Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Getting some light grinding noise when starting from cold. The noise seems to be coming from the alternator as it is high up so I am thinking maybe the alternator pulley, once the car is warm the grinding goes away. Any thoughts? I already checked oil and there is still plenty above max, I could change it to 5W20 but Winter is coming so I rather stick with 0W20.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Stethoscope it, or long ass screwdriver to the ear. Take off the belt, splin it cold. Doubt it would make a difference but load it with your rear defrost and take note. Sure it's not your ac, comes on automatically when in front windshield defrost.

Best

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to see if I could record any sound but no noise. I turned on the AC and there was no noise from that either. I may need to wait for it to get worse to find it. It's just a light grinding noise that goes away after warm. Any and all ideas is appreciated and if no one can see my signature, it's the 2AZ.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I am experiencing a familiar issue on my 07 SE. Is this the same sound you are having? I suspect the alternator pulley, or the tensioner. I just never heard bad alternators grind before, only whir.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am experiencing a familiar issue on my 07 SE. Is this the same sound you are having? I suspect the alternator pulley, or the tensioner. I just never heard bad alternators grind before, only whir.
Mine is a lot quieter than that, just a very light "skim" grinding sound at start up for however long it takes since by the time I get to my destination the sound is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts