Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be a silly question, but I noticed that in a lot of the car photos they have no license plates and the front bumper has no holes. I just wonder where the plates are actually mounted?

There is a rectangular hole cut out with screw holes in the front bumper of the Aus models, and it looks horrible =(.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
This could be a silly question, but I noticed that in a lot of the car photos they have no license plates and the front bumper has no holes. I just wonder where the plates are actually mounted?

There is a rectangular hole cut out with screw holes in the front bumper of the Aus models, and it looks horrible =(.
Some states in US and some provinces in Canada by law does not require display of front plates.

·
Registered
354 Posts
wait, so there's just a hole in the front?

Just depends where you're from. Some places don't require front license plates, other places do.

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
yes, some cars get sold with drilled holes in the bumper that don't need plates, or they are sold to someone who later moves and doesn't need plates in the new state.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hate front plates.....mine will never make it to the bumper.

Still have a Virgin front bumper with no holes in it.....just a few dimples.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On mine there are two subtle indentations in the bumper. The car came with a licence plate holder and a couple screws. If you move to a jurisdiction that requires a front plate then you drill out the holes and install the holder.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the front license plate support bracket and drilled holes are done as part of "dealer prep", because the plastic is rough on the drilled hole edges and I don't think the factory would do that. That also allows the dealers in the non-required front plate states to leave the front bumper un-drilled.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the front license plate support bracket and drilled holes are done as part of "dealer prep", because the plastic is rough on the drilled hole edges and I don't think the factory would do that. That also allows the dealers in the non-required front plate states to leave the front bumper un-drilled.
it is the dealers that do it. i had my car brought in from bc... i didnt even realise it was coming with the front plate. made me sad.

i know you can get bumper plugs to fill them in, has anyone found nice looking ones in the corolla blue color?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I hate front plates.....mine will never make it to the bumper.

Still have a Virgin front bumper with no holes in it.....just a few dimples.
Ticket for no front plate from DPS is $177.50. Many places in Texas are quite happy to present you with the honor of a ticket.

I don't care for front plates, but I run one for that reason.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ticket for no front plate from DPS is $177.50. Many places in Texas are quite happy to present you with the honor of a ticket.

I'm a transplant from So. Cal and have lived in DFW for 15+ yrs. now and have never had a frt plate on any of my cars or trucks so far.

I have had a few tickets for various things from speeding to Calif stops ( rolling stops ). Even the ticketing officer never wrote me up for not having a plate.:dunno:

Not saying it won't ever happen.....but I'm not gonna put on a late until I have to....and then even after it will come off again.

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
it is the dealers that do it. i had my car brought in from bc... i didnt even realise it was coming with the front plate. made me sad.

i know you can get bumper plugs to fill them in, has anyone found nice looking ones in the corolla blue color?

I just bought a vinyl plug then used the touch up paint and plugged them in. Cost me (if you count the touch up pen) $7.80, $7.50 of that was the pen too! Plugs are dirt cheap at Home Depot/etc

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts

I really wish we didnt have them. I think the car looks so much better without it. But Nhoc_kun doesnt have one and I've never heard of him getting a ticket:confused:

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Not saying it won't ever happen.....but I'm not gonna put on a late until I have to....and then even after it will come off again.
Don't blame you if they don't enforce it there. Down here they will actually stop you for it. It sucks because I'd much rather not have a front plate too.

Cheers

·
Registered
629 Posts
up in cali...they'll pull someone whos younger for no front plate as a reason to pull u over, but they usually only cite u when ur parked or if they got u for something else...i relocated my plate from the bumper...so i have the 2 dimples and the 2 screw holes :headbang:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,789 Posts
I loved it when I lived in New Mexico as no front plate was needed. :thumbsup: I was really upset when I first moved to Washington State & a front plate was required. :headbang: I got 2 fix it tickets before I finally just put it on & left it on. I'm now just used to it & don't think about it much. I just put a TRD plate frame on it & call it good. ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Some people do tape the license plate to the front windshield. I think it's tacky, but whatever.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That looks like an Altus front grill/front end. If so maybe the areas they sell the Altus in may all require front plates, so they molded the front plate bracket in.

In any event I believe the front plate black bracket that hooks around the lower front end edge and is screwed in the front bumper is typical for the US.

If you don't need a front plate, maybe you can put one of those decorative front plates such as one saying Toyota or TRD, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts