Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading pages and pages on the different lift options. I have narrowed my options down to Toytec's OME 885 (I have a double cab) with OME shocks or Billstein 5100's, both options with the Toytec TSB AAL. I have read a few posts where the OP tried to ask the same question but the thread was soon hijacked by the coilover guys pushing the $1000 coilovers. I know the coilovers are the cat's pajamas but I want to know what is better between the OME setup and the 5100's. The truck will be on the street 90% of the time thus why I don't want to spend $1000 on coilovers but I want a better setup than spacers.

OME Pro - I like that it's a full 3" of lift with the Toytec package
OME Con - Some guys say the ride is too stiff

5100 Pro - Less expensive
5100 Con - Also stiff when set at 2.5"

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I would go with the 5100's. They are really the most affordable way to lift your truck without doing spacers, which it sounds like are out of the picture for you. Once you have the 5100's you can always upgrade to better coils at a later date also if you choose.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
90% street? 5100s :thumbsup:

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
x3 Billies all the way around! I have had mine for over a week and love the setup! 90% of my driving is highway but it will see some off-road when I go to the river like I do in the summer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just installed my 5100s on my prerunner last weekend. Love them compared to the stock ones. I have the tsb done and i set the front at 1.75. Perfect!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I was leaning towards the OME 3" setup so I'm happy to have some opposition to make the right decision.
90% street? 5100s :thumbsup:
mjanags32, how do you like your OME setup? What is your reason for recommending the 5100's?

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
With a bit of trimming yes you can probably fit 285's. If you don't want to trim at all i think they would rub while fully turning or offroading.

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
mjanags32, how do you like your OME setup? What is your reason for recommending the 5100's?
well, u said 90% street. not saying that the 5100s aren't good off road, bc I know a bunch of people that wheel with them, its just that if you aren't gonna off road much, might as well get the 5100s. plus the full OME set up is ~$500 more

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, u said 90% street. not saying that the 5100s aren't good off road, bc I know a bunch of people that wheel with them, its just that if you aren't gonna off road much, might as well get the 5100s. plus the full OME set up is ~$500 more
Thanks, The OME setup is still in my budget so I am curious as to how it balances on/off road as far as comfort or if its stiff and mostly for hardcore offroad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts