Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
09 Acc. Cab Off Rd.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! This is my first time posting on here so please bear with me. I am sure this has been covered but I was hoping to get some advice from someone with an 09, or if there is no difference between 09 and other year models, then lay the advice on me. I have an 09 access cab TRD 4x4 6-spd. What lift, wheels, backspacing, width of wheels and uca's do I need to clear a set of 285's with no trimming to the truck? I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC Sport
504 Posts
:welcome:

With 285's you HAVE to do some minor trimming if you want to go with a 3" lift which I am assuming you want to do.

·
Registered
09 Acc. Cab Off Rd.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome, I am glad to be here. When you say minor trimming, where do I have to trim? What is tha biggest tire I can put on with a 3" lift?

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
welcome to TN!

Did you try and do a search? You'll find tons of information on this subject.

You can also check out my link in my sig under the picture of my truck. I have pictures of the fender trim I had to do for 285"

Good Luck!

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
:welcome: to TN, i was new here a few months ago and searching is what i was told to do too. you can find a lot of answers but ill help you out as much as i can

i have moto metal 951 wheels 17x9 with 4.5" backspacing and 285/70/17 wheels on a 3" lift. tires do not rub on the control arms at all with that backspacing. my stock wheels had a 5.5" backspacing i believe and they rubbed on the upper control arms. i did have to trim on the inner fender wells.

toku is the man about lifts and alignments. but if you want some aftermarket control arms i'd recommend total chaos or light racing. if you are going to be taking the taco off road i'd lean toward total chaos. but if its just daily driving and minor off roading, go light racing. the biggest tire you can clear with a 3" lift would probably be 285's. i dont think you can get too much bigger than that.

·
Registered
09 Acc. Cab Off Rd.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:welcome: to TN, i was new here a few months ago and searching is what i was told to do too. you can find a lot of answers but ill help you out as much as i can

i have moto metal 951 wheels 17x9 with 4.5" backspacing and 285/70/17 wheels on a 3" lift. tires do not rub on the control arms at all with that backspacing. my stock wheels had a 5.5" backspacing i believe and they rubbed on the upper control arms. i did have to trim on the inner fender wells.

toku is the man about lifts and alignments. but if you want some aftermarket control arms i'd recommend total chaos or light racing. if you are going to be taking the taco off road i'd lean toward total chaos. but if its just daily driving and minor off roading, go light racing. the biggest tire you can clear with a 3" lift would probably be 285's. i dont think you can get too much bigger than that.
Thanks man. I appreciate the help. I was wondering if there is a size between stock and the 285's that would fit without trimming. Am trying to research as much as possible before I make a prchase. Don't want to wish later on I had went in a different direction.

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
stock tacoma's run a 265 tire right? there's a 275 tire but i'm not too knowledgable on them. best bet is to go to tirerack.com and search their tire sizes and see what you like.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
welcome to TN!

Did you try and do a search? You'll find tons of information on this subject.

You can also check out my link in my sig under the picture of my truck. I have pictures of the fender trim I had to do for 285"

Good Luck!
+1

Thanks for all the help guys. That isn't much to have to trim. What backspacing do you run?
Did you search? :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts