Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Prius. I have had no problems for 125,000 miles. What is the life expectancy of the hybrid battery? Are there symptoms prior to failure?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
There are too many variables to give an accurate estimate. Taxis in NY go over 300,00, but I've seen little old ladies have a problem in 50,000 when in the heat, parked and left unused for long periods. You are averaging about 12,000/year, which is average. My experience with these cars is the more you drive them the longer the battery lasts.
No, there is usually no real symptom until the light comes on and it's over. Sorry. You may experience that the battery icon in the touch screen drops quickly and doesn't charge back up quickly, or drops significantly with no usage. Otherwise, the car should drive the same until the battery gives up. My '10 has 180,000 with no problems, as does my 06 HiHy with 150,000. I love them both. If you begin to think of going shopping, I highly recommend the 3rd gen. the batteries appear to last longer for some reason and the drive quality is much improved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually take a couple of 1500 +/- mile round trips a year. I'd hate for it to die while I'm away. Is a Prius completely dead when the hybrid battery dies? Can it still be driven using only the gasoline engine?

·
6,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
ukrkoz, I'm not quite sure I buy all I read about reconditioning the hybrid battery. I read the link you supplied, and they do make a good point. If the battery icon drains overnight, or even over the weekend, then I definitely agree the battery is either going or gone. I guess I should restate that for the majority of owners who do not pay much attention to the icon, there is little if any warning until the triangle of death comes on. I have never seen a Toyota hybrid that drained the battery as suggested without immediately setting a code. And in most of the cases I investigated for poor fuel mileage, the 12V battery was the culprit way more than the HV battery ever was, so I would caution anyone against immediately thinking the HV battery is bad just because the mileage is dropping. There are an awful lot of things to cause that. One of the reasons that I am skeptical is that Toyota went to a lot of effort to maintain the battery level between 20% and 80%, and not to allow it to drop below that level. Toyota never "recommends" that the battery occasionally be put through a deep discharge as the article suggests. Another is that I am always skeptical when a site quotes "facts" that appear to be contrary to the manufacturer's published information, especially when quoting those "facts" also promotes whatever product they are selling. Their product may very well work; I don't know. But I know what Toyota says, and the two don't jibe. Also, I looked and there are other sites that say that NiMH batteries don't develop a memory. Who is right? In watching my batteries and those of other cars, the voltage fluctuates a great deal during normal driving, from as low as 14V per block to as high as 18V, even just driving across town... I don't see where a memory could set easily.

And although you are correct, no ICE function = no go, technically the ICE connects to the wheels through the power split device (planetary gear set), not the electric motors.

Have a great one, and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
it seems that i have a major big battery failure of my 2012 prius at 98060 miles. most of previous miles were in phoenix arizona. will confirm soon when i get the prius towed to toyota san bernindino california dealer. i honestly thought the big battery would last longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, engine is coupled to driveaxles via electric motor. Motor has no power, you have no go. No start also.

there is usually no real symptom until the light comes on and it's over.

This is incorrect. there are 3 stages of battery failure. Please, check my sig, in it there are all 3 described here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/1424986-new-tch-owner-faqs-please-read.html

How to know when hybrid battery is failing
Drive axle does not connect to electric motor. They are two separate independent Modes of torque. It’s the psd that connects the combined efforts of ICE and MG2. 🤦*♂

·
Registered
16 Posts
ukrkoz, I'm not quite sure I buy all I read about reconditioning the hybrid battery. I read the link you supplied, and they do make a good point. If the battery icon drains overnight, or even over the weekend, then I definitely agree the battery is either going or gone. I guess I should restate that for the majority of owners who do not pay much attention to the icon, there is little if any warning until the triangle of death comes on. I have never seen a Toyota hybrid that drained the battery as suggested without immediately setting a code. And in most of the cases I investigated for poor fuel mileage, the 12V battery was the culprit way more than the HV battery ever was, so I would caution anyone against immediately thinking the HV battery is bad just because the mileage is dropping. There are an awful lot of things to cause that. One of the reasons that I am skeptical is that Toyota went to a lot of effort to maintain the battery level between 20% and 80%, and not to allow it to drop below that level. Toyota never "recommends" that the battery occasionally be put through a deep discharge as the article suggests. Another is that I am always skeptical when a site quotes "facts" that appear to be contrary to the manufacturer's published information, especially when quoting those "facts" also promotes whatever product they are selling. Their product may very well work; I don't know. But I know what Toyota says, and the two don't jibe. Also, I looked and there are other sites that say that NiMH batteries don't develop a memory. Who is right? In watching my batteries and those of other cars, the voltage fluctuates a great deal during normal driving, from as low as 14V per block to as high as 18V, even just driving across town... I don't see where a memory could set easily.

And although you are correct, no ICE function = no go, technically the ICE connects to the wheels through the power split device (planetary gear set), not the electric motors.

Have a great one, and keep up the good work!
I’m 100% in Agreement with you. The guy commenting above supplying a link thinks he’s a know it all and comes off Cocky 🙄. In post he seems to Dump on Toyota. I don’t understand people like that. Anyways nice come back.

·
7,506 Posts
He is very knowledgeable on the hybrids and has contributed a lot, hence protechs respectful reply. Yes he can rub folks the wrong way, don't we all at some point? As with anything take any advice with a grain of salt and make your own decisions....

·
Registered
16 Posts
He is very knowledgeable on the hybrids and has contributed a lot, hence protechs respectful reply. Yes he can rub folks the wrong way, don't we all at some point? As with anything take any advice with a grain of salt and make your own decisions....
Ok can definitely understand that. Though I question his knowledge in the area of hybrid drive train. But thank you for your reply much appreciated

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most of the battery failures are due to short drives. If a person drives for 5 or 10 minutes then parks the car for the day, it will be a statistic. If your drive is 1/2 hour or more each trip and flat or rolling hills, there should be no issue. Los Angeles now has a ton of Priuses, and I assume Phoenix has some, too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most of the battery failures are due to short drives. If a person drives for 5 or 10 minutes then parks the car for the day, it will be a statistic. If your drive is 1/2 hour or more each trip and flat or rolling hills, there should be no issue. Los Angeles now has a ton of Priuses, and I assume Phoenix has some, too.
What's the basis for that? How do short drives negatively affect batteries in hybrids?

·
Registered
113 Posts
What's the basis for that? How do short drives negatively affect batteries in hybrids?
Q: Why did my battery fail?

A: These batteries thrive when charged and discharged in an ideal environment. Unfortunately, we don’t all do the type of stop-go driving that would insure the maximum life of the battery. Temperature is another factor. extreme heat and cold tend to shorten the life of the battery. These are just a couple of the many factors that cause the nickel in the battery to become less responsive to charging/discharging over time.

I googled "shorten the life of a hybrid battery." In Los Angeles or New York, you are getting nowhere in 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Wenglish, I know this an old post, but I didn't see it originally. I do not claim to know the chemical reason behind the truth of short trips negatively affecting battery life, but I can tell you from experience that I agree completely. When I was at the dealer, any time we had a hybrid come in with a failed battery, most of the time it was used for short trips and failed around 100K miles. Those hybrids that lasted were always the ones that were commuters or traveled respectable distances daily. My car travels about 60 miles a day, which was about what the original owner clocked, and it now has 183,000 on the original battery. So I don't know exactly why, I just know from empirical evidence what the trend seems to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, engine is coupled to driveaxles via electric motor. Motor has no power, you have no go. No start also.

there is usually no real symptom until the light comes on and it's over.

This is incorrect. there are 3 stages of battery failure. Please, check my sig, in it there are all 3 described here:

How to know when hybrid battery is failing
The above link is broken with the website changes. Will you repost with the fixed link?

·
6,216 Posts

Post # 82

1 - 16 of 16 Posts