Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2007 Avalon a few months ago, and when I went to put my permanent tag on, I found the mounting holes were pretty mangled, and I have no idea how best to fix this. Not wild about the idea of driving around with my plate in my rear window, but I haven't had this happen (I don't think bigger screws are likely to help). Any suggestions? Surely this has happened to someone else, though it's new on me.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Make a little bracket that attaches to the solid material next to the old holes and attach the license plate to the bracket.

·
2011 Avalon Limited
1,079 Posts
Since they are made into the bumper cover you will need to make a strip to bridge the gap and incorporate threaded holes to mount your license plate. Might try some epoxy made for polyurethane if that's what the cover is made of.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Same happened here. I was able to get it on enough that I think it will stay.

·
Registered
2006 TOYOTA AVALON XLS
444 Posts
I got my 2007 Avalon a few months ago, and when I went to put my permanent tag on, I found the mounting holes were pretty mangled, and I have no idea how best to fix this. Not wild about the idea of driving around with my plate in my rear window, but I haven't had this happen (I don't think bigger screws are likely to help). Any suggestions? Surely this has happened to someone else, though it's new on me. View attachment 292679

I would get these: Amazon.com: uxcell 20Pcs Metal Screw U-Type Clips Speed Nuts for Car License Plate: Automotive

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I may grab some of those and epoxy an extra piece of plastic in place this spring/summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the input, everyone. will probably try speed nuts first but as that plastic is somewhat bent I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm not looking to fabricate something to fix this if possible.

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,066 Posts
Buy one of these adapters and 4 ~1/2 inch long stainless sheet metal screws.
Drill 4 holes in the undamaged area of the plastic bumper cover.
Mount the adapter and fasten the license plate to it.
Done.

·
Registered
2006 TOYOTA AVALON XLS
444 Posts
Buy one of these adapters and 4 ~1/2 inch long stainless sheet metal screws.
Drill 4 holes in the undamaged area of the plastic bumper cover.
Mount the adapter and fasten the license plate to it.
Done.

View attachment 294216
Thats a fantastic idea! I think Im going to get this for my front plate. (y)

·
Registered
2011 Avalon Limited
27 Posts
I used that universal mount for my front plate, looks a little nicer than the plate just being screwed into the bumper cover. Just used the factory 10mm bolts in the original holes to mount it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered the speed nuts and a set of screws that will hopefully work. If they don't, I'll try the plate mount.

·
Registered
2006 TOYOTA AVALON XLS
444 Posts
For Toyotas top of the line car Its difficult to understand WHY they dont supply a front plate mount.

·
2011 Avalon Limited
1,079 Posts
For Toyotas top of the line car Its difficult to understand WHY they dont supply a front plate mount.
Maybe they do in states that use two license plates. I live in a one plate state. My 06 Nissan Frontier came with a front bumper license plate mount and I ended up sending it to somebody that needed it that lives in a two plate state.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
You just screw it into the front bumper cover. I am not sure you would WANT a mount. Those get torn off in car washes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at it and decided that I'd try speed nuts first as there wasn't a good space to securely attach a plate mount and a fair amount of the material was still there.

I ordered the set of speed nuts as linked to in Amazon above, and made the mistake of ordering their suggested screws as well (which would almost certainly be just fine for regular plate mounts but were not machine screws as I should have noticed.. heh), so I found a local hardware store with a good reputation for being helpful and found the machine screws I wanted (went with 25x6mm as they didn't need to be especially short). I finally tried to put the plate on today, and it went perfectly! Very secure, no play in the plate from either hole with the speed nuts crimping what is left of the plastic. I think almost any other solution would either be somewhat more invasive/destructive or require a lot more fiddling, which is what I was looking to avoid.

Thanks, folks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts