Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waxed for the very first time...

Today I decided it was time for Spring Cleaning. I headed out the driveway and washed the Taco. The previous owner NEVER waxed the vehicle. So as you can guess the paint was dry and rough. Washed it real good and put down some high quality wax. Truck looks better (placebo?) and the paint feels a lot nicer. Its gonna need several more coats to get it where I like it (smooth and glossy).

Pic time.
Side:
Before:

After:

Front.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks great. Nothing like tlc to bring out the best. Nice looking tacoma.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
I washed and waxed mine this past Sunday. I picked it up the Thursday before. The paint didn't feel as smooth as I felt a new cars paint should feel. :shrugs:

Anyway, what does the clay bar do exactly? I'm thinking I want to try it the next time I do mine but have never really been 100% clear on what it does.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I washed and waxed mine this past Sunday. I picked it up the Thursday before. The paint didn't feel as smooth as I felt a new cars paint should feel. :shrugs:

Anyway, what does the clay bar do exactly? I'm thinking I want to try it the next time I do mine but have never really been 100% clear on what it does.
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=14

I follow up with a coat of Klasse AIO and then 2 coats Klasse Sealant.

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts

Clay baring takes out all the imperfections in your paint and makes it smooth as butter!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah what exactly is the clay bar? Never done that. Sounds like I need to though.
Clay bar is the best; cleans up the paint from things that a wash even a good wash wont get, after the clay bar the paint is so so smooth and ready for polish and wax.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Clay bar is great! Ultima Elastafoam is pretty good too. Do it before you polish, then protect your polish job with wax or try Ultima Sealant.

While I was buying my Tacoma, the salesman stroked the paint on a fender and asked me to do the same to feel how smooth the new paint was. Only problem, it felt like a year old truck. There was junk and grime already on the brand new truck.

I have a Porter Cable buffer and pads and stuff, but on this truck, I thought that I would try the Ultima system. The elastofoam and lube worked almost as well as a claybar. The polish was easy to use, but didn't seem like it did as much as the power buffer. The Ultima Sealant kicks a$$!!! It goes on as if you were spray detailing the truck and you don't have to wipe it off. It seems to look best after about 3 coats, but it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to put on another coat - after washing.

Usually, after washing, I would go back around one last time with a microfiber to spray detail the last of the water spots. Now, I go over the truck with the sealant. Remember, you don't have to buff it off.

Regarding the clay bar, if you haven't ever tried it, give it a shot. Really, use it once and you will be a believer!!! Once you use clay bar, when you touch your paint, you won't feel anything but slippery. You do have to polish and seal afterwards, but it will be worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.