Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all.

Just signed onto your forum, as I have a question to ask. My mother has a '95 Previa (2TZ-FZE 4-cyl., we don't think it's the All-Trac model), and recently her supercharger died on her. She'd been having a horrendous grinding noise under acceleration for some time, and supposedly it got worse. Her mechanic said that a new one would be several thousand dollars, and a used/remanufactured one probably $700.

At the time she wasn't sure what to do. She couldn't afford either, so I told her to just rip it out for the time being, it'll still run.
Which it does--just very slowly. :D I am looking to find out a good online or semi-local (to her) junkyard or Toyota-oriented shop/performance garage which may help her out. Mind you, my wife and I live in Pennsylvania and she is just northwest of downtown Myrtle Beach in South Carolina. So my doing all the footwork hasn't been possible.

Currently we're deciding whether to sell the Previa and get her a new car. Thing is, it has a lot of miles on it, but it still runs well--this supercharger problem notwithstanding. Regardless, please let me know if you can help out. Thanks!

=S2=

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should go to an auto recycler and ask if they can help you find one. They usually are willing to contact other recyclers outside your region. Make sure you specify what the max you're willing to pay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Mom is going through one of those. She paid a $5 search fee, and they'll be networking to let her know what comes up.

Would it be an easy item to source on the forums, or is it a commonly-shared engine whose parts are in high demand?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
LonelyDriver said:
You should go to an auto recycler and ask if they can help you find one. They usually are willing to contact other recyclers outside your region. Make sure you specify what the max you're willing to pay.
problem is, I do believe that Previa supercharger issues are quite common... a junkyard unit may not last long at all.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
not to mention, isn't the previa the only car with teh SC14? most other factory supercharged use teh SC12, so it'd be really tough to find.

get her a new car, she's your mother, she deserves it. i say a new sienna, those things are nice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Believe me, if I could afford it, I would. :)

I'd much rather see her in a wagon, but I have to talk her into it.
She's in the "I like to be high up" mode, and it'll be hard to break... She bought her first Previa in like '91.

I'm a Subaru nut, so she knows what I want her to drive... Heh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
repinS said:
problem is, I do believe that Previa supercharger issues are quite common...
Really?

...Might have to do some heavier searching, in here....

If you know of any other threads on this though, feel free to post them.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I'm not 100% sure at all, everything I've heard is hear-say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts