Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am reading the factory service manual from Toyota for 97 Camry, and I am a bit confused. In the front brake caliper section, the manual calls for two different type of grease, they are Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease and Disc Brake Grease.

After my extensive research, I have decided the "Disc Brake Grease" must be anything grease that can with stand high temperature and high pressure. Hence, Mobil1 Synthetic Universal Grease should do just fine with its 450 degree max temperature. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On the other hand, my 2 years search for Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease turn up nothing. Not in a single store, google had fail, yahoo had fail... it is as if such product does not exist!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I figure someone must sell the dame thing... Help???? Oh, please don't tell me just to buy the Disc Brake Grease that is usually found in auto part store. If such product is indeed the Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease, please provide some reference or explaination why don't they just label the package with Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease!!!

Thanks
ASM

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too was and still am looking for this grease replacement that I need to apply to my brake caliper sliding pins. None of the stores have them, and Toyota does not sell it.
They provide it with there caliper rebuild kit. I tried the grayish antisieze compound and that just cakes and hardens on these pins.

Ive heard Synthetic Disk Brake Grease or EZ Slide brake grease.
I'll have to look for that Mobile1 Synthetic universal grease.
Does anyone know what is similar to this Lithium soap base glycol grease ?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Look for a moly or lithium based high temperature grease, a product stating “high temperature brake grease.” Auto parts store should have high temp lithium grease.

Or find out what the Toyota uses from the parts department, guessing a high temp lithium grease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for the same lithium soap base glycol grease and came across Valvoline Red #2 grease. It seems that it's just bearing grease. The synthetic mobil 1 grease should work fine. That is what I have and will use for my rear brake adjuster. Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guys,

I am reading the factory service manual from Toyota for 97 Camry, and I am a bit confused. In the front brake caliper section, the manual calls for two different type of grease, they are Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease and Disc Brake Grease.

After my extensive research, I have decided the "Disc Brake Grease" must be anything grease that can with stand high temperature and high pressure. Hence, Mobil1 Synthetic Universal Grease should do just fine with its 450 degree max temperature. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On the other hand, my 2 years search for Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease turn up nothing. Not in a single store, google had fail, yahoo had fail... it is as if such product does not exist!!!

I figure someone must sell the dame thing... Help???? Oh, please don't tell me just to buy the Disc Brake Grease that is usually found in auto part store. If such product is indeed the Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease, please provide some reference or explaination why don't they just label the package with Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease!!!

Thanks
ASM
Ditto!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guys,

Thanks
ASM
I brought up the LSBGG to the Toyota parts guy. He crinkled his forehead, and looked at me like I was crazy. He said that they have some $200 high performance grease to sell me, but never heard of LSBGG. I'd like to come back with the dozens of pages from Toyota TIS that references LSBGG, and put that on his key board. But I won't.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
This thread is over 10 years old.

But I think they’re talking about this. Toyota p/n 08887-01206.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts