Toyota Nation Forum banner

lights and dashcam - 2022 Corolla

2385 Views 34 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  stingray427
I want to replace the interior lighbulbs with something brighter.
I was thinking that LED lights would be brighter.
I went online and I found several brands for our car but is one any better than another?
I intend to replace the interior lights around the rear view mirror and thought that it would be a good idea to replace the one in the engine bay and elsewhere.
Is there a guide that tells us which sizes fit in different areas ?
Any suggestions?

-------

I want a dashcam, preferably one that covers the front and rear.
I went online and they have two different dashcams for all the toyota cars, except the corolla.
I called the dealer and he said that there might be some in 2023.
If I bought a dashcam that is designed for the Camry or 4Runner etc.... do you think it would fit our car?
I asked the parts guy and he did not know but suggested waiting.
I know there are several after market alternatives, but I prefer OEM, because they were designed specifically for the car, and I think there would be fewer issues with compatibility and it would look more attractive.
And ideas?

------

Thanks
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2021 Corolla Apex XSE
541 Posts
I have this cam. Looks and works excellent. They have front and rear option and looks OEM:

· Registered
18 Posts
I have this cam. Looks and works excellent. They have front and rear option and looks OEM:
I have this same dashcam, I had some issues where it would not override the files and will stop recording, but I was able to reach out their customer service and after updating the software a couple of times, it seems to be working fine now.

What I like is that looks fully integrated with the car. I got the front and rear package.

· Registered
23 Posts
For lighting, I'd check superbrightleds.com, I swapped all interior and exterior bulbs in my old Accord and the product lives up to the name.

For OEM look dashcam, I'd check out FitCam. I don't like that it requires an app to change settings, but I was able to set it up the way I want and uninstall the app. Now I can easily extract the footage from the micro SD without the app at all. Captures good quality video too. They have an option with a rear camera as well.

Edit: Finding out which bulb you need is a little trickier. I searched online by individual bulb to find what the standard replacement was, then I found compatible LEDs on the aforementioned website.

· Registered
2020 Corolla Hatchback
15 Posts
I have the BlackVue LTE dash cam front and back, this version allows you to connect via the cloud and watch your car live through the app and you'll get notifications if something happens to your car, this series is compatible with all vehicles and I highly recommend BlackVue but the price may be steep you never mentioned your budget but you do get what you pay for. BTW to hookup in the car 3 options, hardwired to the fuse box, OBD port or 12V port. Also I never heard of OEM dash cams made by Toyota or any other car manufacturer.

· Registered
183 Posts
I want to replace the interior lighbulbs with something brighter.
I was thinking that LED lights would be brighter.
I went online and I found several brands for our car but is one any better than another?
I intend to replace the interior lights around the rear view mirror and thought that it would be a good idea to replace the one in the engine bay and elsewhere.
Is there a guide that tells us which sizes fit in different areas ?
Any suggestions?

-------

I want a dashcam, preferably one that covers the front and rear.
I went online and they have two different dashcams for all the toyota cars, except the corolla.
I called the dealer and he said that there might be some in 2023.
If I bought a dashcam that is designed for the Camry or 4Runner etc.... do you think it would fit our car?
I asked the parts guy and he did not know but suggested waiting.
I know there are several after market alternatives, but I prefer OEM, because they were designed specifically for the car, and I think there would be fewer issues with compatibility and it would look more attractive.
And ideas?

------

Thanks
There are too many aftermarket dash cams available that would be better than whatever Toyota has to offer. Price ranges are from under $100 to over $800. That's alot of choices.
LED lights will usually correspond with whatever the factory lights numbers are. I think on the Corolla didn't they offer a LED interior light package from the factory?

· Registered
46 Posts
I had a tough time finding the correct bulb for the dome light. The OEM bulb has small "pins" on the ends that snap into the holes in the fixture, whereas the correct length sized festoon bulbs don't have this feature and are more rounded off so they don't snap in. I have a bulb jammed in there now and it works, but its not correctly mounted.

· Registered
183 Posts
I got 2 of these Chorteau dashcams since I liked the first Chorteau dashcam so much I got a second Chorteau as a back up when they were $44.95 each about 2 years ago. (At least this product is still available)
I won my civil case against someone that did hit me using this dashcam. Simple operation using just an SD Card. 😁 I was also considering a higher end dashcam or a Black Vue after using the Chorteau but the price on that Black Vue dashcam is 🤑 and alot more complicated than the Chorteau which is so easy to install and use.

· Registered
2021 4Runner TRD ORP, 2022 Corolla Hatchback SE 6 Speed
2 Posts
You don't need a dashcam built specifically for your car. I use a Viofo A119
I had one of those a few years ago. Now I run the A129 Duo (not the pro or anything), and it's been great. Great upgrades over the A119 like wifi, HD front and rear, and capacitors instead of batteries.

Reactions: Dallascowboysfan

· Registered
2022 Toyota Corolla SE ( J code ) Celestite Gray
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are too many aftermarket dash cams available that would be better than whatever Toyota has to offer. Price ranges are from under $100 to over $800. That's alot of choices.
LED lights will usually correspond with whatever the factory lights numbers are. I think on the Corolla didn't they offer a LED interior light package from the factory?

I don't know, I bought it off the lot.
There was a car shortage last winter and I needed a new car.
They didn't have any RAV4's so I bought what was available.
But....I am happy with it so far. It's my third Corolla.

I just want brighter lights inside.
And I did not know if the lightbulbs were standard or specific to each car.
I went online and found several different brands and price points and I wonder if there is any major difference between them

Thanks

I got 2 of these Chorteau dashcams since I liked the first Chorteau dashcam so much I got a second Chorteau as a back up when they were $44.95 each about 2 years ago. (At least this product is still available)
I won my civil case against someone that did hit me using this dashcam. Simple operation using just an SD Card. 😁 I was also considering a higher end dashcam or a Black Vue after using the Chorteau but the price on that Black Vue dashcam is 🤑 and alot more complicated than the Chorteau which is so easy to install and use.

That looks like a good cam.
I searched more on Amazon and found a dashcam that doubles as a radar detector.
But, it was 600 bucks so I'll scale down to something more practical.

If I hardwire the dascam to my car, I guess it won't run down the battery?
Otherwise, do they use lithium batteries, hearing aid batteries?

Dashcams should be standard equipment.

I bought my Corolla in February and in August I was minding my own business , at a stop light, waiting for it to change ,and an uninsured driver (driving a Camry) rear ended a Highlander and he hit me. I wished I had a rear view dashcam to record the accident. The lady in the Camry gave the police her insurance information and when I called them to file a claim, they told me her insurance had lapsed in July .........grrrr. So I had to pay my 500 dollar deductible to get my car repaired. It cost 4500 to repair and repaint the rear end, and another 700 for a rental car for two weeks.

That woman caused me a lot of grief.

And last week.....I hope I explain this well.........I was sitting at a stop light waiting to turn left. The light turned and someone was coming from the opposite direction in the middle lane. They swerved to the left, to the turn lane, accelerated real quick to get around the car in front of them, (at an intersection) and headed straight for me. They swerved back to the right, bounced off the median and barely missed the car they passed.

And they did this within the average distance of an intersection.

They were so close to me, I actually threw myself back in my seat to avoid them. It was a natural reaction I guess. I thought for sure they were going to hit me head on. I have never seen any one do that, they must have a low IQ.

Anyhow, I think it is time for a dashcam.
Dashcams are not that expensive, and if an OEM provided them in a car, they would be cheaper for them, than for us.
Safety should be standard, comfort and conveniences should be optional.

I have a few ideas for a dashcam and I have them in my favorite list in Amazon.
I am going to wait until Black Friday or the following Monday, Cyber Monday and see what is available.
Everthing else is on sale, maybe I can find a dashcam as well.

· Registered
52 Posts
I am going to wait until Black Friday or the following Monday, Cyber Monday and see what is available.
+1 for getting a Viofo camera, pretty much the go to budget friendly camera for your car, and there usually are sales for it on Black Friday. You can get the Dual Camera for front and back, but I myself only have the forward facing one. Adjusting settings is pretty intuitive on the little camera so you can choose resolution, loop video lengths, etc.

Hardwiring is pretty easy if you know how to route wires and fuse tap, definitely tap into a fuse that is only on when the car is on so you don't drain the battery (i.e. wiper motor, reverse light, etc.). This guy has a good video on hardwiring your camera (and has a sick mustache):

The last thing I want to say is that for your sake, don't get the FitcamX. I had multiple issues with it resetting it's date to January 2019, the resolution was terrible and adjusting settings was not intuitive. Customer service was helpful (or at least they tried) but for what I paid I was not satisfied with every issue it presented me. That and the app was pretty bad and buggy too, the hardware for the Fitcam and the associated app are not by any means high quality. It's a very easy install but at that price point you are better off getting something else that is more intuitive to use/manage/maintain.

· Registered
52 Posts

I went online and found several different brands and price points and I wonder if there is any major difference between them

Thanks
Rock auto has the light bulbs organized pretty well on their website, should be easy enough to find what you need. Shipping is hit or miss depending on where you live: 2022 TOYOTA COROLLA 2.0L L4 Electrical-Bulb & Socket Parts | RockAuto

I have the phillips LEDs myself and they all have lasted 1.5 years thus far. A friend of mine got cheap ones off of Amazon and some LEDs have already died on him. I'm sure there are reputable brands on Amazon, but just be wary of the ultra cheap ones.

· Registered
151 Posts
+1 for getting a Viofo camera, pretty much the go to budget friendly camera for your car, and there usually are sales for it on Black Friday. You can get the Dual Camera for front and back, but I myself only have the forward facing one. Adjusting settings is pretty intuitive on the little camera so you can choose resolution, loop video lengths, etc.

Hardwiring is pretty easy if you know how to route wires and fuse tap, definitely tap into a fuse that is only on when the car is on so you don't drain the battery (i.e. wiper motor, reverse light, etc.).
Yeah definitely get the hardwire kit, model number HK3 (also from Viofo). One of the wires gets tapped into an always-on fuse so you can use parking mode - recording the flippant stuff people do while you're away from the vehicle is half the battle imo. It has a failsafe that cuts power to the camera if the battery charge gets too low. My Corolla (<1 year old battery according to maintenance records) lasts at least a full 24 hours parked before the camera has to shut off.

Also, consider soldering the hardwire kit to the fuse taps instead of using the weird crimp things. It's worth the bit of extra effort since this is an install you'll want to last the lifetime of the car, or at least until you get rid of it.

Last but not least: remove the A-pillar trim to carefully route the wire behind the airbag. Otherwise, if that airbag goes off, the remaining shreds of the cable are going to hit your face at mach speed. I'm pretty sure mustache guy goes over that in the video.

· Registered
183 Posts
Rock auto has the light bulbs organized pretty well on their website, should be easy enough to find what you need. Shipping is hit or miss depending on where you live: 2022 TOYOTA COROLLA 2.0L L4 Electrical-Bulb & Socket Parts | RockAuto

I have the phillips LEDs myself and they all have lasted 1.5 years thus far. A friend of mine got cheap ones off of Amazon and some LEDs have already died on him. I'm sure there are reputable brands on Amazon, but just be wary of the ultra cheap ones.
You can also try Superbright LED (you will have to google it as I don't have their website anymore as I have bought from them in the past.) I would avoid Amazon for this kind of stuff and go with the major brands.

Make sure you get a dashcam with a rear external camera.

Thanks
You want brighter interior lights or brighter headlights?

· Registered
'09 Venza V6 AWD - '86.5 Supra 2JZ-GE
84 Posts
I have had good luck with superbrightleds.com. Mostly brake/rear running lights and backup lights for my car and wife's and daughters' cars. The backup lights are substantially better than the incandescents from the factory, regardless of car make (1 Dodge, 1 Honda, 1 Acura, 2 Toyotas, 1 Jeep).

· Registered
26 Posts
... dashcam that is designed for the Camry or 4Runner etc.... do you think it would fit our car?
It should be pretty easy to check if your car has the plug for the Toyota Integrated dashcam. I wrote up an instructable about using that plug to wire up your own third-party dashcam, here: Hardwired Front and Rear Dashcam for 2021-2022 Toyota Vehicles With - look at step 2 to see how to find the plug, if you have it. However, you should also consider that the Toyota model is front only, and is not as high resolution as many other models on the market today.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts