Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 pickup with the 4 cylinder engine. It is also 2 wheel drive.
Could someone please explain and/or send a digital picture of where the coolant temp sensor is? Or send me a link to a manual site that shows it?
I have the Haynes manual, anmd the picture does not correspond with my engine.
Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, guys. I should have said that mine is the fuel-injected 4 cylinder engine. (22 RE).
There is nothing to the left of the oil cap.
Mine Haynes manual shows a picture of my engine on p. 31 (it is the 1995 edition of Haynes).
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I think I found it on the front of the intake manifold...it has a green connecor, and when I took it off, the sensor has a lighter grren inner sleeve.
Is this correct?
The problem I have is that the temp gauge never reads higher than slightly above the cold line. I took the connector off the sensor and ran a jumper between the 2 wires in the connector, and nothing changed on the gauge. Should it have gone to "hot"?
Would this most likely be the temp gauge itself since my fuel gauge works fine?
The temp gauge reads below the cold line with the engine off, but just barely above cold at all times that the engine is running.
Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
no , i thought u were looking for the coolant sensor for the efi. if u are looking for the gauge sensor it is side of block , by spark plug , cylinder#3. grey plug, single wire... jump it to ground with key on, and guage should go full hot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, deekay. I found it and when I ran the jumper wire from the connector to the battery ground, the coolant gauge went to "H". I guess the sensor must be bad. It should register at least a quarter of the way to hot when the truck is at operating temp, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
if the gauge is moving when u ground it, that tells u the gauge is ok. it normally runs at about half... so yes, the switch is probably going bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay,
I bought a new water temp sensor and replaced the old one. The needle barely goes above "C" despite how warm the engine is.
When I ground the wire, it goes to "H".
What could be the problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts