

So, it seems like everyone agrees the best and cheapest way is to get the Bilstein 5100s, which I assume all you need is 4 need struts and adjust them as required for 2"?, and nothing else to make this work?

I've read alot about leveling kits like ready lift as well. They seem like a cheap route to go but is the the cheap route for a reason? Do they really maintain a factory ride are there any side effects or consequences of using spacers like this? Do metal spacers give a stiffer ride than the plastic ones?

I know there has been a lot covered on this already but Ive read many conflicting responses. Just want to know the cheapest / without skimping on quality way to at least level my truck, if not get 2" lift out of it.

2009 Double Cab TRD Sport

Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
5100 or 885 coils up front.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i put a 2.5" leveling kit on the front, and 2" aluminum blocks on the rear... did the install myself (I know very little about mechanics but I can turn a socket) for $250CAN plus $110CAN for an alignment. Then I paid $3K for my wheels and tires :D (17" incubus 501s with 285/70/17 Cooper STT's)

Maybe this is a really bad way of doing it but I'm happy with it and the truck seems to drive fine.:thumbsup:

·
Mr. Toyota
140 Posts
i put a 2.5" leveling kit on the front, and 2" aluminum blocks on the rear... did the install myself (I know very little about mechanics but I can turn a socket) for $250CAN plus $110CAN for an alignment.
Do you have a link for the stuff you used? Thx.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i put a 2.5" leveling kit on the front, and 2" aluminum blocks on the rear... did the install myself (I know very little about mechanics but I can turn a socket) for $250CAN plus $110CAN for an alignment. Then I paid $3K for my wheels and tires :D (17" incubus 501s with 285/70/17 Cooper STT's)

Maybe this is a really bad way of doing it but I'm happy with it and the truck seems to drive fine.:thumbsup:
I have always been curious about these "rear blocks".

This is the first pickup truck I've owned but it seems like adding a block would not be good for the truck and give a rougher ride. Any thoughts / experiences?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Plus if you AAL you can put more crap in the back :)

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
5100's = $299 from DSMS and a AAL = $80-100 from Wheelers, ToyTec, or Fat Bob's Garage. That won't break the bank or hurt your ride!

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Dammit... so I bought the 1.5 block for the same amount that the AAL is, and it's a bad product? I don't really notice any problems with the ride, yet. :confused:

Block link : http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/shar...17322945&CategoryID=10069&Target=products.asp

Leveling Kit link: http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/shar...17322945&CategoryID=10069&Target=products.asp
It isn't a bad product, the AAL is just more functional. AAL = better ride, more towing capable, etc. The block is more for looks!

I would say the rear took longer when I put my rear AAL in. Just see how you like it then you can switch it later if you need. I would definitely say have (2) good jacks, (2) stands, (4) quick C-claps, and (2) sets of hands to make the swap easier and faster. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dammit... so I bought the 1.5 block for the same amount that the AAL is, and it's a bad product? I don't really notice any problems with the ride, yet. :confused:

Block link : http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/shar...17322945&CategoryID=10069&Target=products.asp

Leveling Kit link: http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/shar...17322945&CategoryID=10069&Target=products.asp
You'll notice the blocks when you romp on the gas to pass someone on a road with tar snakes or a road that's wet or a little mist on them. You'll really notice them when you're on a gravel road and doing hill climbs off-road. The thing you'll notice is the rear end chattering or hopping under severe load.

The safe way to run a block is with a track bar that stops your axle from rotating under load. Otherwise, blocks are a bit dangerous. See if you can make an exchange at where you purchased it from.

·
Registered
2007 TRD long box
24 Posts
I have some brand new OME 884 front springs I could possibly sell you if you are considering going that way. They lift 2.5" but sag out to arround 2". I wanted a full 3" llift so I ordered 885's instead (2 days later :headbang:). Should recieve them in the next few days here... PM me if you are inerested.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You'll notice the blocks when you romp on the gas to pass someone on a road with tar snakes or a road that's wet or a little mist on them. You'll really notice them when you're on a gravel road and doing hill climbs off-road. The thing you'll notice is the rear end chattering or hopping under severe load.

The safe way to run a block is with a track bar that stops your axle from rotating under load. Otherwise, blocks are a bit dangerous. See if you can make an exchange at where you purchased it from.

Now that's a purdy picture (and definitely worth a thousand words).

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts

Just to clarify something, the green arrows above are in the direction that the wheels rotate, but the momentum from the axle with respect to the leafpack is in the reverse direction, the front of the leafpack is the side that will deform upward thus causing the wheel-hop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just to clarify something, the green arrows above are in the direction that the wheels rotate, but the momentum from the axle with respect to the leafpack is in the reverse direction, the front of the leafpack is the side that will deform upward thus causing the wheel-hop.

Minus the big red cross

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've done a lot of studying on this subject myself. I'm very interested in the Readylift products mself. The dealer that I bought my truck from sends out all their lift work out, and all the lifts they have installed are Readylifts. Unfortunately I can get them to tell who does all their installs. I'm really considering going with the Readylift. For whatever its worth.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is from the ready lift site. Appears if you install the leveling kit on a TRD model it will end up actually raising the nose higher than the rear, so its not really a leveling kit.

But they have a lifetime warranty, easy install, and guaranteed to maintain a factory ride without premature wearing on other components.

So, anyone here with a TRD sport , 09 preferably, install one of these kits? if so, is the nose up higher?

ReadyLift® leveling kits are the fastest, safest, least expensive way to bring the front of your vehicle level with the rear. Our innovative Smart Strut Technology mounts on top of the strut assembly, eliminating the hassle, time and danger of compressing springs. ReadyLift® steel strut extension will maintain a smooth OEM ride without adding pressure to stock suspension components, guaranteed!

The 66-5055 strut extension provides 2.25” of lift which gives clearance to add up to 33” wheels and tires to the Toyota Tacoma. Installation is simple and requires no strut preloading, cutting, or modification of factory installed parts. While other kits cost thousands to buy and hours to install, ReadyLift® can be installed one to two hours and costs less than the price of a single custom wheel.

ReadyLift® Lifetime Warranty Included! All ReadyLift® products are backed by a lifetime warranty for as long as you own your vehicle and includes all necessary parts, hardware, detailed installation instructions, and two color decals.

Note: It is ReadyLift’s position that our objective is to provide a product that levels the vehicle. Through on-going research we have discovered that Toyota trucks have a unique pattern of being manufactured and sold with varying degrees of rear to front rake. It appears that many Toyota trucks are not the same height or possess the same rake as the same stock truck sitting next to it. Our research has determined there can be as much as 1.0” difference in rake and ride height from truck to truck. TRD-equipped trucks often have only 1.0” of rake compared to a non-TRD truck. Measurements on some customer’s trucks have revealed as much as 1.0” difference in the factory front end height.
If you measure the truck at stock height, then install a 3” strut extension and determine after installation and alignment that the truck sits nose high, you most likely are an owner of one of the trucks that has less rear to front rake. To compensate for the difference, ReadyLift suggests installing one of our 1.0” (66-5001) Rear Block Kits to achieve a slight rake to a level stance.
ReadyLift® Features

Keeps your factory ride - Guaranteed
Will never wear, break or fail - Guaranteed
Toughest finish – Guaranteed
Safest way to level lift - Guaranteed
Smartest Strut Extensions Available

ReadyLift® Top Mount Strut Extension
Safely installs without compressing struts
Fixed Lift
10.9 rated mounting studs
Powder coated - Solid steel construction
Made from 7mm plate steel (over 1/4" thick)

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is from the ready lift site. Appears if you install the leveling kit on a TRD model it will end up actually raising the nose higher than the rear, so its not really a leveling kit.

But they have a lifetime warranty, easy install, and guaranteed to maintain a factory ride without premature wearing on other components.

So, anyone here with a TRD sport , 09 preferably, install one of these kits? if so, is the nose up higher?
That's what I actually got. And yes, I felt it pushed the front end higher than the rear. When I measured it, it was about a half inch higher than the back. So I figured, why not grab some blocks for the back and I'm golden... it looks badass but... now after reading some of the experienced comments on this post (appreciated by the way) I'm wondering if I should try to return for AAL's. Anyone have any history trying to return parts to Fat Bobs Garage online? The shipping was half the price of the product, so I may as well just try and sell instead of returning. Dammit you always get what you pay for... silly me trying to save money again...

On another note, not sure if it's related, but I was driving over 100k/hr today for the first time since the lift and the bigger wheels and the truck seems to have a bit of a mind of it's own. To be expected I suppose - and with my extensive searching on this forum it seems the UCA's might solve my problem.

As for the drawing, thank you so much for posting... it still leaves me a little confused. I have a buddy coming by tomorrow that knows a heck of a lot more than me when it comes to this stuff and I'll show him the drawings maybe he can help me so I don't feel so stupid! :lol:

I sure like drivin' em big trucks I just don't know how to work on 'em! :sosad:

I just got this tacoma... had a lexus IS before and had a pretty good handle on the lowering/performance side of things... now I got kids and camping/mountain stuff is preferred over fast n' furious...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just got this tacoma... had a lexus IS before and had a pretty good handle on the lowering/performance side of things... now I got kids and camping/mountain stuff is preferred over fast n' furious...
Kinda funny how that goes! You'll get this mechanical stuff, you learned about lowering/performance somehow. You'll figure out ground clearance and going slow just the same. Join us over at CT4WDA.com (We're Calgarians!) We can help you out and take you on some nice trails/camping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Join us over at CT4WDA.com (We're Calgarians!) We can help you out and take you on some nice trails/camping.
Thanks for the invite freeze365... I just joined CT4WDA - we just had a baby so I'm not leaving the house that much these days but I'll definitely get out when I can. Would be good to catch up with some local Toyota guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts