Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything wrong with putting my line out in the trunk just before my rear speakers? It looks like super painless way to do it, but I see people putting them behind the dash close to the the head unit too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base 17 Camry SE
3,132 Posts
Is there anything wrong with putting my line out in the trunk just before my rear speakers? It looks like super painless way to do it, but I see people putting them behind the dash close to the the head unit too.

It would depend on the type of converter. If it's passive (doesn't need power) in the rear is fine. If it's active (needs power) behind the radio gives you easier access to power wires.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would depend on the type of converter. If it's passive (doesn't need power) in the rear is fine. If it's active (needs power) behind the radio gives you easier access to power wires.
I was looking at the lc2i which is active.. And i thought better.

Are the passive ones effective? Will i lose my back speakers with one?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I was looking at the lc2i which is active.. And i thought better.

Are the passive ones effective? Will i lose my back speakers with one?

As long as you splice into the wires, leaving the speakers hooked up they will still work.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts

If you want to install lc2i.
I presume that for the RCA output for conection to a AMP.

If it is the case why don't you buy a AMP with high level input with RCA pre output?

Almost all Alpine AMP as high level input with pre output RCA.

Hope this help
Sincerly yours.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I want to install the sub and keep the rear speaker function. I'm open to other solutions.

1) Line out converter
2) Amp with hi level input capability
3) New head unit with low level outputs

Any of these will allow use of amp and keep rear speakers operational

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
I want to install the sub and keep the rear speaker function. I'm open to other solutions.

For less than 500$ you get a reasonable Bass system.

Alpine 500-Watt Bass Package
-Alpine MRV-M500 amplifier class D 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms (1,000W peek)

-Sound Ordnance BB102-75S Bass Bunker

-Two Alpine SWA-10S4 BassLine Series 10" subwoofers (each):4-ohm 50-250 watts RMS (750W peek)

You will get 500W RMS (1,000w peek)from Alpine MRV-M500 amplifier at 1 or 2 ohms

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700BPKA2/Alpine-500-Watt-Bass-Package.html

Alpine RUX-KNOB will provide full controle of subwoofer volume for 29.99$.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RUXKNOB/Alpine-RUX-KNOB.html

For more punch you could get Alpine MRV-M1200 class D 1,200 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms (2,400W peek) and Alpine SWR-12D4 dual 4-ohm voice coils 300-1,000 watts RMS (500 watts per coil) and 3,000w peek!!!

Alpine MRV M-1200 is 399.99$ and SWR-12D4 is 249.99$. Because it not kit, and 12" enclosure is not include. Alpine Type R Sub reneed ported enclosure and recommend 1.7 cubic feet. 69.99$ for 1.60 cubic feet or dual 12" for 79.99$ for 1.61 cubic feet per chamber.

With two Alpine SWR-12D4 and MRV M-1200 you will certainly kick some ass.
Drive in 1 ohm you get 2,000 watts RMS!!!

Myself i have 3 Alpine amp in my 2015 Corolla. Alpine Alpine MRP-F600 100 watts RMS x 4 for Alpine SPR-69 Type-R 6"x9" 100w RSM rear, Alpine SPR-60C Type-R front speaker and tweeter 110W RMS. Alpine MRP-M500 with 2 12" dive in 2 ohm at 500w RMS and MRP-M1000 with a 10" dual 4 ohm set to 2 ohm a 1,000w RMS.

If you wonder why i have 10" and 12" sub it to get full spec of sound!!!

I remouve original 6X9 and install SPR-69 in enclosure than fix them to sub box with velcro. Because it not a hatchback the soud don't get from the trunt to the habitacle. This way the sound of the sub could pas to the OEM speaker hold.

To get no lost of power Lanzar Vector vcap5000 50 farad electronic 24v surcharge power capacitor!!! more detaile on why you nead a capacitor with a 500RMS sub.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...cion-im-2016/1321825-engine-block-ground.html

Finally, i hope it give you a peek on spec and prices.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already have the sub, it's a jla w1v2 13" looking at 500watt amps, but all of this is for another thread.

What are Passive LOC(cheapo?) pros and cons, vs the active(lc2)

I'm not afraid of running power to the trunk for an lc2, but do i need to?

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts

I already have the sub, it's a jla w1v2 13" looking at 500watt amps, but all of this is for another thread.

What are Passive LOC(cheapo?) pros and cons, vs the active(lc2)

I'm not afraid of running power to the trunk for an lc2, but do i need to?

You ask for solution to install sub you din't said that you all ready have 1 or 2 JLA w1v2 "13. The sub is all you got or you all ready have Amp, capacitor, fuse box, speaker and battery wirring, ETC!!!

So do you want to keep the original radio? If no get one with RCA output.

Why do you want to install LOC? because you all ready have your AMP? you don't need a LOC if Amp as hight or speaker level input.

If you all ready have you Sub enclusure, than Alpine MRV-M500 or a Amp with similar spcec is all you need.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You ask for solution to install sub you din't said that you all ready have 1 or 2 JLA w1v2 "13. The sub is all you got or you all ready have Amp, capacitor, fuse box, speaker and battery wirring, ETC!!!

So do you want to keep the original radio? If no get one with RCA output.

Why do you want to install LOC? because you all ready have your AMP? you don't need a LOC if Amp as hight or speaker level input.

If you all ready have you Sub enclusure, than Alpine MRV-M500 or a Amp with similar spcec is all you need.
My issue is only about where to install my line out converter. I understand most then other factors, i was trying to reply and give back story but the other parts are irrelevant entirely. I simply want to know the pros and cons of installing the loc(active or passive) near the dash behind the radio, or in the trunk with the subs.

I believe I need an loc to install a sub in my stock 2014 corolla as it doesn't have rcas in the back of the stock head unit If there's a better method I'm open to suggestions.

So far the only useful information to me has been about active vs passive, when i brought it up you wanted me to buy a whole bunch of shit. Lol

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Corolla
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if the amp has a little wording harness with speaker level input I can just splice the amp in from there? Is there some reason why this isn't more common? Lol seems like it would put all the LOC s out of production

·
Registered
2015 Corolla s
801 Posts
So if the amp has a little wording harness with speaker level input I can just splice the amp in from there? Is there some reason why this isn't more common? Lol seems like it would put all the LOC s out of production

That wath i went to know why you want to use a LOC!?!?
Yes Speaker or high input level is connect directly from rear, front or both headunit speakers output.

Finally, as Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Boss, JVC, ETC new Amp all got speaker or high level i don't know why they still sell LOC !!!

·
Registered
'15 Corolla
30 Posts

Hello Unity,

Yes, now days many amps have high level speaker input options and they do render line out converters useless. However, most people have aftermarket head units that use the RCA from the amp anyways so many people don't use either of these two.

To answer your original question, you can certainly tap into your rear speaker wires if it is more convenient for you (this is what i did), it will produce the same results as going directly from the rear of the head unit.

·
11th Gen Rolla Enthusiast
'16 Toyota Corolla S
97 Posts
All I did for mine was run the power line from the battery to the trunk on the driver side. I used a High/Low converter by tapping the rear speakers and dropping the lines into the trunk then hooking up the converter. Also pulled the head unit and spliced the tiny gray accessory wire and ran that to the rear on the passenger side. Then just hook up everything to the sub and your all good. Super easy. I ended up pulling most of the trim pieces out to access everything haha. I'm running a 12" Kenwood and a 1000 watt amp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.