Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

PASADENA, California — After three auto show appearances and the occasional spy photo and video from Germany's high-speed Nürburgring test circuit, it's no secret that the Lexus LF-A supercar concept is headed for production. With an estimated 500 horsepower coming from the LF-A's 5.0-liter V10, we didn't expect the Lexus to come cheap, but Inside Line has learned that the car will carry a price tag over $200,000.

Ben Mitchell, corporate product planning manager for Lexus, confirmed that the price of the carbon-fiber supercar "will begin with a two." And another Lexus source in Japan told Inside Line the price may be as high as $225,000.

Shown in both coupe and roadster forms, the LF-A will first launch as a coupe. Roadster versions will be priced even higher. Both body styles are approximately 2 inches shorter and an inch narrower than the 483-hp Ferrari F430, with a similarly sized wheelbase. A 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider costs $211,525.

Although final specifications have not yet been released, Lexus says the LF-A will reach a top speed over 200 mph.

What this means to you: Lexus is gunning for the Italians with the LF-A, and it's not going to cut any corners in its quest to deliver a legitimate supercar. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

Source: Insideline.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
$225 = 3 X Nissan Skylines

For my $225, would spend $76K on a Nissan Skyline which will no doubt be faster and handle better than the Lexus-- and buy a few spare Toyota Supra Turbo's from the 90's and a nice four car garage to keep them in. Best of both worlds.

PASADENA, California — After three auto show appearances and the occasional spy photo and video from Germany's high-speed Nürburgring test circuit, it's no secret that the Lexus LF-A supercar concept is headed for production. With an estimated 500 horsepower coming from the LF-A's 5.0-liter V10, we didn't expect the Lexus to come cheap, but Inside Line has learned that the car will carry a price tag over $200,000.

Ben Mitchell, corporate product planning manager for Lexus, confirmed that the price of the carbon-fiber supercar "will begin with a two." And another Lexus source in Japan told Inside Line the price may be as high as $225,000.

Shown in both coupe and roadster forms, the LF-A will first launch as a coupe. Roadster versions will be priced even higher. Both body styles are approximately 2 inches shorter and an inch narrower than the 483-hp Ferrari F430, with a similarly sized wheelbase. A 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider costs $211,525.

Although final specifications have not yet been released, Lexus says the LF-A will reach a top speed over 200 mph.

What this means to you: Lexus is gunning for the Italians with the LF-A, and it's not going to cut any corners in its quest to deliver a legitimate supercar. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

Source: Insideline.com

·
Don Julio
72 Posts
hey, i for one actually look foward to lexus playing against the big dogs and i think its a step that needed to be taken.

now, if only they came out with a cheap RWD supra looking car, preferably using a version of the JZ engine, then i'd totally shut my trap and buy it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ridiculous

Are you telling me that I can get a mint Supra and Two brand new 911 turbos for the same price? Doesn't Toyota realize that price is what killed the Supra and led to the demise of the affordable sports car in America? Obviously, they would have such a sales success if they:

a. made this a Supra/Celica replacement

b. made several versions starting with the 2GR-FE from the RAV-4, Camry V6 and countless other Toyotas and call it a CELICA and topping out with a twin turbo Version calling it the CELICA SUPRA. That would be so retro

C. Make it much smaller/lighter with similar styling by getting rid of the lightweight materials replacing it with a smaller size.

I know they need a flagship/halo car but this is ridiculous. Where does the trickle down to the average consumer come in?

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I am sure this thing will lap Nurburgring Nordchliefe A LOT faster than Skyline GT-R to the tune of 7:21 or so. You have to remember this is going to compete with the Porsche Carrera GT and not Skyline GT-R so if it offers better performance than the Carrera GT and costs 1/3 less, it will be a bargain for exotic owners.

·
Banned
293 Posts
This is great news for Hyundai.

Toyota still has its head burried in the sand while Hyundai is at this moment churning out their RWD sports cars that the average working person can afford.

I know tons of people on the Scion tC, Acura RSX, Civic SI (sport compact) boards that are going to trade their rides in as soon as hyudai releases it.

Toyota only listens to what 40 year old women want and never the enthusiasts.

·
Future Toyota Engineer
156 Posts
I agree that there should be some sporty affordable vehicles in Toyota's lineup right now, and that 2011 is a long time to wait before the Toyota/Subaru RWD coupe arrives.

I don't agree with flaming the LF-A. Sure 225k is a lot of money, but that price undercuts or rivals many of the competitors'.

At just under 2600 pounds, this car should drive like a champ.

While Toyota's performance department may be taking a while to return, this LF-A is a step in the right direction.

Maybe the FT-HS will be next.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
MAR: I hope you're not the, "Future Toyota Engineer." The LF-A is all carbon fiber which is why it is light. I wonder how much it would cost to fix a carbon fiber bumper after it got torned up in a car accident. Sure it rivals some of it's competition but it's all about who got the greens to pay for it. I wonder how much the brakes gonna cost? Maybe Calvin Cowl would get his hands on one since he got a Veyron. Sorry, but even a Lamborghini Gallardo costs lesser and looks nicer than that. Sooo Saaad. I bet this will only be available in limited quantity only or gotta be on order.

·
Camry Lover
22 Posts
Tom_Celica I agree with you on some of your points. I do want to see Toyota come back with a RWD car but their own, not a joint venture with Suburu. If i wanted a flat four subbie, I would buy won. Secondly, I never want to see the words Celica Supra togther ever again, retro yes, confusing as well.

Back to the issue.

The LF-A would be great if it has similar performance to the race car and not load it up with (too) many luxuries. Also at that price point doesn't it put it next to the R8. Oh well, least their trying.

·
Future Toyota Engineer
156 Posts
AZN: Well, you don't need to be an engineer (you're definitely not) to know that any supercar (or normal car) that gets into an accident is going to cost a lot of money and time in the repair shop to fix.

The amount of force needed to crumple carbon fiber is enough to cause some serious damage to metals too.

If the buyer wants to complain about the high price of repairing carbon fiber, then they'd better buy a slower heavier car.

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2,047 Posts
MAR: I hope you're not the, "Future Toyota Engineer." The LF-A is all carbon fiber which is why it is light. I wonder how much it would cost to fix a carbon fiber bumper after it got torned up in a car accident. Sure it rivals some of it's competition but it's all about who got the greens to pay for it. I wonder how much the brakes gonna cost? Maybe Calvin Cowl would get his hands on one since he got a Veyron. Sorry, but even a Lamborghini Gallardo costs lesser and looks nicer than that. Sooo Saaad. I bet this will only be available in limited quantity only or gotta be on order.
if you can afford a 225 thousand dollar supercar you probably aren't worried about bumper repair or brake changes :lol:

Also this car is not meant to compete with the Gallardo, it's meant to compete with the Murcielago, the Carrera GT, and the other big dogs supercars from the looks of things.

·
Don Julio
72 Posts
hmm i wonder if we were to get the entire weight of TN behind a petition asking toyota for the return of the supra.

I think if we were able to get a fraction of the TN members to sign it, toyota would at the very least know that the enthusiasts are still alive and kicking, unlike their balls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, keep boo-hooing that Lexus made a sports car that costs more than 99% of the people here can afford. That is honestly a good reason to bash the car. While you guys are at it, crucify Chevy for making the 'Vette... After all it doesn't really follow in their foot-steps of cheap shit and most of you here couldn't afford that either.

The new Skyline has so much technology on it that it will probably be so damn expensive to fix/repair/work-on that only the wealthy will be able to afford it. You can't compare the LF-A to the Shitline either; it's on a whole new level. Like I said, 99% of the forum users here won't be able to come close to affording an LF-A, or any supercar for that matter, so stop your whining.

And bravo to Toyota for doing 500hp out a 5L V10. Not that it is a HUGE feat or anything, but a lot of supercars today are using V10 or V12 6+ liter engines for that type of reliable every day horsepower.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Total waste of money. For $225,000 I could get a Viper, GTR and a Z06.
or
Lancer EVO, Lotus Exige, S2000, Lexus LS460 and MazdaSpeed3.
or
11,250 lap dances

·
Banned
293 Posts
You can't compare the LF-A to the Shitline either; it's on a whole new level.
Sour grapes.

Don't bash Nissan because they made a car that can kick the ass of other cars that costs 3 times as much.

It's one thing to be a Toyota fan, it's another to be a foolish fanboy.

Like I said, 99% of the forum users here won't be able to come close to affording an LF-A, or any supercar for that matter, so stop your whining.
And you can?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
20 Participants
Carcrazy1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing