Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't pinpoint the location but, intermittently, I hear a sound like water rolling behind the speedometer and tachometer when I stop or take off or sometimes when I turn a corner.

It's mostly behind this area but I've heard it also behind the three adjustment knobs for the fan, heater etc.

I don't have a clue what could be causing the sound. The car runs fine, uses some oil, transmission slips a little sometimes but no other big issues.

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Check to make sure that the drain tube from the AC drip tray has not clogged. I'm sorry I can't tell you where it comes out under your car, but I don't know.

I cannot count the number of times I've heard complaints of "sloshing" in the dash area and most times it's because you have a small swimming pool back there because the condensation from the AC cannot drain away. And the AC can come on with defrost any time the temperature is above freezing (though I don't know at what precise temperature Toyota allows the AC compressor to kick in).

·
Mechanic by Necessity!
60 Posts
If you jack up the car, you should be able to locate the aforementioned HVAC condensate drain (open-ended hose). Our old VW Rabbits used to get the drain stopped up. I think I got a gallon of condensate out of one of them after opening it up with a coat hanger! Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check to make sure that the drain tube from the AC drip tray has not clogged. I'm sorry I can't tell you where it comes out under your car, but I don't know.

I cannot count the number of times I've heard complaints of "sloshing" in the dash area and most times it's because you have a small swimming pool back there because the condensation from the AC cannot drain away. And the AC can come on with defrost any time the temperature is above freezing (though I don't know at what precise temperature Toyota allows the AC compressor to kick in).
Thanks for the reply. There is a AC drain hose that comes out under the passenger seat and drains on the ground. I've used the Toyota AC Power Foam Evaporator Cleaner and Refresher kit on the vehicle twice in the past and that drain hose is where you shoot the foam into the system. It sticks out about 2 inches from the undercarriage of the vehicle.

Pretty warm weather today so I had the AC on and noticed it was draining out condensation after I parked so I don't think the tube is clogged.

I'll do some more research on a drip tray though. That sounds like it could be in a different location...like behind the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you jack up the car, you should be able to locate the aforementioned HVAC condensate drain (open-ended hose). Our old VW Rabbits used to get the drain stopped up. I think I got a gallon of condensate out of one of them after opening it up with a coat hanger! Cheers!
Thanks for the reply.
I've used the Toyota AC Power Foam Evaporator Cleaner and Refresher kit on the vehicle twice in the past and that drain hose is where you shoot the foam into the system. It sticks out about 2 inches from the undercarriage of the vehicle.

Pretty warm weather today so I had the AC on and noticed it was draining out condensation after I parked so I don't think the tube is clogged.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,591 Posts
Could be low coolant level and coolant circulating through the heater core(Anytime engine is running) can make sounds you describe. Let engine run with radiator cap off until cooling fans operate several times. This may eliminate air from cooling system. Regards

·
Registered
274 Posts
Could be low coolant level and coolant circulating through the heater core(Anytime engine is running) can make sounds you describe.
Not that this isn't worth checking, but the sound I've heard that make is generally more of a gurgling sort of sound, and not dependent on whether one is cornering in any way since it's triggered by when air happens to be getting pushed through.

When I hear anyone say "rolling water" and that rolling occurs in a pronounced way on stops, starts, and cornering I instantly think pooling somewhere. That somewhere is usually the AC evaporator drip tray.

And to address the OP's observation that they saw drips, the clog need not be 100%. I've seen certain clogs that act very much like intentional one-way valves, that once the pressure from the retained pool above them is sufficient they'll let something through. But as soon as whatever amount is enough has drained, the opening "snaps shut" again. Don't presume you have an either/or situation where it's either clogged or not clogged. I'd still run something up through that tube, relatively gently, to see if you then get a sudden release of a lot more water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that this isn't worth checking, but the sound I've heard that make is generally more of a gurgling sort of sound, and not dependent on whether one is cornering in any way since it's triggered by when air happens to be getting pushed through.

When I hear anyone say "rolling water" and that rolling occurs in a pronounced way on stops, starts, and cornering I instantly think pooling somewhere. That somewhere is usually the AC evaporator drip tray.

And to address the OP's observation that they saw drips, the clog need not be 100%. I've seen certain clogs that act very much like intentional one-way valves, that once the pressure from the retained pool above them is sufficient they'll let something through. But as soon as whatever amount is enough has drained, the opening "snaps shut" again. Don't presume you have an either/or situation where it's either clogged or not clogged. I'd still run something up through that tube, relatively gently, to see if you then get a sudden release of a lot more water.
Thanks. I'll try to fish something in the line.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Go to home depot or lowes buy a few feet of small stranded cable not like speaker wire but cable used to anchor things they have small flexible cable makes a good snake for stuff like this. Also good for fishing in small areas to pull speaker wires back through LOL. Ihave a few feet and have used it for a many little jobs like this.

·
Registered
2005 Camry SE V6
56 Posts
Go to home depot or lowes buy a few feet of small stranded cable not like speaker wire but cable used to anchor things they have small flexible cable makes a good snake for stuff like this. Also good for fishing in small areas to pull speaker wires back through LOL. Ihave a few feet and have used it for a many little jobs like this.
Would you be able to post a picture of the small stranded cable you have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I still haven't gotten around to trying anything on it. I was thinking a coat hanger wire would probably be to stiff and the end could rip the line so I've been wondering what I could use but now you've given me an idea. I'll look some up next time in home depot.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,591 Posts
Most hardware stores and home/ranch stores carry stranded cable in various sizes. Just cut a section out of a coat hanger and bend a hoop at one end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts