Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got out to my car after school today.
Started her up, like normal. I saw my friend in the mirror, coming to my car from behind, and I revved the engine a bit to get his attention. I noticed in my mirror a bit of smoke for the first time! It wasn't black, it was rather light, and it wasn't blue. It was a bit thick, but not enough to cause alarm.
I got home and parked it, and held it at 2000 RPM's to see if more smoke would come out. A little more, but not as much.
I shut it off and stayed in the car with everything off, while I was on the phone. I was looking straight ahead and noticed smoke coming from under my hood, rolling across it and the windshield, but not enough to indicate a fire. I popped the hood and looked under - nothing. No more smoke either.

A few hours later, after it sat, I cranked it up and gave it 2000 RPMs, and a very small amount came out, not even enough for my dad to see, though I could see it in my mirror. A few minutes later, I cut it off after I parked it, and went back out to crank it back up to have my dad look at it. I again gave it 2000 RPM's, nothing came out.
I do add fuel additive, Lucas fuel injector stuff, don't remember the name.
Could it have been cleaning out crap or something?
It's a 1993 Toyota Camry 2.2l.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
How many miles does your Camry have? A common problem is deteriorating seals so oil is seeping in while the engine is off. Switching to a thicker oil (I run 10W-40 in the gen 3.5 with the same problem) will help but it's only a temporary fix, you'll have to address the problem eventually.

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have about 132,400 miles. I had pretty much every seal replaced a couple hundred miles ago, there should be no leaks at all.
Some seals include the head gasket, the O-rings, the distributor seal, and a few others that I don't remember right now.

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
Thats wierd that you'd get smoke from under the hood, was there a smell when you opened the hood to check? Also check your radiator fluid levels while the car is cold, is it lower than it was before? (assuming it was in between full and empty on the line)

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check them tomorrow as it is about time for me to hit the hay. And yeah, there was a smell, like hot rubber, smelled normal to me though. I'm wondering if my timing belt or new distributor or one of my seals is getting set in or something. *Shrug*

·
Registered
camry
60 Posts
thts often the trouble, after a service like the one u had where u replaced all the seals something is bound to go wrong, mine smokes up at the begining after its been sitting there for a while and then goes away, so the problem with mine is the rubber stem seals are worn...using thicker oil will work but like islandboy57 said its only temporary. You might wanna go back to the mechanic that changed your seals

1 - 7 of 7 Posts