Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JD. Power and Associates has just released its 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study... and it is a bombshell. For the past 14 years, including the most recent 2008 Vehicle Dependability Study, Lexus has sat at the top of the chart. In a significant upset this year, Buick and Jaguar have tied for top ranking (with just 122 problems per 100 vehicles) dropping the premium automaker Lexus (126 PP100) down to third place. The top five are rounded out by Toyota (129 PP100) and Mercury (134 PP100).

The Vehicle Dependability Study is designed to accurately measure problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2006 model year) vehicles. J.D. Power based this year's results on responses from more than 46,000 original owners of 2006 model-year vehicles. For 2009, the study has also been redesigned to include 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle. Scores are based on the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with lower scores reflecting higher vehicle quality. The complete J.D. Power press release and charts can be found after the jump and in the gallery below.
I can see the marketing department at Buick and Jaguar jump on this

·
Banned
0 Posts
I can see the marketing department at Buick and Jaguar jump on this
You mean like everyone else does? That's all these "ratings" are is marketing BS. No different than CR or any of the others.

·
The Biggest comment Whore
2002 Camry LE
1,956 Posts
Acutally, Jaguar and Buick Tied for number 1. So, that would technically put Lexus Second... Right?
According to Edmunds and Yahoo

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Jag? I thought they sucked. Didnt they have a ton of problems?
That perception could explain why Jaguar is doing so well in the latest survey. So many people believe that Jaguar has been so poor in reliability that any (little) improvement is going to be very significant. And expectations of Jaguar as a brand will be much lower -- because of its bad history -- than expectations of Lexus -- because of its good history -- that survey respondents will expect less of Jaguar than they will of Lexus; a good new Jaguar may not be better than a Toyota or Honda, but it will seem better because of its poor history.

·
Banned
0 Posts
That perception could explain why Jaguar is doing so well in the latest survey. So many people believe that Jaguar has been so poor in reliability that any (little) improvement is going to be very significant. And expectations of Jaguar as a brand will be much lower -- because of its bad history -- than expectations of Lexus -- because of its good history -- that survey respondents will expect less of Jaguar than they will of Lexus; a good new Jaguar may not be better than a Toyota or Honda, but it will seem better because of its poor history.
Wow!!! Congratulations! You win the SOTMA (Spin Of The Month Award). :clap:

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
psh.

who cares about these ratings anyway?

i say just buy what you want, drive what you will and take the chances....all cars have issues, its just to what extent....buying any vehicle is a gamble and risk we all take.

i love my lexus, i think the build quality is excellent and its very reliable with camry underpinnings and a tried and true 1MZ-FE under the hood, but it still has a few quirks. overall, im very satisfied and id certainly buy another lexus, but then again im very biased as im a huge toyota/lexus fan

·
268 HP OWNER
CAMRY
1,085 Posts
Buick and Jag? come on, that cant be a truth.Jag......could be but not Buick.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Jag? I thought they sucked. Didnt they have a ton of problems?

From what I have read, Ford was really getting them on the right track just before the sale last year.

The XKR is a badass car, check it out. In fact all their other models are pretty nice as well.

:Bruce:

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Buick and Jag? come on, that cant be a truth.Jag......could be but not Buick.
What just because its a GM product therefore it can't be reliable? What's the last GM car you've driven? I've driven most of the current Chevrolet lineup and I can say most are at least average to excellent in reliability. No GM isn't perfect, the minivans particularly are very troublesome with the tire pressure monitoring system and traction control system needing frequent servicing. If I'm going by any "problems" I could actually put some GMs ahead of Toyota in this area. The Buick Allure, Buick Lucerne, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Tahoe and their rebadges have not produced a single problem in any vehicles we have in fleet while I've had to send 1 Yaris(windshield squirter broke) and 1 Corolla(check engine light) for repairs.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Geez..Jaguar used to have some of the worst reliability records. How did it make it to the top 2?? Surprising.

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Geez..Jaguar used to have some of the worst reliability records. How did it make it to the top 2?? Surprising.

My Children.....
It is the long term reliability that nobody can still beat.. Whatever!

:banger:

There has been times that Grand Am was on top for JD Powers.. LOL!!!

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
My Children.....
It is the long term reliability that nobody can still beat.. Whatever!

:banger:

There has been times that Grand Am was on top for JD Powers.. LOL!!!
Exactly. And the Chevrolet Malibu.:lol:

JD Powers is absolutely dumb. CR has way better results and that's because they have a much larger subscriber base and actually review the cars for their own merits.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts

JD Powers is absolutely dumb. CR has way better results and that's because they have a much larger subscriber base and actually review the cars for their own merits.
CR is not that good either, I find their ratings often vague not really truly saying what's really wrong with the car in whatever category. I prefer to use Lemon-aid(Canadian use only), its very detailed about what's truly wrong with every car along with revealing hidden service bulletins and secret warranties that all car manufacturers are guilty of. Its how my dad bought this Cressida and after reading the 2008 version I noticed the Cressida is still recommended but noting the 7M-GE's head gasket failures.

·
Banned
0 Posts

JD Powers is absolutely dumb. CR has way better results and that's because they love Toyota and hate domestics as much as I do.
Fixed for accuracy. ;)

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
Fixed for accuracy. ;)
Cry all you want, but when the Big 2 make a good car, they do recommend it. Everyone domestic fanboy gets their panties in a bunch because they think the CR results are skewed but their results are the owners of the GM/Ford vehicles reporting in. If you wanna wave the bias flag, then blame the owners for hating their car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts