Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm the proud "new" owner of a 2003 Tacoma Xtra-Cab SR5 TRD 4X4 V6. All the reviews rave about Toyota's reliability, but right now I'm more interested in the truck's useability. Case in point is the vehicle's lack of a limited-slip rear differential. Oh...sure...the TRD has a locking rear differential, but be honest...when was the last time you had to lock your rear end? On the other hand...when did you last make a right-hand turn while accelerating to merge with traffic, only to find the right rear wheel spinning like a drunk on a carousel? I'd gladly exchange my locking diff. for a limited-slip version.

So....does/did Toyota make a limited-slip rear differential for Tacoma 4X4s that can bolt on to the rear axel of this vehicle, in place of the locking model? What about the Prerunner? Did the Prerunner offer a limited-slip option? If Toyota doesn't have a limited-slip differential, is there an after-market limited-slip rear differential that you'd recommend????

I love this truck, but a little less than I thought I would.

Cheers,
TacoKroozr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your valuable input...

Responses such as yours are really not what online forums are all about. Please don't bother again, I will not read your words. And...no...I did not know that the fancy locking diff. TRD was incapable of limited-slip operation.

For you others out there, I'd like to hear from you.

TacoKroozr

·
Registered
905 Posts
Responses such as yours are really not what online forums are all about. Please don't bother again, I will not read your words. And...no...I did not know that the fancy locking diff. TRD was incapable of limited-slip operation.

For you others out there, I'd like to hear from you.

TacoKroozr

alright assclown, your Thread is really not what forums are about. You come here and ask a dumbass question like why don't I have a LSD in my truck. You obvioulsly have no clue what your talking about. Bolt a LSD to the axle. Do you even know how gears work or the working parts? You knew when you bought the truck that it didn't have one. Why don't you go and search these stupid questions first then make an educated Thread before you go bash someone because they point out the obvious.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm sorry. My question wasn't meant to be accusatory (word?) Maybe I'm in the minority and maybe its because I don't have a lot of bank but if I spent what an 03 Tacoma 4x4 costs I would have done the kind of research your question begs before I bough it. I'm not sure if Tacos ever had LSD or could be outfitted with same. Hoss is right though. Everyone here wants to help. You gotta have a thick skin here sometimes though if you want to cozy up with truckers.

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4x4
77 Posts
I'd love to have a locking rear diff. , even would like limited slip I just got plain ole spider gears i think. If I where you TACOKRUZER I would send me your locker and get yerself a limited slip with a 4.88 ring gear, just remeber to match the front ;)

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
I don't recall 1st gen Tacos ever having LSDs as standard, but I'm sure with the knowhow and $$$ you could always put one in.

I think TuRDle had a valid question and I don't think he was being a smartass about it. Everyone just need to chill for a bit or count to 10.

·
OLD SCHOOL
2003 Tacoma pre-run
668 Posts
I don't recall 1st gen Tacos ever having LSDs as standard, but I'm sure with the knowhow and $$$ you could always put one in.

I think TuRDle had a valid question and I don't think he was being a smartass about it. Everyone just need to chill for a bit or count to 10.
NOW I have to count? sheesh

·
Registered
01 & 04 S-Runners
567 Posts
Your main problem (in installing an LSD) is the fact you have the TRD Off Road Package with the factory e-locker. The e-locker unit is based on the pre-Tacoma 'V6/Turbo' differential - a differential that was never used on Tacomas in stock form.

Some parts can be interchanged between the 'V6/Turbo' unit and the so-called '7.5' unit used in 2WD 5-lug Tacomas. However, I don't know if an entire '7.5' LSD can be fitted in the e-locker's 'V6/Turbo' carrier / housing.

If your 4X4 didn't have the TRD e-locker, it would have been equipped with the so-called '8.4' differential unit, which is completely incompatible with the 'V6/Turbo' and the '7.5' units. There are 2 good LSD's available for the '8.4':

- the (Eaton) TRD clutch-type LSD
- the Detroit TrueTrac (now owned by Eaton) gear-type LSD

Eaton / Detroit lists a TrueTrac application for the pre-Tacoma (pre-1995.5) 'V6/Turbo' rear end. However, I have no idea if this unit can be fitted into the TRD e-locker carrier / housing. My understanding is that the e-locker unit is a modified version of the 'V6/Turbo' unit, and I have no idea whether this modified version can accept a unit designed for the original 'V6/Turbo'.

The 'V6/Turbo' rear end continued to be used on 4Runners after Tacomas were introduced in 1995.5. I'd suggest checking to see what LSD(s) would be available for a similarly-equipped 4Runner. Otherwise, you're looking at experimentation or a rear end swap ....

·
Old Redneck Type
2000 Taco Prerunner
185 Posts
LSD's are what used to be known as a "Posi-Track" rear end. They are useful in a few situations, but on a truck I really do not see the need. I have a LSD on my 06 Mustang. Great for going down the street burning out, but suxors for wet weather and shifting gears. If you want to wreck out in a Mustang, Punch it in the rain. You become a Spinning Top real easy.

·
Registered
905 Posts
As stated up earlier, the TRD locking diff is a 8" ring gear, the non trd is 8.4". Also the axle housings are different as each carrier is different, so you can't simply swap out the third member for a 8.4". The only option to get rid of the e-locker is to swap the entire axle with non trd axle and install a lunchbox locker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts