Toyota Nation Forum banner

Liftgate on 2017 Highlander Won't Open

237 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Mikee1
The automatic liftgate on my 2017 Highlander suddenly stopped working and I couldn't figure out why. I thought there might be something wrong with the door glass in the liftgate and that perhaps the sensor wasn't indicating it was closed, which would keep the liftgate from opening or closing; but after checking it closely, that didn't appear to be the problem. I also tried resetting the liftgate height, but that also wasn't the problem.

Then I found a post on this site that revealed there is a power button for the liftgate inside the door of the glove box. Huh? What the heck is that for and why is it located there. That seems very random. But I suddenly remembered that I started having the liftgate problem right around the time I removed the glove box to replace my cabin air filter, so I ran out to my Highlander and discovered the liftgate power button behind the glove box door wasn't depressed. I pushed the power switch and voila, my automatic liftgate started working again. I can only assume I must have inadvertently pressed the liftgate power button when I was changing the cabin air filter.

Took me a couple days to figure it out but I'm glad I did before taking it to a Toyota dealer and paying an arm and a leg to have them "check it out."
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Good point, Mike, sounds like something I'd do since I'm so absent minded. Technically I think that the manual calls the "valet override switch." That's he first thing I thought may be Bill's problem ig he accidentally flipped that switch. It also allows you to disable the hatch when valet parking to better protect any valuables you may in the cargo area. Of course you have to remember to lock the glove box with the key that slides out of the key fob and take that with you.

Registered
2017 Highlander XLE
That button is actually a very useful feature, if you have something attached to the rear of the car like a bike rack for instance. Stops you crashing the hatch into whatever it is you're carrying. Of course if you've got a head like mine the problem is remembering to press the button once you've loaded up.馃槈
This is exactly why I like the button.

Registered
That button is actually a very useful feature, if you have something attached to the rear of the car like a bike rack for instance. Stops you crashing the hatch into whatever it is you're carrying. Of course if you've got a head like mine the problem is remembering to press the button once you've loaded up.[emoji6]
I actually have accidentally opened the back hatch while having the bike rack on. Luckily it opened so slowly that it stopped when it sensed something was in the way and stopped. No damage to the door or rack.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I actually have accidentally opened the back hatch while having the bike rack on. Luckily it opened so slowly that it stopped when it sensed something was in the way and stopped. No damage to the door or rack.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
That's good to know. We're traveling with our bikes on the back soon and I know at some point I'll forget to press that button.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts