Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it wrong for me to lift my TRD Prerunner w/locker, eventhough its not a 4x4? Does that make me a poser, like the dude that puts VTEC stickers on his Ford?

·
Tacoholic
343 Posts
Considering that 99 % of all lifts and big tires are put on truck mainly for looks, I wouldn't even consider if it's a 4x4.

·
Registered
06 V6 DC TRD Sport
259 Posts
I have a Prerunner too and have condidered this as well. But I cant find any justification to lift the truck for my needs. Plus with a 5 foot tall wife she really doesnt want to use a Tramp to get in the truck :D . I think it would look very good with the lift and bigger tires as well but Like I said the rational side of me cant spend the money just yet :ugh3: .

·
SUBLMNL
05 JEEP TJ
159 Posts
just having a locker in th rear can allow you to go through some of the same terrain (and more) as a 4x4 with out getting stuck using proper driving skills.
not everyone needs 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
232 Posts
I say leave it stock and save the money. I have learned that when resale time comes buyers want to purchase a used vehicle that has been unmolested with aftermarket non OEM parts like lift kits, air intakes, exhausts, etc. A car/truck is a depreciating asset anyway, and pouring thousands of doallars into aftermarket parts and accessories is money that you will never get a "return" on when selling.

Offering a 2WD "PreRunner" Off-Road model with a locking rear differential was pure marketing genius by Toyota. Easier and lower maintenance costs, 4WD stance, lower point of entry price for youger buyers, locking rear differential that you can lock ONLY when you need it, and lower insurance premiums are the main benefits. Buyers like me who don't live in snow country but enjoy skiing at Mammoth Mountain and the local ski resorts don't need the more expensive 4WD model, but we love having a locking differential when we need it.

·
SUBLMNL
05 JEEP TJ
159 Posts
DaleD said:
Please do explain the (And more) part?:confused: :confused:
i am refering to a 4x4 with no lockers at all versus a locked 2wd if you have a 4x4 and neither is locked in a way when you are in 4 wheel drive you only have a two wheel drive, because 1 front and 1 back will put power to the ground.

·
Registered
164 Posts
if you plan to keep the truck, i think any upgrade especially to the suspension isnt "poser" not everyone has the means of getting a 4x4 but more ground clearance is always nice. im 21 and have a sorry ass job so most of my money goes to school and the truck. there would be no way of me affording a 4x4 now but lifting my truck gives me more capability than leaving it stock. i dont see how that is "poser"

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
MINI2NUT said:
Offering a 2WD "PreRunner" Off-Road model with a locking rear differential was pure marketing genius by Toyota. Easier and lower maintenance costs, 4WD stance, lower point of entry price for youger buyers, locking rear differential that you can lock ONLY when you need it, and lower insurance premiums are the main benefits. Buyers like me who don't live in snow country but enjoy skiing at Mammoth Mountain and the local ski resorts don't need the more expensive 4WD model, but we love having a locking differential when we need it.
I agree 100%. If I lived down south and didn't do much 4x4ing, a PreRunner would be ideal; no need to have a 4x4 if you aren't going to use it. But since I like to get down and dirty in mud, and we get some nasty ice/snow storms, I opted for the 4x4.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts