Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I'm on fire this week,

The new Lexus GS 300 gets a beefy upgrade for the up and coming 2006 model year. The GS which will be in it's the third generation will lose the straight inline 2220hp 6 cyl. for a more favorable 3.0 V6 bring it up to 245 horses. The extra power will be greatly needed since for first time in a Lexus car to get AWD (All Wheel Drive), while the Even more powerful GS430 V8 will remain a rear wheel drive vehicle. (Link)

·
There is no substitute.
8,025 Posts
This was announced in this year's detriot autoshow.

I'm sure this baffles you guys aswell that the V6 gets the AWD not the V8.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
EKam said:
This was announced in this year's detriot autoshow.

I'm sure this baffles you guys aswell that the V6 gets the AWD not the V8.
Well it doesn't really baffle me. You figure that people who want the V8 are more performance oriented people so they gave thema more performance oriented setup. You don't get the drivetrain loss of the awd, and most american car guys will prefer that layout(including me). RWD is more fun to fool around with. V6 buyers will probbaly be more conservative so they would love the safety and stability of the AWD.

And yeah, this was announced like 6 months ago.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Talisman18 said:
Well it doesn't really baffle me. You figure that people who want the V8 are more performance oriented people so they gave thema more performance oriented setup. You don't get the drivetrain loss of the awd, and most american car guys will prefer that layout(including me). RWD is more fun to fool around with. V6 buyers will probbaly be more conservative so they would love the safety and stability of the AWD.

And yeah, this was announced like 6 months ago.
Not true what so ever. I am more performance than anything. But I rather have an AWD V6 because it will handle better and is perfect for drift/rally. The thing is V8s are often more power than an AWD needs.

Sure I Love V8s, but I would take AWD over it any day of the week.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Not true what so ever. I am more performance than anything. But I rather have an AWD V6 because it will handle better and is perfect for drift/rally. The thing is V8s are often more power than an AWD needs.

so you'd take one of those AWD Civic wagons from the late 80s, over say, a 1969 Z28 Camaro ..?

loser.......

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:

Who drifts/rallys a lexus sedan? Especially a GS? And rwd is better for drifting anyway. If you want a rally car, I think lexus is probbaly the wrong company to look at. :p:

AWD does not always handle better than a rwd car either. I personally do not like the feel of awd as much as rwd. This is why companies with high performance awd cars put the bias towards the rear wheels. If it was a known fact that awd outhandled awd all the time, then all high po cars would be awd. They both have their advantages and disadvantages however. One thing is for sure, you will never see high hp(300 or more) fwd sports car.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Talisman18 said:
One thing is for sure, you will never see high hp(300 or more) fwd sports car.
True dat! (Not in production at least. I have seen a 400hp Interga that does 12s)

I would rally a Lex. Just like people do with Audi's. Why not? A Cars a car. Might as well have fun with it:D

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
True dat! (Not in production at least. I have seen a 400hp Interga that does 12s)

I would rally a Lex. Just like people do with Audi's. Why not? A Cars a car. Might as well have fun with it:D
I actually think they did rally the IS at some point...

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
i hope it isnt a 3mz, then they'd just be like Nissan, using the same engine in every single fucking car...

i hope it's based off a scaled down 3uz-fe, minus 2 cylinders of course...

of course it'll never happen.:(

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
Talisman18 said:
I actually think they did rally the IS at some point...

yup...

coincidentally, i saw the IS300 rally commercial yesterday, and it hadnt come on for over a year...

can you say "consipracy".?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The engine code is 3GR-FSE. The S stands for D-4 direct fuel injection. It can't be a tuned 3MZ because it's a 3.3L. The GS300 still remains a 3.0L, and this engine is just that. It also has the Lexus cover similar to the V8, 3UZ-FE.

It's rated at 256ps, which is about 245hp right? Well it probably would be if tuned for U.S. pump gas.

Jason

·
Doin' it for the shorties
61 Posts
My guess is that Lexus doesn't have access to a differential that can reliably handle the added power of a V8 without being too big of a burden on performance. Audi, Mitsubishi, and Subaru have done their homework in that area, but Toyota/Lexus doesn't really have too much experience with high hp AWD cars.

Just a guess, but I think it's a possibility.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts