Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, let me just say that TN has taught me everything I know about my car- it wouldnt be anything remotely close to what it is today if it werent for the veterans of this site and the things they got done for our community- especially through group buys. I want to find a way to somehow give back to the community that has given birth to my car and my love for tuning culture.

Here is the scoop. Im sure you guys saw that Matt (Redphoenix) is selling the lip spoiler from his gen 3 that he bought from me last fall, which I had bought from kmorphosis last summer. Anyway, there was a lot of interest expressed in this spoiler both when I had it and when Matt installed it. I ended up selling it to Matt because I purchased my carbon fiber trunk from Nate and no longer had a use for it, not to mention Matt is a good friend of mine.

Well, to make along story short Matt has moved on from his camry to a new car... This means its do or die time for this spoiler. Matt cant be sitting on two cars right now and needs to sell the camry. Its a huge hassle for him to have to remove the spoiler, ship it, fill the holes, and then paint the trunk before he can sell his camry- SO...

Here is what im proposing. I recently came into some money from a relative that passed away and I have a somewhat comfortable coushin to where I think I could make this work. I am working with Matt right now on this because I dont want the spoiler to leave the community. Itd be a real bummer to have it go to someone who knows nothing about it and have it be lost forever.

Anyway, what I want to do is buy the spoiler from Matt- which is a difficult thing right now because despite the money, I have some HUGE changes coming to my car in the next two months and really cant afford to do this right now as well. I want to get the spoiler from Matt for whatever it takes so that i have it...

I have found a guy (family friend) who works with making carbon hulls for his race stand-up jet skis. He is fairly sure he has the capability to make me a mold and craft me a lip spoiler out of carbon fiber. I have sent him images of the spoiler and he should hopefully get back to me sometime this weekend/next week about if he thinks for sure he can accomplish this. If he can, that will be exactly what I want:D

After that is done, which could take several months, since this will be a side project for him and he will still have a regular job to get to, I will have three things: A one-off carbon lip spoiler, the original lip spoiler, and a mold of the lip spoiler. Assuming he will give me the mold and it is suitable for another material that would be cheaper and easier to come by, I will have a mold of the gen 3 lip spoiler.

Here is where you guys come in- first of all, I will have the original spoiler I molded and most likely will sell it to try to make some of my money back. Im sure I wont get what Matt will get for it, but I will need to make some money back. My first question is if anyone would be interested in it and what you would pay (ballpark offers) for the original spoiler.

My next idea is this: someone with the means to have these spoilers produced (whether it be by a manufacturer or by themselves) will get the mold from me and try to get a group buy done for the community at what would hopefully be a reasonable price. This all depends on both how many participants we get and who we get to make them. I would probably have to charge for the mold, but not much at all- the price would be very reasonable and most likely would be there only to cover shipping and time costs.

What I want to know from you guys are these things:

1. Would anyone be interested in the original spoiler later (for a cheaper price)?

2. Would anyone have the resources to get these made somewhere with a mold?

3. Would you be willing to participate in a group buy if these were to get produced?

4. What would you pay for one?

I know I will get flamed for believeing that all of this could work and there are a lot of hypotheticals, but I would really love to somehow give back and make this happen for the gen 3 community. I would most likely not be running the actual group buy since I have nowhere to go in michigan that could utilize this mold, but I will see what i can find. Just post up any thoughts you have on the possibilites of this, Im open to anything. Sorry that got so long, I just would love to see this go through. Im on all the time so leave or pm questions if you have them!

damon

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some images I took when i test fitted the spoiler on my car:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
though im not sure what situation im gonna be in when the reproduced ones come around, if my funds are in order, id be in for one. where did that thing come from anyways origionaly? it almost looks like the stock spoiler...but shorter and without the tail light.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah no one honestly really seems to know where it came from... the most common rumor is it was an option in the gulf states, but it has never been confirmed. Mine was only the second Ive ever seen here in Michigan...

Lets atleast start a group of interested parties... just so I know if Im wasting my time or not. You arent committing to anything right now, youd just like to have one on your car/think potentially maybe there is a *tiny* smidge of hope that this could work out someday...

Intersted:

dysk8forlife
bigbird

I know group buys almost never work out- trust me, I have seen many of them fail in my 3 and a half years on tn, but Im throwing it out there anyway because I think it would be awesome for everyone (thats left) to have access to this spoiler.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Ok, talking to my friend, and this IS in the works currently BTW. We've been talking about it, and when it should look like. It will likely be a tad different, but keep the same, clean, nice, OEM look, and have an OPTIONAL 3rd LED brake light.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
gulf state thing is bullshit, i see atleast 1 car a week here with that spoiler...

good luck guys!

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
1. would the spolier be in ok condis to re-paint / mount it?
2. i dont really know anybody but i can get someone to mold and produce these
3. i would buy one spoiler if produced
4. same as above ^^^

1. Would anyone be interested in the original spoiler later (for a cheaper price)?
2. Would anyone have the resources to get these made somewhere with a mold?
3. Would you be willing to participate in a group buy if these were to get produced?
4. What would you pay for one?

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
you live in la county and see a gen 3 cam with this same spoiler.. i dont think so

Razo-E said:
gulf state thing is bullshit, i see atleast 1 car a week here with that spoiler...

good luck guys!

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
this is kinda funny that you wanna do this..
i seen the for sale thread on here and wish i had the money to buy it..
but then someone said one of us should buy it and re-produce it
i mean it seems that a lot of us on here show a big interset for this spoiler

dysk8forlife said:
yeah no one honestly really seems to know where it came from... the most common rumor is it was an option in the gulf states, but it has never been confirmed. Mine was only the second Ive ever seen here in Michigan...

Lets atleast start a group of interested parties... just so I know if Im wasting my time or not. You arent committing to anything right now, youd just like to have one on your car/think potentially maybe there is a *tiny* smidge of hope that this could work out someday...

Intersted:
dysk8forlife
bigbird

I know group buys almost never work out- trust me, I have seen many of them fail in my 3 and a half years on tn, but Im throwing it out there anyway because I think it would be awesome for everyone (thats left) to have access to this spoiler.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
abew330 said:
you live in la county and see a gen 3 cam with this same spoiler.. i dont think so

yeah you're right, you ride shotgun with my ass wherever i go...

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Before they are produced, I'll prolly have them on my car (as the test car) to see IF ppl like them before the final production.

·
Registered
994 Posts
id buy one. but not for $300 lol

i think to get others in on a group deal you'd have to shoot for $75-$100 price range for an unpainted spoiler.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
for $75 you'd be hard pressed to find a banged up one in a junk yard..

$240 would be more than fair....

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
You all know I'm interested..Don't know anyone that could produce it tho! I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!..........Please someone make this happen!!! I'd reather have it without the third brake light tho!...How much is Red asking for it anyways?

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Joe, read the entire thing u nut. :lol: I said it's in the works. :D

And if ppl will only pay $100 for one, I'd tell my friend to not even bother, as it will cost more just to produce it. The normal one from the dealer is over $300.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
This is a bit off topic, but since you painted part of your rear tail light, can you still see the reverse lights when you put it in reverse?

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^:lol: no I just took the bulbs out, I roll without- you have to use your ninja tricks to back up at night :lol: (it sucks)

I hate to say it, but if eberyone wants to spend $75 on a custom spoiler, this will never happen. You have to realize that they make NOTHING for this car and getting these produced would be a huge business venture- it would cost more than $75 for them to actually make one, let alone sell it to us.

Joe, YGPM sir!

Everyone else, lets just keep the interest/discussion going for this. After talking with Adam it sounds as though he is working closely with someone already to make this thing happen, so Im thinking we wont need the mold I end up with. I am still going to produce my own one-off carbon spoiler for my car, and I will still be selling Matt's (most likely) once I am done with the mold.

So lets keep discussion/interest building- Adam will need our support if we want to make this happen! Please keep in mind guys, this is probably going to cost you atleast $200. This is for a low production, practically one off spoiler- that's just how it goes when you get custom parts produced, you have to pay to play.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts