Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so for I love my 2020 Camry SE+. But what I hate about it is when I listen to my music stored on a USB stick. Right now I have all the bands in their own folders on the root of the USB stick. Within each band folder, I have all their albums and within each album folder I have the songs. This is how it is when I look at the USB stick in my windows 10 machine. But in my car is not so straight forward. In the car, how do I see all the band folders I created in the root of the USB stick so that I can go into that folder, select which album i want to hear and then listen to the songs? when I pop in the USB stick and search using "Artists" or "folders", I don't see exactly what I see on my windows 10 machine. when I search using artists, i see several artists/bands that I don't have folders for. for example, I have a folder called "Various Artists" and within that I have Dio's tribute album which is an album with different bands covering Dio songs. so when I search for "Artists", I see each of those bands listed. And if I have other tribute albums, I see all those individual artists/bands listed, etc. so if the root of my usb stick has 10 band folders, I will actually see alot more than that. If I search using "folders", I still don't see what I see on my windows 10 machine. I don't remember exactly what I see. i'm not in my car right now. I also have a folder in the root of the usb stick called "new" which contains my newest music. I put the "" in front of it so it comes up at the top of the list. but not so in my car. I don't even see that folder in my car. how do I make this easier? basically I just want to select which band I want to listen to (according to the folders I have in the root of the USB stick), which album i want to listen to and start playing it. thanks for any help

·
Registered
737 Posts
When you browse the files on your computer, you're looking at filenames. The car is probably using the ID3 tag info which is different (specifically Artist and Album Artist). Cleaning up the ID3 tags is a pain in the butt, but that would probably fix your issues.

USB is poorly implemented on these cars. I wanted it to be great, but it's terrible. Bluetooth works much better IMO.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do I clean up the ID3 tags? do I do it on my win10 machine? the files are .wav and .flac files and some .mp3 files.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,832 Posts
I've always used windows media player to sort and add idtags to the songs i ripped off of cds. If you purchased the music online then the idtags should already be on each song. If you ripped it from the cd or downloaded online for free cough...then you'll have to use windows media player or itunes to automatically add idtags information on each song by using their music data base. Make sure the titles on the tags are correct since it uses the titles to find the right song information

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remove all ID3 tags, will my car see everything as folders and files like my PC does? and will the car know what title is playing, etc? I just need the car to read the folder names and file names. they tell me everything I need to know.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,832 Posts
I never tried that, i always had idtags on mine. Most likely the songs will be under a folder named Unknown on the cars radio. If you want to separate the songs via band name and album, you'll need the idtags.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the car ignores folder and files names and only goes by the IDtags?

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,832 Posts
Yes. I am pretty sure most vehicles do that and also computers. itunes and windows media player adds the id3tags and sorts them into folders by the band name and album based on the id3tags

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's worse than that. While the system will find albums, even if you use pristine ID3 tags, it ignores the track numbers and defaults to an alphabetical sort. On collection albums, is you use random selection, that's OK but if you have albums with Broadway shows, movie scores, classical pieces, etc, the only way to get a proper order is to place the track numbers before the song title in the ID3 tag. There is another problem as well. Let's say you have a Smooth Jazz album with songs by many different artists. If you ask Voice Recognition to play that album, it will give you a list of the artists, not the actual songs. The work around is to put the same generic artist name in the ID3 tag for each song i.e. Smooth Jazz Artist. That's the only way that I've found that VR will bring up the album's song list. It's a royal pain but this is the the lack of attention or concern that Toyota has had for those of us who use a flash drive as music device.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
I have the same problem. Sometimes the entune system splits my mixes some how and rearranges all the files and places them in a different folder. This problem occurs every once in awhile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd gotten tired of the way the tunes were labled. Used MP3tag (free) to fix the problem. First, the car reads the filename and uses that to display for song title, then uses the info from ID3 to fill in the artist, album, genre, etc. MP3tag allows you to rename the mp3 (or flac, even) so the system will display properly. Now, when I take my elderly neighbor (93) up to the big city, I just choose 40's and she's happily quiet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am not sure how modern Toyota Head Units work, but I buy the CD's. Rip them using Perfect Tunes which searches online databases to ensure accurate meta data in the files, which I can edit at the time of ripping the CD. Then I rip them to uncompressed flac files. I drop them on my Note 8 on the 512GB memory card.

Then I use Power Amp Media Player (Android) to do all the cataloging. Pair the phone with the head unit over blue tooth and all I have to do is track forward, track reverse and volume controls on the steering wheel. Never have to pick up the phone.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,590 Posts
like D_Orygun said, use mp3tag. If all titles would "mirror" filenames the list will play in order.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a zune or ipod might, but I don't have one. I have a corporate phone that doesn't let me put anything on it. I will try mp3tag and see. Is it free?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Baneling
Here's what I did,I had a 2013 Camry,the media port read my music files the same as my Windows PC,When we got our 2017Rav Platinum,the media port read the exact same USB all different and jumbled. Sooo what I did was took a blank Usb and put one song on there and went back and forth from the car to the PC and million times,I would change the properties of the song on the PC till I got it the way I finally liked it,THEN,on my PC,(with all my backed up copies of my USB music) went and changed each song's properties(under details) to the way I wanted them.,I wouldn't go with all the extras,I have Genre,title name,the artist(for different groups) Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd gotten tired of the way the tunes were labled. Used MP3tag (free) to fix the problem. First, the car reads the filename and uses that to display for song title, then uses the info from ID3 to fill in the artist, album, genre, etc. MP3tag allows you to rename the mp3 (or flac, even) so the system will display properly. Now, when I take my elderly neighbor (93) up to the big city, I just choose 40's and she's happily quiet.
I installed MP3tag. do you know how to make the title (on the left side) the same as the filename? but I want to do all the songs in one shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great! Sure-- select songs (or 1 for now), across the top are the yellow arrows with red dots.. hovering over one of those will show it's format; clicking on one will open the naming convention ( %title%, etc.,). Google "using mp3tag" for how-to and videos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts