Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 Camry 4 cyl. around 60,000 miles on odometer and for around 3 months the engine seems to have gotten louder while at idle. :( At the back of the engine around the plastic intake manifold area the engine is making a light banging / tapping noise. It never made this noise before. :confused: The engine idles fine and the car drives normally. I always keep an eye on the fluid levels and they are up to par. I'm not sure what is going on and if I should just keep an eye on it. I have provided a link below to a video of the noise. The noise can be heard best starting around 15 seconds into the video and fades away around 26 seconds into the video. What do you think could be going on here. Thanks in advance for any help. joet/camry

http://s126.beta.photobucket.com/user/JOET1966/media/VIDEO0005-0_zpsaa1af77e.mp4.html

·
Registered
932 Posts
Something in the variable valve timing gears or maybe too much valve lash due to worn lifters? Worn chain and/or camshaft gears? Twenty four valves that average .010 lash can make a lot of clatter but that sounds like gears or chain. Regards

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something in the variable valve timing gears or maybe too much valve lash due to worn lifters? Worn chain and/or camshaft gears? Twenty four valves that average .010 lash can make a lot of clatter but that sounds like gears or chain. Regards

It's hard to believe that an engine that has only 61,000 miles on it can have that much wear and tear. :whatthe: I am the second owner of the car. My Dad bought the car brand new and took it to toyota dealership for regular maintenence and he drove the car easy. I have owned the car for a little over a year now and do regular oil changes with the proper grade ((5w30) oil. I drive the car easy and don't race the engine. Not sure what to do. Just keep a close eye on it? :dunno:

joet/camry

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone else have any idea what could be the problem? :help: Should I just keep an eye on the engine and see what happens? There is no check engine light and the engine runs the same as it always did. :confused: Like I said the car has only 61,000 miles and has not been abused by me or my dad. What would you do in my situation? Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :thumbsup:

joet/camry

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
I can't offer a clue to the cause of the noise but I do know that different brands/formulations of oil, even in the same 5w-30 range, will reduce engine noise.

What oil brands have you tried?

·
Registered
06 camry se
417 Posts
it sounds like a diesel lol

when you had the camera over the air box i heard a ticking sound, thats the VSV valve thats attatched to the airbox and has a hose going to the throttle body...... mine makes the same noise when the engine is idling low like when the A/C compressor is engaged and ive never had a problem

one thing you can check is the PCV valve...... i replaced mine as maintenece with an aftermarket one and it made a high pitched buzzing noise...... i couldnt figure out what it was so i ended up paying 1/2 hour of labor at the dealer and it was the stupid PCV valve...... they of course wanted $30 in labor to turn a wrench but i did get the oem part from them which was only $6 at the time

its located at the top of the valve cover on the left side below the engine cover

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't offer a clue to the cause of the noise but I do know that different brands/formulations of oil, even in the same 5w-30 range, will reduce engine noise.

What oil brands have you tried?
I use the Super Tech brand 5 quart jug. :D It is sold in Walmart. I had been using it for years in my 1989 Camry and in my current car. I was told one of the major oil companys make it. I don't believe it is the cause of my engine noise. Here is a pic of the container.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fatngs;4623929]it sounds like a diesel lol
Yea, I know. :facepalm:

when you had the camera over the air box i heard a ticking sound, thats the VSV valve thats attatched to the airbox and has a hose going to the throttle body...... mine makes the same noise when the engine is idling low like when the A/C compressor is engaged and ive never had a problem
I remember hearing that ticking noise you are describing. Yes, this high pitched ticking noise is normal.

one thing you can check is the PCV valve...... i replaced mine as maintenece with an aftermarket one and it made a high pitched buzzing noise...... i couldnt figure out what it was so i ended up paying 1/2 hour of labor at the dealer and it was the stupid PCV valve...... they of course wanted $30 in labor to turn a wrench but i did get the oem part from them which was only $6 at the time

its located at the top of the valve cover on the left side below the engine cover
The pcv valve was cleaned around 3-4 month ago by me. It didn't look that dirty at all. The ball in it was rattling away. Thanks for the reply.

joet/camry

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
I use the Super Tech brand 5 quart jug. :D It is sold in Walmart. I had been using it for years in my 1989 Camry and in my current car. I was told one of the major oil companys make it. I don't believe it is the cause of my engine noise. Here is a pic of the container.

I didn't say or suggest that oil CAUSES noise...but that it has been reported that some formulations REDUCE noise and that those engines run more smoothly with different oils....that different engines perform better with different oils.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't say or suggest that oil CAUSES noise...but that it has been reported that some formulations REDUCE noise and that those engines run more smoothly with different oils....that different engines perform better with different oils.
Bad choice of words on my part. My apologies. :chug: You are right when you say that higher quality oils (such as synthetic) probrally would allow the engine to run smoother and quieter. For me basic dino oil is good enough for my 2003 Camry.

joet/camry

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
Bad choice of words on my part. My apologies. :chug: You are right when you say that higher quality oils (such as synthetic) probrally would allow the engine to run smoother and quieter. For me basic dino oil is good enough for my 2003 Camry.

joet/camry
No apologies needed....just let me be clear.

I didn't specifiy "higher quality oils" either....I simply said that some people find that one oil performs better than another in their engine....all engines are different.

...it just so happens that as part of a general tuneup, Pennzoil Platinum (PP) synthetic works better than conventional Pennzoil (yellow bottle) in MY case.

Your engine may perform better than 'good enough' (quieter, smoother, less consumption/burn off) with another oil, whether conventional or synthetic, or a blend, as others have learned through various trial and error experiences....oil is cheap enough to "put to the test" at different OCs (with current rebates out there, I just got 2 OCs with PP + K&N filter for $5 each)....

·
jbleeg
96 Camry
5 Posts
That's LOUD. They make these Stetiscope tools you can pick up at Harbor Freight or a auto supply place. Get one and probe around to figure where the sound is coming from. It sounds louder in the back (intake) side of the motor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-41966.html
I have heard of this particular engine having a part of the oil baffle break off inside the valve cover. Remove the oil cap and look to see if you still have the bar or baffle directly under the oil cap. If that broke loose you'd want to pull the cover and get it out before it fouls valves or the timing gear. Google camry oil baffle or engine failure in youtube to watch a video of what I'd talking about

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you find your issue? I have read that there is a problem on some cars with the intake manifold itself. There is a baffle inside the manifold which is glued in place and over time can losen and rattle. The main fix is a new intake manifold but they are $200+. This guy used a couple of screws to secure his (It also has a pic of the baffle in question) and I read on anther forum of a guy who cut a hole in his manifold and re-glued the baffle back in place with JB weld. He then used toothpicks to fill in the gaps for the piece he cut out of the manifold and used JB weld to glue it back in place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you find your issue? I have read that there is a problem on some cars with the intake manifold itself. There is a baffle inside the manifold which is glued in place and over time can losen and rattle. The main fix is a new intake manifold but they are $200+. This guy used a couple of screws to secure his (It also has a pic of the baffle in question) and I read on anther forum of a guy who cut a hole in his manifold and re-glued the baffle back in place with JB weld. He then used toothpicks to fill in the gaps for the piece he cut out of the manifold and used JB weld to glue it back in place.
Thanks for asking. I have not tried to find out where the noise is coming from. It sounds like it is a loose exhaust part or like you said a loose baffle. When I rev the engine I can hear something rattling/buzzing for like 1 second. Will hopefully get a chance soon to check out the the car and will do an update to the thread. The car runs fine even with the noise.

joet/camry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found your video interesting. I noticed the tapping noise seemed to come from the front as well. ie, the camera stopped there on the way back. The reason I found it interesting is that the 2005 2AZFE engine I bought remanufactured and replaced the old 2007 2AZFE engine is making a similar noise. Hard to tell from the video but that rear noise might be transference from the area of the chain tensioner and timing oil control valve.
When I first started the remfg engine i got a lounder but similiar noise. Which set of the MIL with a PO328, knock sensor. btw seems the only function of the knock sensor is to retard the timing when a knock is detected. After much trial and error I've come to the conclusion that in my case it's the Oil Control Valve, whose job it is to retard and/or advance the timing, hence vvt-i
Not saying this is the noise you are hearing. But after listening to something similiar for the past 600 miles I was surprised at how much alike they sound. Seems like at 61k you shouldn't have to worry about and OCV, but u never know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clarification: Knock Sensor tells the computer there is a knock and the computer instructs the OCV to retard the timing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts