Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the lifespan of a 2.2 Camry starter? How many miles did you factory starter last?

·
Various Toyotas
4,262 Posts
These OE Toyota/Denso starters are durable products. I have/had four Gen 3/4 Camrys in my family, all driven by my kids and all purchased when they had between 150K -185K miles or so. Never had a problem with these OE Denso starters. If they do go bad, usually it's the starter solenoid contact points that need to be replaced after many miles (not in my family's case), which is a cheap fix.

This is one of those parts that if it does go bad, you would probably get a better used Toyota/Denso starter at a junkyard for 1/3 the money than you would buying a rebuilt starter from the typical chain auto parts stores.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
253 Posts
I've only replaced one once, and I've four 2.2 Camrys, all over 220, one over 318. And the one I replaced was from the only car I purchased from the city (Chicago). Possibly it had been used more often, shorter trips being more common.

·
Registered
317 Posts
27 years and 320,000 on mine so far. I don't know if they start to get weak before failing or just fail suddenly but mine is not giving any indication of any problems.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Probably mileage is not a reliable predictor of starter life. To illustrate, UPS requires their drivers to stop the engine and remove the keys on every stop, then restart when they return to the vehicle. Those starters will require repair at much lower mileage than on a vehicle driven 60 miles between stops. I just replaced one on a Camry with 197K miles that had considerable miles driven between stops.

·
Registered
'98 Camry
268 Posts
22 years and 358,525 miles and counting! And when it does go back it will be a 20 minute job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts