Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having shifting issues right now. I have my car on and just as Im about to try to shift into geat, the shifter cant engage the 1st gear or any gear. If I try to engage the shifter at times will either scrap on the spinning tranny or if I slam it into gear (wasent smart, so I didnt make it a habit) the car shut off. I CAN however...shift into gear while the car is off...stick moves freely without having to step on the clutch or anything. I can put it in 1st and after a few cranks it'll start and I can drive into 1st gear, but short of riding 1st gear all the way to my destination I cant get it to shift at all. I bleed the clutch fluid resovoir and put fresh fluid in, so its clear and not dark, no signs of air....I just unscerewed the bleeder bolt and had someone pump the clutch and spit all or it out like 3 to 5 times and hold the clutch down so
I could fill the resovoir and repeat. The clutch release clyinder seems to move, the clutch start button engages when it needs to and the fork thats under the clutch resovoir on the tranny (I think it leads to the clutch cables) from what I was told was moving when I would wiggle the stick etc , although I saw the line exposed due to the rubber off of it, but am not sure how to tell if it is faulty or not..havent found any pictures or faqs on it. But I still cant get it to go into gear. My question is based on the symptoms above..is it a clutch or synchro problem...cause I'd hate to replace the clutch just to find out that the tranny itself is shot since I gotta take the tranny out just to change the clutch. also, how invovled is it to take the tranny off? How many people have changed trannys/clutches before and what we're your expriences? Thanks in advance.

DOTMREP

1993 Toyota Tercel
JDM 5E-FHE Swap
5-Speed Tranny

P.S. What about the shift linkage, clutch cables etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
check your slave cylynder!...have u done tht yet?.... also make sure that the radiator hose is not blocking the clutch fork from moving..(look in the front of the tranny for this)

the clucth fork oinly move when you step on the clutch..wiggling the stick won't do anything. if it engages into first, and you can shift into all gars when its off, then its probably not ur clutch. if it doesnt go into gears when the car is off then it can be your clutch. is the tranny filled high enough with gear oil? check tht as well. and make sure its not Auto trans fluid...

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kene said:
check your slave cylynder!...have u done tht yet?.... also make sure that the radiator hose is not blocking the clutch fork from moving..(look in the front of the tranny for this)

the clucth fork oinly move when you step on the clutch..wiggling the stick won't do anything. if it engages into first, and you can shift into all gars when its off, then its probably not ur clutch. if it doesnt go into gears when the car is off then it can be your clutch. is the tranny filled high enough with gear oil? check tht as well. and make sure its not Auto trans fluid...
Slave cylinder has the bleeder screw on it right? See the manual has me crossed up since it says clutch release cylinder and not slave..its throwing me off. If its the one in front of the radiator then yes, it doesnt look abnormal and activates when I step on the clutch, hell...thats how I bleed the clutch fluid. I will get a 24mm socket and go thru the tranny again. If its not high enough, then that could contribute to this also? I'll get on it tonight. I can only get into 1st if I turn on the car an let it crank a few times and shift it into 1st BEFORE I turn on the car. If the car is on and the tranny is spionning..forget about it! No shifting! But yes, I can shift inmto geat while the car is off..clutch or no clutch depressed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah check your fluid.. the way you know that you have enough in there....is to fill it up thru the fill hole. and when it starts to trickle down the side of the bellhousing, then you know your good.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ok i have to disagree with you kene,
think about it, what does the clutch do, disengages/engages-
if car is off, this will mean trans is not spinning because engine is not spinning, clutch in or out, doesn't matter, so you'll be able to shift nontheless. Now if engine is running and your just sitting there without foot on clutch, that means trans and engine are connected, which means both are spinning. Now when you press the clutch in, what should happen is a disconnection of trans/engine for gear shift, but if clutch is not disconnecting them, then you'll just be forcing synchros together, and you'll grind and if you get it in it will just stall,

Sorry for the length, but Dotmrep, have you been beating the shit out of her?;)

Oh yeah the clutch release cylinder and slave are the same, could be a weak pressure plate, but my buddy had a problem with his clutch, we could only start it in gear and drive around in first, and it turned out it was his slave cylinder, so bleed the fuck out of it and when you're doing that, have the person hold the pedal and if fork slowly goes back then there's a leak, or it could be a weak pressure plate, jesus..._ANDY_pm me if you need to

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, interesting perspective....I'll do both again, good look on the info Kene/tercelsuperfast..very helpul. I'll keep you all updated..an if you think of anything else, let me know. Oh TSF, how much bleeding is bleeding? ..Lol...dry or what & how do IO prevent air from getting in the empty line to the clutch resovoir?

·
Registered
238 Posts
is this a new clutch?...my co worker and good friend had a problem shifting his manual pickup into gear. turns out one of the springs on the clutch broke thru its retainer and shot out...this is possible...but thruout this whole ordeal i have been assuming that his clutch is new....

did you put grease on the shaft?...if you did, this may be a problem...but then again ...the grease hasnb't turned into gunk yet because the car hasn't been driven around...

if your car is off, and you can put it into gears then its a sign that your tranny is good(nothing is wrong with the gears).

if the car is running and you can't put it into gear, it is possibly the synchros wont allow it, or you have a prblem with the clutch fluid system. there could be something else, but for right now thts all i can think of.

is this a tranny you've used b4?

when you installed the motor, were you able to get it into gear at one piont? and if so what did you do before it stopped going into gear?

·
Registered
238 Posts
tercel super..if there is a problem with the clutch fluid system...it doesn't matter if he steps on it or not....when i instzAlled my 5efhe i thought that there wasn't a problem with the clutch fluid system, but turns out there was...the pushrod slowly came out and pushing the clutch fork at a wrong angle...eventually i was stuck in first as my option to drive the car. until i found out what the problem was..

·
Registered
136 Posts
oh yeah, with the bleeding, as far as i've experienced, just like brakes, it is best not to just gravity bleed of course, and probably like pump/hold like 4 times then fill reservoir, and from what you said, seems like you bled it enough, but as i was sayin with my friend's accord, we had to bleed it a delirious amount, "is that enough!!!!!!!! HhH heheh he e h h...;"

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kene said:
is this a new clutch?...

a= no its not, had it for a while

did you put grease on the shaft

a=no, none

if your car is off, and you can put it into gears then its a sign that your tranny is good(nothing is wrong with the gears).

a=thank god, i dont have the funds with the move into the new crib coming up.

if the car is running and you can't put it into gear, it is possibly the synchros wont allow it, or you have a prblem with the clutch fluid system. there could be something else, but for right now thts all i can think of.

a=well, i've bleed the system once, but this time i'll bleed it dry. how do i stop the bleeder screw from sucking up air when the clutch is released?

is this a tranny you've used b4?

a=yes, been on since the swap

when you installed the motor, were you able to get it into gear at one piont? and if so what did you do before it stopped going into gear?

a=yes, i only had problems recently, never any issues before!

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kene said:
tercel super..if there is a problem with the clutch fluid system...it doesn't matter if he steps on it or not....when i instzAlled my 5efhe i thought that there wasn't a problem with the clutch fluid system, but turns out there was...the pushrod slowly came out and pushing the clutch fork at a wrong angle...eventually i was stuck in first as my option to drive the car. until i found out what the problem was..
yes YES! This is my problem all the way, I will have to watch the clutch release cylinder/slave as someone depresses the clutch, I can only see the rubber pyramind thing(dont laugh) move back an forth, since nothing else is really exposed short of the cylinder itself. I will have to really inspect it.

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tercelsuperfast said:
oh yeah, with the bleeding, as far as i've experienced, just like brakes, it is best not to just gravity bleed of course, and probably like pump/hold like 4 times then fill reservoir, and from what you said, seems like you bled it enough, but as i was sayin with my friend's accord, we had to bleed it a delirious amount, "is that enough!!!!!!!! HhH heheh he e h h...;"
cool, i will bleed and fill as listed above..just to be sure. i will have to by a few bottles of fluid..:p

·
Registered
238 Posts
when you bleed it....1)someone must step on the clutch 4-5 times and hold it after the last step, 2)then open the bleeders valve and let the fluid and air come out. when the fluid is beginning to start to slowly come out(due to lack of pressure) then you close the bleeder valve. 3) then they can let off othe clutch, and start from #1 again. keep doing this until you feel that there is no more air coming out. you can tell if the air is coming out just by listening to the sound of the fluid as the bleeder valve is released.

the bleeder valver i'm refering to is the one on the slave cylinder. tat is on the oputside of the tranny's bellhousing and 5 inches or so behind the radiator.

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotcha, so that is the one. There arent any other ones to bleed right? Ima definitely do it again like that.

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it good look. I will work on it today. I drained the tranny, not alot of oil in there. The pan was not nearly as full as I thought it would be. Gears might not have been lubricated enough, hope Im that lucky.

·
Registered
238 Posts
remmemmber, put enough gear oil in there until it trickles down the side of the filling hole. make sure you get the right gear oil. 75weight.

·
No BS ECTO/BYP Advocate!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, for the fill up, 2 -3 quarts?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts