Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
You’re right! There’s something wrong with yours.

I just checked, and mine is unaffected by plugging in the phone. The radio plays uninterrupted!

Is a music app open on the phone? If so it will continue where you left off and the car auto switches to that input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
1,885 Posts
Correct. I’ve been listening to my favorite FM stations(showing info on top of the display) while connected to CarPlay. I can use the mode button to go through all the choices with ease.
The issue I have is that FM radio stops as soon as you plugin your phone (and you have to press MODE button to switch source back to FM). It should still keep playing, until such time that there is some app being started which wants to use Audio.
If you have any music app or any app that uses audio, in the background, when you plug in to use carplay it'll automatically play. May it be, spotify, pandora, apple music, youtube, and etc.
I just tried it with spotify in the background and it switched to it. I closed out all the apps and tried it again and it stayed on FM radio.

·
hrgutman
95&05 Camry, 95 BM
4 Posts
Phone call today from dealer

I have a 2018 Camry LE and I have hated the info system since the day AFTER I bought the car.

Got a phone call this afternoon from my Toyota dealer inviting me to come in for a free upgrade to the info system, in particular to add "Apple Play."

What's going on. Is this a new upgrade? Will this finally allow me to use a GPS system on the info system? A good system, or a Toyota system that is half the quality of those on Waze or Google Maps, etc.?

On a recent long trip, I used the Waze maps on my cell phone, and it ran a tremendous usage bill on my available data quotient. Will this happen using ApplePlay?

Where can I get a tutorial to teach me about this new system before I commit to it?

thanks, /hank [email protected]

Is this a worthwhile upgrade, even if it is free?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2018 Camry LE and I have hated the info system since the day AFTER I bought the car.

Got a phone call this afternoon from my Toyota dealer inviting me to come in for a free upgrade to the info system, in particular to add "Apple Play."

What's going on. Is this a new upgrade? Will this finally allow me to use a GPS system on the info system? A good system, or a Toyota system that is half the quality of those on Waze or Google Maps, etc.?

On a recent long trip, I used the Waze maps on my cell phone, and it ran a tremendous usage bill on my available data quotient. Will this happen using ApplePlay?

Where can I get a tutorial to teach me about this new system before I commit to it?

I’m sorry, but this has been thoroughly discussed throughout this forum your on. A simple search would have answered every question you posed here.

Here’s a good place to start: Apple CarPlay Update Files (18 Camry/Sienna & 18/19 Lexus Models)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90794&share_tid=1652876&url=https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1652876&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts

I just updated it at my home took me 30m and easily simple steps
Worth every bit! Now I can use car play or android auto on my screen and sound is way better on it then Bluetooth! Love it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question on making phone calls with CarPlay:

With every other CarPlay equipped car I have had, I could use the phone button on the steering wheel, and say “ call John Smith” and CarPlay would initiate the call. Currently, with the phone plugged in, and CarPlay activated, when I push the phone button on the steering wheel, the etune system activates and can’t find the contact. So I either hit the CarPlay phone button on the main display, or I have to use Siri on the iPhone to initiate a call.

What isn’t set up correctly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question on making phone calls with CarPlay:

With every other CarPlay equipped car I have had, I could use the phone button on the steering wheel, and say “ call John Smith” and CarPlay would initiate the call. Currently, with the phone plugged in, and CarPlay activated, when I push the phone button on the steering wheel, the etune system activates and can’t find the contact. So I either hit the CarPlay phone button on the main display, or I have to use Siri on the iPhone to initiate a call.

What isn’t set up correctly?
Press and hold the talk face guy for 2 seconds and Siri responds.

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
656 Posts
But still, his original point remains, why isn't the PHONE button on the steering wheel smoothly integrated into Carplay?
Because carplay is an app that runs on Toyota's entune system and entune has a priority.

Sent from my 130XE

·
Registered
9 Posts
But still, his original point remains, why isn't the PHONE button on the steering wheel smoothly integrated into Carplay?
His original post was about activating Siri. With CarPlay, you press the talk button to do it. Which is the right button. So I answered his question. With Entune you pressed the phone button which is not intuitive. Read more carefully, or contribute something useful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually I think it is. After getting the excellent direction from this thread I tried it and it works great. It just takes a long push (I don’t think it’s near two seconds) instead of a tap.

·
Registered
18 Camry XSE Pearl
9 Posts
I enjoyed parts of the entune suite. The navigation was complete crap. Carplay is great but its literally just a simple mirror image of your phone so its not anything groundbreaking IMHO. I also think it is kind of finicky. Would have been great to BT into the radio instead of having to be tethered. But I am happy with it for sure. I think entune was decent.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts