Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am considering buying a new commuter and really want a manual transmission. I have researched the Versa and the Jetta and both are meh when it comes to reliability and overall quality. I am interested in what Corolla owners like/dislike about there car. Manual transmission only please as I’d rather die than drive a cvt. Just any input mpg, reliability, quality issues, grievances, etc. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Hatchback XSE
167 Posts
It’s fun in my opinion. I am averaging about 27-28MPG all city driving. It’s hard not to push the gas pedal more than I really should.

I only have 1500 miles on it but it has been very reliable so far. I drive the hatchback XSE trim.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Honestly the only thing I really hate about it is the lack of android auto (2019). Other than that it is fairly drama free; though I would suggest moving down to a 17' tire for comfort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best 6mt gearbox I've driven out of 20+ owned cars
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was looking up the final gear and it was like 0.39:1 do y’all find y’all stay in fifth gear a lot it is that a useable overdrive at say 60mph?

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
637 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was looking up the final gear and it was like 0.39:1 do y’all find y’all stay in fifth gear a lot it is that a useable overdrive at say 60mph?
I use 6th much lower than that

Reactions: Codester

·
straight cash homie
21,313 Posts
Hey everyone I am considering buying a new commuter and really want a manual transmission. I have researched the Versa and the Jetta and both are meh when it comes to reliability and overall quality.
I kind of like the Jetta, since you can have the manual with various trims (R-Line and GLI especially)...I would only consider leasing one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey everyone I am considering buying a new commuter and really want a manual transmission. I have researched the Versa and the Jetta and both are meh when it comes to reliability and overall quality. I am interested in what Corolla owners like/dislike about there car. Manual transmission only please as I’d rather die than drive a cvt. Just any input mpg, reliability, quality issues, grievances, etc. thanks in advance!
1,000% Con for city driving and ridiculous traffic

·
straight cash homie
21,313 Posts
Only con i have is storage space. It is afterall a toyota so it will run forever with basic maintance.
But one thing with newer Corollas is electronics like all the TSS stuff, and that's newer cars in general. They might fail before the car's basic engine and stuff though. Plenty of 'old' Corollas with bad TPMS sensors but not worth fixing, but the cars themselves are still reliable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2019 HB MT. The car hasn't seen the dealer since I bought it. It has the nicest MT of any vehicle I've owned and I won't reveal how many decades back I go with them or cars such as S2000's that I've owned. :) Unlike the Civic I considered, which had a CR transmission which had me quick shifting up to 6th then buzzing down the hwy at high rpm, the Corolla has a Wide Ratio transmission with nice tall 5th and 6th gears. Rev matching IMT is wonderful and I use it all the time. This car has far exceeded my expectations as far as fun to drive, quiet hwy touring, and build quality. As an example I live off a 1 lane dirt/gravel road, which takes me to what used to be a paved road that in reality is in worse shape than the dirt road. This is what I drive just to get to a paved road and after two years there's not the slightest squeak in this car.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
637 Posts
But one thing with newer Corollas is electronics like all the TSS stuff, and that's newer cars in general. They might fail before the car's basic engine and stuff though. Plenty of 'old' Corollas with bad TPMS sensors but not worth fixing, but the cars themselves are still reliable.
I'm glad mine didn't come with tps my Hondas were plagued with bad ones and you had to buy oem or it wouldn't calibrate...

·
straight cash homie
21,313 Posts
I'm glad mine didn't come with tps my Hondas were plagued with bad ones and you had to buy oem or it wouldn't calibrate...
Yeah, one of my Corolla's TPMS sensors seemed to be going bad. During my ownership, the light would go off and I would just chalk it up as it was too sensitive to the cold. Would go away when it was hot, then come back sometimes when the temps dropped. Then, I didn't just didn't care anymore because new car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I usually shift to 6th once I hit 45MPH and even then the Corolla still accelerates fairly quick in 6th.

I’ve driven several manuals since I first learned how to drive and this one by far is the best one. The clutch has nearly no resistance and shifting is very smooth. It took me a bit to get used to a 6th gear and to not put it in 6th when trying to reverse.

Comparing it to the Jetta; the VW is built in Mexico, my Corolla HB was built in Japan. I’ll take the more reliable Japanese built vehicle any day.

I think Toyota did right by this car. I’m really glad it doesn’t have a turbo since those require their own maintenance headaches. I’m looking forward to many years with it before one of my kids takes it over.

·
Registered
686 Posts
HB is my commuter car. I bought it two year ago, at the time when I drove to the office every day, and I opted for CVT due to heavy traffic at the time and stop-and-go commuter traffic.

If I was buying it today, when I am in office every other day and traffic is much lighter, I would had chosen MT...

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
265 Posts
When I was commuting to the office, as well as my other weekly around-town errand driving I was averaging 41-42 MPG overall weekly on my 6-MT 2020 Corolla SE sedan. When I stopped doing the early morning & early afternoon straight-shot, low-traffic commute to/from work (70 miles roundtrip), it dropped to 38 MPG. I tend to drive this 6-MT the same way I have driven all my 5-MT vehicles (I've never owned an automatic), & don't even use/engage 6th gear until I hit around 60-65 MPH (so, 6th isn't used much now that I don't work-commute anymore & do mostly around-town suburb driving at lower speeds).

I agree with you about CVT's, namely the mainstream budget-built push-belt design CVT's that almost all non-hybrid/UV vehicles use these days. If I was going to switch to an automatic on a new car, I would have to go with Mazda, since they still develop & build regular 6-speed geared automatics. I'm actually considering trading my 2020 Corolla for a 2022 Mazda CX-30 early next year, since I'm finding my new Corolla somewhat of a disappointment compared to my previous vehicle (2015 Toyota Yaris SE hatch 5-MT - a less expensive vehicle no-less). Plus, I also wouldn't mind having something now with a higher, softer & quieter ride, as well as a hatch again.

If I have to pick one thing that I hate the most about my Corolla, it would be the push-button/keyless system. Give me a regular key & remote fob any day over this erratic garbage. It can't even decide from one start to the next if it should start on the first push or the second push, even when I do everything exactly the same by the book. Half the time it just wants to power up the dashboard & all the basic systems minus the actual engine start, requiring a second push-start to actually start the engine. Toyota says everything is working normally, so go figure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I was commuting to the office, as well as my other weekly around-town errand driving I was averaging 41-42 MPG overall weekly on my 6-MT 2020 Corolla SE sedan. When I stopped doing the early morning & early afternoon straight-shot, low-traffic commute to/from work (70 miles roundtrip), it dropped to 38 MPG. I tend to drive this 6-MT the same way I have driven all my 5-MT vehicles (I've never owned an automatic), & don't even use/engage 6th gear until I hit around 60-65 MPH (so, 6th isn't used much now that I don't work-commute anymore & do mostly around-town suburb driving) at lower speeds.

I agree with you about CVT's, namely the mainstream budget-built push-belt design CVT's that almost all non-hybrid/UV vehicles use these days. If I was going to switch to an automatic on a new car, I would have to go with Mazda, since they still develop & build regular 6-speed geared automatics. I'm actually considering trading my 2020 Corolla for a 2022 Mazda CX-30 early next year, since I'm finding my new Corolla somewhat of a disappointment compared to my previous vehicle (2015 Toyota Yaris SE hatch 5-MT - a less expensive vehicle no-less). Plus, I also wouldn't mind having something now with a higher, softer & quieter ride, as well as a hatch again.

If I have to pick one thing that I hate the most about my Corolla, it would be the push-button/keyless system. Give me a regular key & remote fob any day over this erratic garbage. It can't even decide from one start to the next if it should start on the first push or the second push, even when I do everything exactly the same by the book. Half the time it just wants to power up the dashboard & all the basic systems minus the actual engine start, requiring a second push-start to actually start the engine. Toyota says everything is working normally, so go figure.
Thanks for the reply! What, besides the touch start, makes the Corolla a disappointment compared to the Yaris?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My only gripe would be the electric parking brake. With a manual you've gotta have a hand brake! :)

Odd, my push button start doesn't do that; as long as I have the clutch in, it starts right up. Have you had the dealer look at it?

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE
8 Posts
Had my 6mt hatch for about half a year now. Probably the only thing I have a gripe with is the electronic e-brake. I would much rather have a mechanical e-brake. Also not have remote start. But that's more of a creature comfort that I've had on my last 2 cars.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts